The Wonderful World of David Oneal

grntdavis

gotta ask.. you show up and all your first posts are detailed specifics about dave's life.. who is this? =P

A concerned friend of someone in his life

I too was in your position and advised my friend to get as far away from him as possible, as quickly as possible. Once I started learning about his covering up being married and why he got divorced and his unwillingness to discuss it, the red flags went off and I could not get her away from him fast enough. Please be careful.

tyler

As for me... I've been a member of MagicMusic since it was established in the late '90s. I've just never been motivated to post until now. What can I say ... this story intrigues me! But no, I have absolutely no connection to the guy. Everything I've posted has come from Google sleuthing.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
I've noticed here and on other forums the question being asked "why is he still doing it" (ie saying he's still selling the stuff etc).
I think we must realize that, if he didn't, it would be tantamount to an admission of guilt.
He has to take the stance of "prove it and I'll stop".
As obvious as it seems to us, he HAS to keep going and saying "not doing anything illegal here" otherwise his case is lost before it even gets to court.
Bit like a person shooting someone in front of 100 witnesses and CCTV and live on air getting to court and pleading not guilty to the crime (maybe hoping there's a legal loophole somewhere) :rolleyes:

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
he HAS to keep going and saying "not doing anything illegal here" otherwise his case is lost before it even gets to court.

Putting aside the fact that pleading ignorance doesn't work in court (ignorantia juris non excusat), I would consider Dave Oneal's "[post=32108]Spring Celebration[/post]" event, and its immediate disappearance upon the secret link being [post=32112]exposed on our website[/post], a pretty good admission of guilt.

For all I know, the attorneys at J Andrew Coombs are monitoring this thread.

It looks like they have been busy of late, as Disney Enterprises, along with Warner Bros., just filed another copyright infringement case on May 7 against a Michael Zemkosky.

After the David Oneal lawsuit, others were filed against William Bray (dba Walt Disney DVDs) on March 26, Dieter Knittel (dba Video Media Online) on March 30, and Roger Roye (dba Double R Distributing) on March 31.

I have no specifics about the other cases at this point.

I've noticed here and on other forums the question being asked "why is he still doing it" (ie saying he's still selling the stuff etc).
I think we must realize that, if he didn't, it would be tantamount to an admission of guilt.
He has to take the stance of "prove it and I'll stop".

From my brief interactions with Dave, and because of what I have read here (references to the domestic violence, lying, other legal troubles), I'd say there's a good chance that Dave is a pathological narcissist; and his boldness, in part, stems from that.

Symptoms of Pathological Narcissism include:

1. Shamelessness - Shame is the feeling that lurks beneath all unhealthy narcissism, and the inability to process shame in healthy ways.

2. Magical thinking - Narcissists see themselves as perfect using distortion and illusion known as magical thinking. They also use projection to dump shame onto others.

3. Arrogance - A narcissist who is feeling deflated may reinflate by diminishing, debasing, or degrading somebody else.

4. Envy - A narcissist may secure a sense of superiority in the face of another person's ability by using contempt to minimize the other person.

5. Entitlement - Narcissists hold unreasonable expectations of particularly favorable treatment and automatic compliance because they consider themselves special. Any failure to comply will be considered an attack on their superiority and the perpetrator is considered to be an "awkward" or "difficult" person. Defiance of their will is a narcissistic injury that can trigger narcissistic rage.

6. Exploitation - can take many forms but always involves the exploitation of others without regard for their feelings or interests. Often the other is in a subservient position where resistance would be difficult or even impossible. Sometimes the subservience is not so much real as assumed.

7. Bad Boundaries - narcissists do not recognize that they have boundaries and that others are separate and are not extensions of themselves. Others either exist to meet their needs or may as well not exist at all. Those who provide narcissistic supply to the narcissist will be treated as if they are part of the narcissist and be expected to live up to those expectations. In the mind of a narcissist, there is no boundary between self and other.

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
Hmm...for some reason Squalls Ahead's post is reminding me of...

simpson-740692.jpg

:rolleyes:

Hahaha!!! SeaCastle, your comparison is both humorous and chilling! I was friends with a pathological narcissist for years and paid dearly for hanging around with this person for such a long time. They are masters of manipulation, control, coercion and deceit... and are very, very dangerous. The friendship was quite an education. I can now spot a pathological narcissist a mile away.

grntdavis

he HAS to keep going and saying "not doing anything illegal here" otherwise his case is lost before it even gets to court.

Putting aside the fact that pleading ignorance doesn't work in court (ignorantia juris non excusat), I would consider Dave Oneal's "[post=32108]Spring Celebration[/post]" event, and its immediate disappearance upon the secret link being [post=32112]exposed on our website[/post], a pretty good admission of guilt.

For all I know, the attorneys at J Andrew Coombs are monitoring this thread.

It looks like they have been busy of late, as Disney Enterprises, along with Warner Bros., just filed another copyright infringement case on May 7 against a Michael Zemkosky.

After the David Oneal lawsuit, others were filed against William Bray (dba Walt Disney DVDs) on March 26, Dieter Knittel (dba Video Media Online) on March 30, and Roger Roye (dba Double R Distributing) on March 31.

I have no specifics about the other cases at this point.

So is there any indication when he will actually be going to court or where he is at now? It does appear as though the only Facebook site left is the one to his Pod Cast.

grntdavis

I find it interesting that in addition to the EAC Facebook sites going away, he used to be a member of several Meetup.com clubs in our area, Bowling, Biking, Karaoke, Singles (God help those women), and Mac clubs. He has 'disappeared' from all of them. Will he be resurfacing once again with yet another new name in the future????

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
With visiting friends, my surgery, and a flurry of behind-the-scenes work on enhancing this website, I haven't had the time to process the latest court documents until today. My sincere apologies for that, folks.

David Oneal's answer, 11 pages of denial and ignorantia, filed on 05/24/2010:

Disney Enterprises, Inc. et al v. David Oneal et al

Answer to Complaint (Discovery)

Answer_01.gif

Answer_02.gif

Answer_03.gif

Answer_04.gif

Answer_05.gif

Answer_06.gif

Answer_07.gif

Answer_08.gif

Answer_09.gif

Answer_10.gif

Answer_11.gif

Note: Websites wishing to point to this document should use THIS for their link. :)

DisneyRumor

David Oneal's answer, 11 pages of denial and ignorantia, filed on 05/24/2010:

Answer to Complaint (Discovery)

By the way on his podcast a few weeks ago he claimed that the lawsuit was dropped and that he is in the clear.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
So is there any indication when he will actually be going to court or where he is at now?

By the way on his podcast a few weeks ago he claimed that the lawsuit was dropped and that he is in the clear.

"Sit down and hold tight. Also, hold on to your hats and glasses now, 'cause this here..."

Judge George H. King's order setting a scheduling conference for Monday, July 26, 2010 at 1:30 PM:

Order

Order_01.gif

Order_02.gif

Order_03.gif

Gurgitoy2

Of course he denied any wrongdoing...why am I not surprised by that? I just hope that the evidence shows the court otherwise, especially his antics since being served with papers. I mean, he's been blatant about it.

I haven't bought anything from EAC for more than a year or two because I was getting a bit tired with the not overly stellar quality of presentation with some of their projects. I'd been ignoring their e-mails for some time and hadn't given them any thought until this evening and this marks the first time I have heard about the lawsuit and the trouble O'Neal is in.

I am not surprised completely by this, because I knew that selling old Disney TV specials crossed a line that one could not claim for personal camcorder videos of defunct attractions. But even there, he was often passing off ones that had originated with other sources and making a buck off them like the only camcorder version of "If You Had Wings" that I believe exists. And frequently, I noticed how a lot of the narration often would crib verbatim the write-ups about extinct attractions that one can find at sites like "Widen Your World" and "Walt Dated World."

That said, I admit I bought a lot of his stuff as a cost-effective way of enhancing my collection of extinct attraction material, some of it good, some of it not so good, but at least I'm glad he wasn't the only game in town and that often I could find equally good or better versions of the same on the web for nothing, or in trades I was able to make with the people who actually shot the material.

This kind of copyright infringement sort of thing I have also seen come up with people who sell telecasts of old sporting events for money (if you ever wanted to get a copy of say, Super Bowl III from 1969 it's not difficult to find). They will at some point find the NFL knocking on their door for copyright infringement, which is why sports broadcast collectors as a general rule try to keep things confined to the trade realm where no money changes hands for the contents of the recording. The same thing should really be true of Disney attraction video and audio that is not something commercially released by Disney themself.

Schroeder

I'm a Noob!
There are so many topics on David Oneal & the other alias he uses. WDW Radio Disney Forums had a few posts of unwanted credit card charges by Extinct Attractions. I was one of those people who was charged a large amount to my personal bank account, a large unauthorized charge on my credit card. I ordered a dvd from Extinct Attractions about a year ago, received it & it was a terrible bootleg. I contacted them & was given a refund. I threw away the dvds because they were just horrible. Approx a year later (April 2010) i get a huge charge on my credit card, I immediately called the bank, filed a police report & personally contacted the owner DAVID ONEAL of Extinct Attractions. He immediately called me back. I did get my money back/reversed charges but it is strange how people are now receiving unauthorized charges, do not know what is going on. I did all kinds of research & found a mess of trouble this guy is in. Disney is suing him & i even have copies of the suit, same as published on this website. I did the research & gathered all the info i could because i too was going to sue. I gave all gathered info to the police department as well. They said this would help them out very much. It does not look good for this guy in court if he is convicted of the crimes presented. I wish no harm on anyone but when someone attacks my welfare of money i take it personal. I have all the documentation, e mails & dated phone calls as evidence of what i say so no lies here on my part. Fact remains, if this is being done illegally, then it needs to stop. I am following this case to see an outcome.

A person who does stuff like that, should be prosecuted. Selling copyrighted TV shows is one thing, but stealing one's money in that fashion is a disgrace, and I don't care if a few projects of his were worthwhile in the technical sense of the term. Glad you were able to get your problem straightened out.

The only thing that concerns me is that I hope that if he is finally prosecuted, they don't dig too deeply as to where the source material came from. :) Nearly every one of my Disney Fan Tribute CDs wound up on his site for sale. (Of course, if they really wanna dig, they'll find most of this stuff came directly from WDI.)