The Wonderful World of David Oneal

B

Bill

Extinct Attractions Question

[Start of merged topic 3349 "Extinct Attractions" dated 25 July 2007 - 09:55 AM to 10 May 2008 - 04:38 PM —Admin]

Is anyone else curious how David O'Neal is able to sell copyrighted Disney park music so openly?  I can understand selling compilations of people's home movies...but the music tracks?  Can anyone enlighten me? 

Re: Extinct Attractions Question

I've wondered that myself. Some have theorized that since he purports to give much (if not all) of the proceeds to local Anaheim charities, that Disney turns a blind eye towards his activities.

On a side note, a friend of mine bought EA's Haunted Mansion CD set, and after listening to it, I realized these CDs are just pieces collected off the internet - sometimes in the original crappy quality. To those of us who were able to get the fan-produced sets off the newsgroups, it pales in comparison, but to the average Joe who doesn't have the wherewithall to get such great pieces, this suits their needs well.

Just my rambling 2 cents... :)

X-S Tech

Yup I've wondered that myself. Let's not forget, he doesn't just use people's home movies for footage, but he also releases old Disney promotional films in thier entirety. I kinda figured he was just under the radar, but by the looks of his photos on his website, he's been embraced by just about every living Disney Legend out there. Granted, they may be happy to share their experiences but you'd think Disney the Corporation would have gotten wind of him by now.

X-S Tech

Some have theorized that since he purports to give much (if not all) of the proceeds to local Anaheim charities, that Disney turns a blind eye towards his activities.
How generous of him to donate profits from someone else's property to charity.

Last time I heard that he gave the profits to charity I checked out his website, and couldn't find any mention of that. Can anyone find any current claims?

lilgerm

Give him a break....With everything the disney corporation shuts down and dose not release, let's enjoy some of the gems he has produced.

X-S Tech

No difference.

I suspect there may be a bit of a gray area with Extinct Attractions because he can spin his stuff as "tribute" material, and legitimate tributes are somewhat protected under fair use. However, I don't think his stuff really qualifies. Again, why Disney hasn't shut him down, I don't know. I guess his type of Piracy doesn't affect the Company as much as say someone who releases something on the internet, but it's damaging to the Company in it's brazeness.

Gurgitoy2

Bill said:
Thank you for perhaps the worst argument I've ever heard for copyright infringement.
Yeah, it kinda reminds me of the argument a Chinese woman made for that knockoff Disneyland in Shanghai. She basically said, what's the problem, why is Disney the only one allowed to use it's characters, they should be for everybody.

Yeah, that's the way things work...

Gurgitoy2

No difference.

I suspect there may be a bit of a gray area with Extinct Attractions because he can spin his stuff as "tribute" material, and legitimate tributes are somewhat protected under fair use. However, I don't think his stuff really qualifies. Again, why Disney hasn't shut him down, I don't know. I guess his type of Piracy doesn't affect the Company as much as say someone who releases something on the internet, but it's damaging to the Company in it's brazeness.
Yeah, but since he's making money off of this "tribute" stuff, isn't that not quite so grey?

X-S Tech

No, you are allowed to make money of something if it's tribute material. Like I said, there are other variables to be considered (one of which is whether the copyrighted material is only used in part, or in it's entirety, and whether it is material that would directly compete with material the copyright owner would release themselves)- it's complicated, but now his making money does not necessarily make it illegal.

jerm

Well Dave has been working out some deals with the Mouse, from what I heard we will be seeing some of his stuff soon in Disneyana along side The "E" Ticket mag. So I would guess that some of the stuff he has done has been worked with in the Mouse House. I know he works with some of the WDI and studio people on things.

I just am thankful that people like Dave and The "E" Ticket guy are around to help save some of the memories of attraction that could be gone and forgoten forever.

J

Gurgitoy2

Well, if that's the case, then I wish Disney would just allow him access to the real recordings and such from WDI and let him do all the work. It seems a shame to have him "unoficially endorsed", and using fan home movies, and music downloaded from the net. If he was given WDI's films and master audio from attractions, that would be a way for fans to get the real thing, and endorsed by Disney. Instead he's still on the fringe picking up the scraps and selling them, and Disney just smiles and nods.

You know, with the exception of the audio recordings, most of what Dave sells are really INTERVIEWS with bit of Disney owned footage sprinkled in. And from what I know of copyright law, you can use a certain amount of footage you don't have the rights to. Now how he seems to be allowed to sell actual Disney produced shows is a mystery. The only thing I can figure is Disney has no interest in selling these, and any sort of lawsuit would cost moe than it's worth. Frankly, I buy Dave's stuff for the interviews and for the old footage from home movies. I think Disney would do well to have several guys like Dave who are willing to do all the work to put these tributes out there. Hey, it's certainly free good publicity.

marni1971

...I think Disney would do well to have several guys like Dave who are willing to do all the work to put these tributes out there. Hey, it's certainly free good publicity.
I do. Mine however are for free.... :angry:

Yeah, Martin, your stuff is awesome. I love every single thing you've done. Especially the TRANSPORTATION one. Seriously. Don't know why, but that one just does it for me. But what you do is very different from Extinct Attractions. But, the fact that yours are FREE just makes them that much better. You could easily be charging for yours like many others do, and for the life of me I'm not sure why you don't. You are definitely one of the true believers out there. And yeah, Bill, I'm with you on the whole, "HEY! use a better source for that ride through that isn't totally dark!" But I don't buy anything from EA for their ridethroughs. I like the interviews and old footage. And since I'm not putting in the work to make them exactly the way I want, I'll just shut up and enjoy them now.

He also does tributes to other park lost rides such as Knotts Beary Tales and Haunted Shack and KOD. Methinks the park does not care once the ride is dead and torn out.

X-S Tech

Methinks no park woud care what he does as long as he's not selling copyrighted material that he doesn't own.

OT: A positive story concerning EXTINCT ATTRACTIONS club shipping

[Start of merged topic 3385 "A Positive Story Concerning Extinct Attractions Club Shipping" dated 30 August 2007 - 09:04 AM to 06 September 2007 - 02:09 PM —Admin]

Okay, the Extinct Attractions club has it's detractors. From those who don't see how they can sell copyrighted material contained in their DVD's to those who've had a bad experience with their shipping.  For whatever reason Disney doesn't seem to mind that they're using certain copyrighted material; and they seem to even support them with some terrific access to people like Marty Sklar.  Now I don't want to try and change anyone's mind about whether it's right or not for them to use any of he copyrighted material. We all have our minds made up about that, and if it bothers us, we wouldn't order from them.  Now, the story I am relating has to do with SHIPPING.  I have previously ordered from Extinct Attractions and had to wait much longer than the web site stated for my DVDs. I've read about even worse shipping problems here and elsewhere. I've read about poor and even rude communication when trying to get a shipping problem resolved. The kind of stuff that definitely gives one pause before ordering. A couple months ago I ordered smoe DVDs.  5 weeks went by. Nothing.  Their site had said that they had gotten an outside party to handle their shipping and that orders should be processed and sent out same day. Sounds great, but where's my stuff?  So I check the site, which has been revamped to now make it easy to check your order status and send emails.  I find that my order's status is something like "ORDER BEING PUT TOGETHER" Not sure, but I figure it means it's about to be shipped. So, I wait another week.  Nothing.  I recheck the status. Order Complete. I see that a tracking number is present.  Great.  I check it with UPS.  "BILLING INFORMATION RECIEVED" HUH? Apparently that means EA sent them the info for the order, but not the actual package yet. So I email EA through the site. I get an immediate response, saying that this shouldn't be happening and that they will resend the info.  I wait a couple days and recheck UPS.  Same news.  I figure, well the NEW shipping must not have affected my order in a positive way, but at least their communication is good.  So I send another email.  This time I get a call from Dave O'neal. He is flustered about the order.  He is polite and apologetic.  He says that the new shipping has been working so well, he's been getting great emails about how fast stuff is working.  He promises to take care of it right away.  So, I wait a few days, expecting the order to show up.  It doesn't.  I recheck UPS, same message, send another email to EA.  They send me another email saying they don't understand why this order is continuing to glitch and say they've resent it. They give me a new tracking number, which I ignore...  I wait a couple days rechecking UPS using the tracking number from EA website ad keep getting the same message.  I am getting angry, because I've defending these guys on several boards. I send an angry email out to EA.  I reread my previous emails from EA and realize that the tracking number I've been using is the WRONG ONE. Now I'm the dope.  So I track my order with the corrct new one they sent me.  Surprise, the DVD is set to arrive THAT DAY.  So, now I feel the need to apologize for my nasty email, but must point out that their ORDER STATUS never got updated, hence my freaking out.  I send the email to EA, expecting no response, since it was just an apology on my part as well as pointing out a small but significant glitch on the website. I get another email apologizing, and thanking me for my finding the glitch along with a generous offer that more than made up for my original order being late. So right now I couldn't be happier.  The point of this long-winded message is that for those who've not wanted to risk getting some of the EA DVD's for fear of shipping nightmares, I want to say those days are over. I received prompt, polite responses to my emails, and the situation was resolved.  My order was probably caught in the middle of their transition to the new shipping. And now that the website does have that STATUS page you really can find out what's going on right away, which is a big improvement.  My biggest problem was that I didn't read the correct tracking number, and I waited far to long before I started checking.  And honestly, talking to Dave O'Neal, I got the sense that this kind of stuff truly bothered him and that he wanted to fix it.  He seemed to me to be very genuine and sincere. So there you go.  A positve shipping story.

gatordoc

Re: OT: A positive story concerning EXTINCT ATTRACTIONS club shipping

I've had problems with the EAC in the past, but I agree that Dave has always been responsible and truly interested in improving things. I just wish they'd get that Mr. Toad DVD finished...