The Wonderful World of David Oneal

Re: Why spend $25...when you can get it for $15!!?

Yeah I just noticed that. As a defender of EA, it makes me feel sort of betrayed. I'm sure it's an old copy from TV, and not ripped from the DVD(which by the way looks fantastic and has a GREAT commentary track with Tony Baxter and Leonard Maltin as well as a music only track).

I do wonder if Dave just didn't know? I mean really, why in the world would he knowingly put that out to a community that definitely would know that it was the same feature that is on the new DVD. Isn't that a great way to blow your relationship with Disney and get their lawyers on your back? He does have some other TV shows that are featured on the new set as well. He just may not know about it. It seems unlikely, but I just can't imagine that if he knew he thought this was a good idea.

Trading unreleased tracks among friends is one thing...making a living by selling something that doesn't belong to you is quite another!

Why not turn him in?
Ratting someone out like that is sticky business. It gets the ball rolling towards Disney cracking down hard on any trading. We could find a very large community under attack for trading unreleased stuff that that Disney never plans to release, but that the hardcore fans treasure. While I agree that trading any material that is available for purchase is a big no-no, I would hate to be the one who ruins the entire trading community's fun when it comes to the stuff that's NOT available.  I'd hate to see someone like Martin Smith getting nailed for making fan produced tributes that he gets no money from just because Disney's lawyers starting cracking down hard.  Many folks who work for Disney  own EA DVDs.  They hired him to shoot some material for them. They have to be aware of what he's doing. And if they care, they'd go after him. And as unlikely as it may seem, he may have permission to sell this stuff.

Maybe I'm naive.  Maybe gullible. I just am trying to believe the best in all Disney fans, especially at this time of year.

He just may not know about it.
I tried claiming ignorance in traffic court when I was a kid...it didn't work. ;)

Ignorantia juris non excusat.
While I have to admit that if Disney chooses to go after EA over this, whether they know or not won't matter in a court of law, I simple wonder if this was a mistake, or an incredible stupid intentional way to cash in.

Either way,  I won't be a rat.  Disney can handle this fine without me.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author

We could find a very large community under attack for trading unreleased stuff that that Disney never plans to release, but that the hardcore fans treasure.
Hey, I'm one of those hardcore fans! I'm also one of the nuts who goes around producing induction recordings in the parks/resorts. But you won't find me trying to sell any of it!

They have to be aware of what he's doing. And if they care, they'd go after him.
The problem for Disney Legal is the precedent they set by not going after him. How can they go after someone else, perhaps an eBay seller of this stuff, if they continue to allow David Oneal to get away with it?

It's a sticky business, alright!

Yep. This is sticky sticky sticky. I hadn't though of precedents already set. And yeah, I do believe that bootlegs of material available commercially hurts our chances of getting new legit material. I argued good and hard to keep folks from distributing that 6 disc set of Disneyland Music from the 5Oth. I believe it might not be such a bad idea to email EA and register our complaint with them.

And, boy do I LOVE those induction recordings, by the way. And I'd hate to see anything happen to stop you!

BLM07

I think the only thing they should sell are the interviews and old ride videos that were filmed by EAC. I don't like the idea of films like this and the bootleg mp3 CDs being sold.

Gurgitoy2

I do wish he kept on top of this stuff, and when Disney officialy releases something he's selling, he stops offering it. That shouldn't be that hard to do. It does seem a bit careless...

Horizons

Playlist Author

Selling the bootleg CDs really bothers me as well. I have seen several people post messages about purchasing the CDs. All newcomers to the world of park audio collecting, not knowing that all of the audio they just shelled out money for could be found for free at various places around the net.

X-S Tech

I like that he doesn't change the name of the mp3 when he lists it on his CD's. He just uses whatever shorthand filename it's been given even when it doesn't jive with others on the CD. Ie: 1.DL Monorail Round trip (87) 2. The Disneyland Monorail 3. Disneyland Monorail (2001)

Club 33

Playlist Author

Well, from the looks of the preview he got this footage from someplace else. It doesn't look as good as the restored Disney Treasures version- and it doesn't have the 5.1 soundtrack or other audio features the DT version does- so get what you pay for (and no more).

And as for the CDs, I am almost willing to let that slide. Ok, he found some stuff on the internet or in other places, now he's putting them into nice little CD sets and selling them. Well, alright...

BUT.

THIS just did not sit well with me. He is now offering- for download- for 99 cents- the Haunted Mansion Holiday ridethrough from the Official Disney CD. He even used their artwork! Wherever you choose to draw the line, this SURELY crosses it:

http://01508f4.netsolstores.com/index.asp?...&ProdID=190

ronnroxx

I too have purchased a few DVDs from EA and found them to be very enjoyable. BUT, I too was surprised when they started to sell copies of shows taped off of TV such as the Opening of Euro Disney, the Disneyland 35th Anniversary special etc. That would seem to be a big No No, selling shows taped off of TV!? I know they donate money to charity, but they are making money off of this are they not? And even if you give the cash to charity, it dosn't make it OK as far as legaly.

I agree that they should stick to selling stuff that they have recorded themselves such as reide throughs, interviews etc, and steer clear of stuff that could potentialy cause Disney to 'close them down'.

Ronn

[End of merged topic 3466 "Why spend $25...when you can get it for $15!!?" dated 19 December 2007 - 07:22 PM to 08 January 2008 - 06:17 PM —Admin]

B

Bill

Dave O'Neal's New Book

[Start of merged topic 3505 "Dave Oneal's New Book" dated 31 January 2008 - 03:11 PM to 05 February 2008 - 06:30 PM —Admin]

For those who are interested, Dave O'Neal of Extinct Attractions fame (infamy?) has written a new book about the area around Disneyland.  As some of you know, he grew up in one of the motels outside Disneyland and is very nostalgic for it.  It is, in fact, the focus of his charitable work.

That said...does it strike anyone else odd that Dave wrote a book celebrating the very thing that Walt Disney hated?

For interested parties:
http://www.anaheimvacationland.com

Gurgitoy2

Re: Dave O'Neal's New Book

Sheesh, from reading the first page in the book, it sure sounds depressing and not at all something I'd be nostalgic about. Chain smoking mom, smelly cat & litter box, run-down motel? But hey, I guess there are people out there who want to remember this stuff? Some of the motels in his pictures have very 50's and 60's architecture, so there is that...but for almost $60? The Disneyland Hotel book was enough for me, and it was cheaper.

Oh, and not to be an ass and nitpick his grammar or composition, but it was hard to read the first paragraph in his description about the book. He used the words "surrounding" and "Disneyland" too much. It made it not flow very well, and I had to say "what did I just read?" Here's a quote:

"A pictorial history of the area surrounding Disneyland Anaheim Vacationland is an all new book about the history of the area surrounding the world famous landmark, Disneyland. Since Disneyland opened in 1955, the area surrounding the park was bought up so fast, that before Walt Disney knew it, The 360 degrees around his magic kingdom, looked like a gypsy camp."

Gurgitoy2

Is anybody familiar with the artist he's hired for this book? Somebody named "Mateo", but I can't find any info...and the guy's own webiste is under construction. To me, it looks a lot like Shag knock-offs, but hey...

BLM07

Is fuxture a word? (preview page 11) How can you make a book with so many sentence and spelling errors?

Gurgitoy2

Multiple people have mentioned his charitable work. Does it mention that anywhere on his site? Does anybody know for a fact that any of the money he makes goes to charity?
Yeah, I was looking for this too, but was unable to find out where or what he actually donates.