1. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Playlist Polynesian Resort [1995]

Music loop playlist

1. jksoundman

jksoundman New Member

I have the Drum Beats of the Pacific CD & I do believe that these are in fact the correct tracks.

2. Magic Music

Magic Music Administrator Playlist Author

I can tell you that the music on Chants Et Danses De Tahiti: Rythms and Songs from Polynesia and Drum Beats of the Pacific is one in the same, just arranged in a different order, and that both CDs have the problem with "E Toro E" and "E Toro e Hoe" being cut slightly different than whatever Disney used as their source (most likely an LP).

My recommendation for anyone wanting to put this loop together, though, is to go ahead and scoop up one of the couple/few remaining copies of Drum Beats of the Pacific that are still out there.

Warning: Be careful not to download the MP3 album that Amazon is linking to here, as it's for a completely different volume, and none of its selections appear in the Polynesian loop.

3. Magic Music

Sound familiar?

I'm assuming the girl on the left is either in training or has her mind on something else as the girl on the right has a lot more motion in her ocean. ;)

4. hmansion

hmansion New Member

Just wanted to say thanks, Jay, for all your efforts on getting this playlist identified!

My wife and I got married at WDW a few years ago and stayed at the Polynesian, so the loop has always been a sentimental favorite of ours. We have been content with the induction recordings of the loop that are out there, but it's a real treat to recreate it with the real recordings! We've managed to scrounge up copies of most of the CDs at a cost of around $70, which was well worth it to finally have source quality audio as well as being introduced to some very good music/artists.

We have had no luck finding loop #9 "Tahiti Hits Vol 2" on CD - but the song "Haavei i Ua Huka" is on a french website (looks like a music-oriented YouTube) where I recorded the audio and thus have a much better recording than the previous induction. So now we have everything except for THE ELUSIVE #10! And as luck would have it, that is my favorite track in the loop :D ! Hopefully someone identifies it one day - I have a feeling I would like the artist's other work, just as I have now discovered Ohta-San, Roland Cazimero, the Pahinui Bros and the Maile Serenaders.

Oh, and thanks too to crxbrett for finding "Chants et Danses de Tahiti"!

Looking forward to seeing your results on the new Poly loop. Thanks again Jay!

-Steve

5. Magic Music

Newly formatted. Support topic cleaned up. :)

6. Magic Music

A Big Kahuna thanks to BleuLlama for providing me with the artist and song title for Track 10! :cool:

[​IMG]
    10. Kalele - Swinging 4:31
    Henry Kaleialoha Allen
    Magic of Steel Guitar
    CD   iTunes   MP3 

I'm linking to 2005/2007 re-releases here, but Henry Allen's Magic of Steel Guitar was first released in 1994, so it's most likely our source.

After many, many years of sampling many, many hundreds of Hawai'ian/Tahitian CDs, the quest is over. The fat hula lady has finally sung on this one! :)

hmansion likes this.
  7. Scott Lawrence

Scott Lawrence New Member

Huzzah! I have to admit though, I only found it by asking around a lot. I even asked Herb Ohta Jr, but he had no idea. Someone sent feedback through Subsonic, telling us the song. I'd love to say that I did the footwork on this one, but I cannot. I was just as ecstatic to find it out last night as i was to find your page listing all of the tracks' credits. :D

Any idea on the "Lanai Music" track? I'm trying to fill out my Polynesian Resort playlists now..

Aloha!

8. Magic Music

Been there done that. I tried DJs at Hawai'ian radio stations, musicians, etc., but in the end, it was just me randomly clicking on every sample I could find. These tracks have been burned into my brain for 18 years, so all it took were a couple of notes whenever I stumbled upon a match.

Are you referring to the track that our pal [topic=3228]David Oneal[/topic] was hocking once upon a time? I have no clue what it is or where he got it from. I've been visiting the Polynesian Resort since the '70s, and I'll be darned if I even know where this "lanai" is. The 1995 loop played at all locations throughout the resort except for 'Ohana and Bou-Tiki. The same goes for the 2010 loop (online soon!).

9. Scott Lawrence

Ah. Good to know. I just was collecting tracks and the "Lanai Music" track came along with them.

Any word about the loop that was before 1995? I remember reading somewhere (here?) that it was mainly four albums by Benjamin Rogers, but it was ambiguous as to which four albums it was...

Thanks again for all of this. You're awesome! :D

10. Paul

Paul Active Member

Are any of these tracks carried over to the new music loop?

11. hmansion

hmansion New Member

Thank you so much for getting us the ID on Track 10, BleuLlama! Thank you for updating us on the great news, Jay! Just ordered Henry Allen's Magic of Steel Guitar off of Amazon. Can't wait to finally have the source after all of these years and to have the opportunity to discover another fantastic artist!

-Steve

12. Magic Music

No, not a one.

13. wedroy1923

wedroy1923 Moderator Premium Member Playlist Author

Great job, Jay! Your hard work is tremendously appreciated.

14. Club 33

Club 33 Playlist Author

Always nice to see another loop be completed! Too bad the process of IDing the loop outlasted the loop itself by a few years.

15. Magic Music

Sad but true. I think the 1995 loop will remain the definitive loop for an awful lot of us, though. The 2010 loop, while lasting six times longer, just doesn't have the same vibe. It's filled with way too much falsetto for my liking, too.

16. Scott Lawrence

Agreed. I gotta admit, I was at WDW at Fort Wilderness in 78 when i was 5 years old, we went to the poly for a luau or something, then we stayed at the poly in 1986. I was in Orlando for work last year and spent an evening in the Poly (dinner at Kona, just hanging out, getting a dole whip, etc), and even though I wasn't really around in the 95-10 timeframe, it still feels like the iconic soundtrack of the resort.

Any ETA on the beginnings of the 2010+ loop on the site?

17. Magic Music

It's already online, but currently hidden, as I'm still finishing up the links. I'll see if I can get it done before the week is out. There are 82 tracks in all, and I'm down to just 18 unknowns, which is pretty darned amazing, as I had to ID most of them the hard away again.

Scott Lawrence likes this.
  18. Scott Lawrence

Any update on that? I'm on the edge of my seat here, saving up my pennies to buy the tracks for it... ;)

19. Scott Lawrence

I finally got the "Drum Beats Of The Pacific" CD containing the "Chants et Danses..." tracks, and they are credited to "Iaora Tahiti, Tumata and Manureva Folkloric Groups" rather than "Various artists" in your playlist. Not sure if you want to update it or what.

20. Magic Music

Woohoo! I managed to stumble upon 15 of 18 unknowns today! The magic number is now three!

Now that I've finally got the problem with iTunes links licked, look for Polynesian Resort 2010 to become visible in the next couple of days! :)