WDW Official Album 2 Disc set

Sorry to start another thread. I was going to post to the thread "RANDY - News on the WDW CD" but I figured if I posted a new thread with me as the author it would appear more 'official' and not get lost in all the messages lately. Anywho...

As I mentioned in a previous post?

With the box set taking nearly 5 months just in studio time alone, coupled with the fact that Walt Disney World moved up it?s request for the official album, I could not do all that I wanted for the WDW CDs. So I decided to make the WDW album a little retro as well ? with both discs coming in at over 77 minutes each. I know that many of you already have some of this material, but the casual Disneyworlder doesn?t -? and it makes for some great nostalgic listening to hear the themes from Horizons followed by Mission Space?s ?Destiny?.

I also would not have an opportunity to re-issue some of these great old tracks were it not for an event such as this. As it turns out, this album is the most comprehensive collection of music from Walt Disney World we have ever released.

Here?s the playlist for "The Official album of the Walt Disney World Resort: The Happiest Celebration On Earth"

DISC ONE (1:17:41)
THE MAGIC KINGDOM
1. Remember When (LeAnn Rimes)
Main Street U.S.A.
2. All Aboard! ? Main Street Station
3. Welcome Medley ? Main Street
Adventureland
4. The Tiki Tiki Tiki Room ? The Enchanted Tiki Room
5. Swisskapolka ? Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
6. Yo Ho! (A Pirate?s Life For Me) ? Pirates of the Caribbean
7. Friend Like Me ? The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management
Frontieland
8. Bear Band Serenade ? Country Bear Jamboree
9. Splash Mountain Medley ? Splash Mountain
Liberty Square
10. Grim Grinning Ghosts ? The Haunted Mansion
Fantasyland
11. It?s a Small World ? it?s a small world
12. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh ? The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Mickey?s Toontown Fair
13. Solo Pilot Blues ? Mickey?s Toontown Fair
Tomorrowland
14. The Best Time of Your Life ? The Carousel of Progress
15. Planetary Boogie ? Cosmic Ray?s Starlight Caf?
16. There?s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow ? The Carousel of Progress

EPCOT
Future World
17. EPCOT Entrance Medley
18. Tomorrow?s Child ? Spaceship Earth
19. Energy (You Make the World Go ?Round) ? Universe of Energy
20. Universe of Energy ? Universe of Energy
21. Test Track Medley ? Test Track
22. It?s Fun to Be Free ? World of Motion
23. Listen to the Land ? The Land

DISC TWO (1:16:37)
EPCOT Continued
1. Kitchen Cabaret ? The Land
2. Soarin? ? Soarin?
3. One Little Spark ? Journey Into Imagination
4. Magic Journeys ? Magic Eye Theater
5. Makin? Memories ? Journey Into Imagination
6. Destiny ? Mission Space
7. Space ? Horizons
8. New Horizons ? Horizons
World Showcase
9. Canada (You?re a Lifetime Journey) ? Canadian Pavilion
10. Impressions de France ? Impressions de France
11. Golden Dream ? The American Adventure
Disney / MGM Studio
12. Hooray For Hollywood ? Hollywood Blvd.
13. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror ? The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
14. Star Tours ? Star Tours
15. Playhouse Disney Theme ? Playhouse Disney Live On Stage
16. Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular ? Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular
Disney?s Animal Kingdom
17. Tree of Life Theme ? The Tree of Life
18. Beauty and the Bees ? It?s Tough to Be a Bug
19. It?s Tough to Be a Bug ? It?s Tough to Be a Bug
20. Diggin? In Dinoland ? Dinoland
The Magic Kingdom
21. Cinderella Surprise ? Cinderella?s Castle

Plans are already in the works for WDW?s next album (which will continue to be a 2 disc set from now on). In the meantime, I hope you will enjoy the nostalgic trip of ?The Official Album of the Walt Disney World Resort: The Happiest Celebration On Earth?.

If you see a track title and wonder if it's a 'new version' (Like One Little Spark), rest assured that it isn't. This is "Remember When" time. We'll get to that later ? For keep in mind... "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".

Randy Thornton

WishesFan

Randy,

This looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get my copy! Thanks for all your great work.

Have a great day,
-Rick

micca

OMG you put The Best Time of Our Lives on this. I am humbled by your presence. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

Randy,

On review of you list, I notice that it appears that only a select few tracks are new to the Walt Disney World OA for the 50th. I cannot help but wonder about your choices for this album. It appears that many of your selections for Epcot have been previously already been released on older OA's or no longer availble. I can understand that you were going for a retrospective aspect of Walt Disney World with this two Disc, but were you so limited to resources or time that you couldn't dig up some new work for Horizons, Universe of Energy, or Spaceship Earth? I truly appricate all your work that you do with WDR, and you do partake in listening to us fans [which is awsome], but I cannot only keep thinking we are somewhat still left with our ears burning for more. So, I guess my question to you would be, on your next two Disc for Walt Disney World, will you be more or less incline to include retrospectives for past attractions, instead of always focusing on the new?

Eric

What new work for Horizons is there? There were only two theme songs for that attraction, and a bunch of non-descript retro-futuristic sounding instrumentals for the soundtrack.

Likewise with Spaceship Earth and Universe of Energy..the only musical additions that have been omitted are the instrumental themes from their current versions (which I believe Randy probably couldn't even use due to an issue of getting rights..especially since Universe of Energy's/Ellen's Energy Theme was done by Bruce Broughton.)

I think it's obvious Randy put in as much as he could with the time that he had and with the availability of the material that was out there! I, for one, and impressed and happy to see such a complete album being released! ;D

Randy,

On review of you list, I notice that it appears that only a select few tracks are new to the Walt Disney World OA for the 50th. I cannot help but wonder about your choices for this album. It appears that many of your selections for Epcot have been previously already been released on older OA's or no longer availble. I can understand that you were going for a retrospective aspect of Walt Disney World with this two Disc, but were you so limited to resources or time that you couldn't dig up some new work for Horizons, Universe of Energy, or Spaceship Earth? I truly appricate all your work that you do with WDR, and you do partake in listening to us fans [which is awsome], but I cannot only keep thinking we are somewhat still left with our ears burning for more. So, I guess my question to you would be, on your next two Disc for Walt Disney World, will you be more or less incline to include retrospectives for past attractions, instead of always focusing on the new?

Eric, that may be true but none the less, an OA doesn't have to always include just lyrical tracks... ;) I for one would love to see a condensed ride through version of Horizons, similar to how Randy has produced one for The Haunted Mansion on several OA's. In no way am I saying Randy didn't put his sweet and dare I say blood into these past sets, I'm only bring back up the fact so much is still missing. I can understand the legal issues, redtape, and Disney Corporate Mumbo Jumbo, but not everything is that way. I am just interested to hear what Randy say's about the topic and my question. :)

Eric

I agree..I too enjoy instrumentals and ride throughs (which is why I spent $100's when most of it was available on the WDW/DL Forever systems). However, I think my involvement in the music industry has made me look at things from a commercial (will it sell well?) perspective rather than what the die-hard fans will want. Granted, the area of the industry I work in is a vastly different market from Disney park music (I deal with current "popular" music mainly), however, I think the average CD consumers are almost all the same throughout the different genres, and most are looking for something generic that will keep their attention. With pop CD's (for example), there's always the question on track listings if we should include bonus remixes or lower quality unreleased tracks. While the die-hard fans love that, a lot of consumers would find that overkill and tend to think less of the overall product. Sometimes less is more, and I can count numerous times where the US labels that I've worked at have had to cut down track listings of European releases by almost 50% due to the excessive amount of poor quality tracks that were crammed on one or even two CD's .

The quality of Randy's work is that he can make a quality product that appeals to both the generic park goer but also the park completist, in such a way, that neither is left out. I think the omissions you mentioned would've probably led the CD astray to lean it too much towards the park enthusiast to the point where it would alienate other consumers (who don't remember and could care less about some retro-futuristic 80's sounding instrumentals). It's my guess that Randy omitted it for that reason, and the ride-throughs of Horizons/UofE/and Spaceship Earth simply because they wouldn't have fit on only 2 Cd's (but that's only a guess, I'll let Randy answer this one; I just thought I'd throw in my two cents on how I viewed it).

Eric, that may be true but none the less, an OA doesn't have to always include just lyrical tracks... ;) I for one would love to see a condensed ride through version of Horizons, similar to how Randy has produced one for The Haunted Mansion on several OA's. In no way am I saying Randy didn't put his sweet and dare I say blood into these past sets, I'm only bring back up the fact so much is still missing. I can understand the legal issues, redtape, and Disney Corporate Mumbo Jumbo, but not everything is that way. I am just interested to hear what Randy say's about the topic and my question. :)

Dirk

Great tracklisting - I for one love the mixture of current material and older, no longer available material.

I think even so we as fans certainly always look for the hidden gold nugget among the material on the CD ("wow! 30 seconds of new instrumental background music!") we should not forget that these CDs mainly carter to the normal guest of WDW who wants to take home with him a souvenir reflecting the most memorable music or at least music that immediately reminds him of the visit. Adding the historic material already is a stretch as a lot of the younger guests will not have any connection to it. So: THANKS A LOT!

... the only thing left (till the next WDW OA is coming up) now is waiting for the release ... any idea when we can order it?

Yours
Dirk

Gurgitoy2

>>Randy,

jmuboy

Great work on the WDW album! I can't wait to hear a cleaned up version of UNIVERSE of ENERGY and SSE's Tomorrow's Child. Makes me long for the older EPCOT! I'd love to see these songs return to their respective attractions.

Well, I think Randy pretty much told us the reason why he chose the tracks he did for the new WDW OA. WDW pushed up the release date, and due to the other WDR projects, he couldn't focus as much time on it as he would have liked. So, that's why there are "old" tracks that we already have on the discs. I do notice that he managed to get a couple of new ones on there, but I'm perfectly happy with what is there, considering he'll be working on the next WDW OA, and I'd be willing to bet more time will be focused on it and we'll get new tracks.

Hence my question from the end of my post...

"So, I guess my question to you would be, on your next two Disc for Walt Disney World, will you be more or less incline to include retrospectives for past attractions, instead of always focusing on the new?"

X-S Tech

Randy has all but said that the next WDW 2 Disc set will include some very good surprises. Let's all enjoy the look back this year and bide our time. I think we've got enough audio coming in that we won't notice the time go by.

JEANYLASER

8) Randy thanks your info about the new wdw official album 2 disc set. Oh what is the cost to buy the wdw official album in the magic kingdom. because i would like to buy and enjoy.

zaplarry

Ever since I first went to Epcot, days after it opened, I've wanted the music from Impressions of France.
Is the whole score of the movie on this disc? ;D

zaplarry, I believe only 9 minutes (about a half) are featured. This is in order to make sure other attractions get their time, too. :D

For those of you concerned about the lack-of-new-songs... think about it this way: Under what other circumstances do you think Disney would allow these favorites to be released again?

Sure, I listen to "New Horizons" about every week. Same goes for the other songs released on the 1992 OA. But I am even more excited about this release as Disney is actually making this available to the general public once again.

As for more audio from specific attractions (i.e. alternate versions of One Little Spark, Fun to Be Free, KK, etc), who DOESN'T want that? But based on everything else Mr. Thornton has done for us, well, think about it -- how many hours are there in a day? ;)

That being said, thank you Mr. Thornton for your care for these original classics.

And perhaps one day in the future (*cough* Epcot's 25th Anniversary *cough* ), we'll be able to hear more from our beloved lost experiences...

I agree with GrizzlyHall. Though many of of us have every official CD ever released there are many people who do not. It will be great to hear some of the tracks from the classic older CDs like The Official Album Of Disneyland And Walt Disney World (1991) on a new CD.

billmagicalears

zaplarry, I believe only 9 minutes (about a half) are featured. This is in order to make sure other attractions get their time, too. :D

For those of you concerned about the lack-of-new-songs... think about it this way: Under what other circumstances do you think Disney would allow these favorites to be released again?

Sure, I listen to "New Horizons" about every week. Same goes for the other songs released on the 1992 OA. But I am even more excited about this release as Disney is actually making this available to the general public once again.

As for more audio from specific attractions (i.e. alternate versions of One Little Spark, Fun to Be Free, KK, etc), who DOESN'T want that? But based on everything else Mr. Thornton has done for us, well, think about it -- how many hours are there in a day? ;)

That being said, thank you Mr. Thornton for your care for these original classics.

And perhaps one day in the future (*cough* Epcot's 25th Anniversary *cough* ), we'll be able to hear more from our beloved lost experiences...
Make sure Randy gets in the "Living with the Land" theme...

The music that was played while you were waiting in line to board the Living with the Land Boat Ride, pre-Soarin'. ;D