The World's Fair Set and More

Horizons

Playlist Author
Has anyone else noticed this?
Yes, I noticed it as well. The box set is an excellent piece of history and we should be grateful for Randy's effort in getting this to us. Now that I gave Randy some well deserved praise, I can offer my one critical comment.

If you compare the Progressland reconstruction to the live recording that's in circulation, you'll notice the dialog is not accurate in the reconstruction in several places. In addition, it does not appear that any of the transition music, playing as the theater rotates to the next scene, is accurate to what's heard in the live recording. It's possible there were changes to the show after the live recording was made, or perhaps some of the actual music/dialog was not available to Randy. However, based on the live recording, the reconstruction is not accurate. :blush:

Having said that, this set is a must have for any collector of Disney theme park audio. There are things in the official release that were not included in the bootleg version that is in general circulation. I know a lot of the recording session tracks are not in wide circulation and a few were included in Randy's set, including one of my favorites, Music to Buy Toasters By (Medallion City). Plus, the sound quality is vastly superior to the bootleg set. Thus, there is absolutely no reason not to purchase this.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
During track 5 of the Carousel of Progress, there's a really high pitched whine in a couple of places. I think in Act II when fathers talking to mother about "getting the wrinkles out" of his shirts, whenever he talks, the whine comes in, almost like the whine was on his track only. It fades out when mother talks. It's super super high. It also happens in a few more places, including whenever the dog makes a noise in the final act. Has anyone else noticed this?
I spoke to Randy about this subject at the beginning of the month. The high-pitched tones are the 'mouth tones,' the frequencies used to trigger the mouth movements on the Audio-Animatronics figures. Specific tones trigger various movements of the figures.

Randy said that with the Disneyland 50th box set, he tried EQ notches and other filters, but due to the tapes having stretched with age, the frequencies were no longer constant, and it was not possible to remove the tones without crushing the vocals.

For the World's Fair box set, Randy found the original recording sessions (still MIA during the Disneyland set), which were free of the trigger tones (they didn't get added until they were programming the figures), and he also had multiple takes to choose from.

That's all I can remember. I'll let Randy step in and provide more details.

X-S Tech

Well I don't find it that strange that it appears here and not on the DLF tracks, as I'm sure this track was rebuilt for this collection. Or if not fully rebuilt from scratch, at least altered. Not the biggest deal in the world but kinda annoying. Like leaving a line or two of dialogue out of a newly remastered movie or something.

almandot

Well I don't find it that strange that it appears here and not on the DLF tracks, as I'm sure this track was rebuilt for this collection. Or if not fully rebuilt from scratch, at least altered. Not the biggest deal in the world but kinda annoying. Like leaving a line or two of dialogue out of a newly remastered movie or something.
I don't simply mean that it appears here and not there.. I mean that it's exactly opposite where it appears. I find it interesting at least :blush:

Gurgitoy2

During track 5 of the Carousel of Progress, there's a really high pitched whine in a couple of places. I think in Act II when fathers talking to mother about "getting the wrinkles out" of his shirts, whenever he talks, the whine comes in, almost like the whine was on his track only. It fades out when mother talks. It's super super high. It also happens in a few more places, including whenever the dog makes a noise in the final act. Has anyone else noticed this?
Yeah it's on everybody's.. It's weird because on the DL forever tracks when he talks it's fine and when other people talk it whines :blush:
I don't simply mean that it appears here and not there.. I mean that it's exactly opposite where it appears. I find it interesting at least :(
Hmm...yes, I remember this from the DL 50th set too. It's too bad Randy was unable to get rid of it, but Jay's response about it makes sense. That could also explain why it's in a different spot on the DLF tracks. Maybe the way the tracks were mastered (or not, in DLF's case) made the difference in where we hear the high-pitched tone?

I am a little disappointed to hear that the reconstruction of Progressland is not completely accurate, but there must be a reason for that as well. The one thing that stuck out in my mind as a difference was in Mother's dialoge...she mentioned the Gold Medallion Home in the NYWF version, but not at Disneyland. Did that change make it into the reconstruction?

Nitpicking details aside, I'm very happy to even have this set, and I cannot wait to get it in my hands. Turns out it shipped yesterday and should be at my house by tomorrow. Oh, and the "Music to Buy Toasters By" was included in the bootleg version. In fact, the tracklisting seems to be pretty much identical, even down to the track titles. Still, I can't wait to dump the old stuff for the much better lossless version!!

Horizons

Playlist Author
Oh, and the "Music to Buy Toasters By" was included in the bootleg version.
I should have been more specific. The version that I was speaking about was the one running close to 10 minutes, and tracks the recording session version.

Hey Y'all!

Don't know what to say about the discrepancies with some of the dialog on "Carousel of Progress". We did extensive research and located what everyone believed was the original script. We followed that to the letter. The live recording of the original exhibit we used as a reference also matched the script we had. So, with those elements as a reference, I built the track as it appears on the set.

The music cues are indeed what played at the fair without question. The differences you may be hearing is how I presented them on the album as opposed to how they were used on the attraction. My explanation might be more complicated than the actuality, but I'll give it a shot.

When you leave the opening version of "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow", the first theater is playing the more contemporary version, while the upcoming scene is playing the 1900s variation (in sync with the first theater's cue). As the theater rotates and you move to the next scene, these two cues essentially crossfade and you make the transition - the physical movement away for point A to point B. To do this on the album (without the benefit of the attraction itself) this crossfade sounds conflicting and doesn't really work as an audio only experience. I chose to let the opening version play through to the first scene . This meant though, that I had to eliminate the 1900s version altogether. From this point on, the version of the turn cue would be the next scene's cue — at the end of the 1900s scene, you heard the cue for the 1920s as you rotated to the 1920s scene. This way, you heard the entire cue without the awkward transition. If I did the transition as it appeared in the attraction, you would hear the first half of the opening version, then the last half of the 19o0s version. Then you would have heard the first half of the 1900s and the last half of the 1940s and so on. I felt it was a better representation of the song to play it through. I felt better about loosing the 1900s version this time around (as compared to the Disneyland set) because the music bed at least, is included on the disc as a separate track.

The Mouth Tone was the plague I had to deal with on the Disneyland Set. Jay recalled my conversation with him correctly. We tried to get it out on Disneyland, but because of the stretched tape (causing the fluctuating frequencies) we had to widen the EQ to get it all. The more we did that, the worse what we were trying to preserve sounded. So we struck a compromise — get as much out as possible with affecting what we want to save as little as possible. For the World's Fair, we found the original recording sessions and I was able to replace all of the worst offenders. The dog is problematic as it is a sound effect (not recorded dialog) and the only versions where from the attraction soundtrack.

Thanks for your comments! I hope this explains some of your questions.

Randy

PS — did you notice the additional music in the 1920s scene? When the appliances go off, the music bed that was used was edited in the original attraction. I had the original session, so I included the entire cue as it was recorded.

X-S Tech

Very interesting Randy. Thanks as always!

Now how's the WDW 40th Anniversary Boxed set coming? 2011 is right around the corner...

Gurgitoy2

Randy, thanks for explaining your process in creating these tracks. I knew you had a reason for these things. The crossfade issue makes sense, and I can understand how it would have sounded awkward to have the two transition tracks fade into each other...it would have been authentic, I suppose, but possibly distracting as well. I really want my set to get here today, since that's the estimated arrival date...

Oh, and I hope that Cartman-style smiley face means what I think it means, LOL. I hope WDW got good and envious that DL got such a nice audio set for its 50th and want's one of its very own...An extensive set with lots of EPCOT and early MK stuff would just be amazing!! Oh, and DL's 55th is next year...hopefully they want a new OA to "celebrate" as well, LOL! Am I too greedy? :blush:

X-S Tech

I was hoping that maybe by suggesting it in that "already happening" manner, that I could inspire Randy to rush around his office in a panic, shuffling through papers and emails, not unlike a nervous Homer Simpson, before finally just jumping into compiling a WDW collection before anyone realized that he was behind. By the time he figured out that it was all a scam the set would have been nearly completed, the work done and WDR and WDW would have jumped at the opportunity. It seems I've been foiled again. Oh well, can't blame a guy for trying.

Gurgitoy2

I was hoping that maybe by suggesting it in that "already happening" manner, that I could inspire Randy to rush around his office in a panic, shuffling through papers and emails, not unlike a nervous Homer Simpson, before finally just jumping into compiling a WDW collection before anyone realized that he was behind. By the time he figured out that it was all a scam the set would have been nearly completed, the work done and WDR and WDW would have jumped at the opportunity. It seems I've been foiled again. Oh well, can't blame a guy for trying.
LOL, maybe he missed the memo, and should go back and check his inbox again. I'm sure they wanted him to start on the set a while back. The memo made it pretty clear that they wanted a 10 disc set to top Disneyland's. Also, I heard from the grapevine that Mr. Burns and a few of his senior VP's plan on stopping by Randy's office later to check on the progress, so he had better look busy!

I just got mine in the mail today. I don't think I have as good of an ear as some of the others here. I can't hear much in the way of high pitched noises. I love the set. The booklet that comes in it is nice. I have only listened to the first 2 CD's so far, but I love it. One more for my collection. Thanks Randy!

wedroy1923

Playlist Author
Randy:

Just wanting to add my "thank you" to the bunch! We all appreciate your commitment both to preserving the Disney music legacy and your willingness to answer our questions and consider our interests.

wedroy1923

Just got my set today and listening to Progressland :blush:

Stacia did a great job on the booklet. I like the dedication to Bruce Gordon...nice touch!

Well done Randy! A classic worth waiting for.

wedroy1923

Playlist Author
Randy (or whoever might have an answer):

I noticed the "Speed Ramp March" following the Skydome Spectacular show, leading into the Nuclear Fussion Demonstration, and I believe the "Speed Ramp March" was also used at the Disneyland Carousel of Progress as the unload and transition to Progress City.

What musical piece served as unload music for the 1964-1965 Carousel of Progress? The "Mirror Maze"? Or was this just used on the escalator to the top of the pavilion?

Thanks,
Michael

Hiya Michael!

You guessed correctly, the "Mirror Maze" was used as you exited The Carousel Theater.

Technically, the Speedramp and the Mirror Maze were the same conveyance systems. The Mirror Maze, as the name implies, used mirrors and lights as a cool optical effect. "The Mirror Maze" track is one of my favorites, but I can see why it may not have been used when the attraction moved to Disneyland. The march, on the other hand, has that triumphant 'march of time/progress' feel to it. Also, at Disneyland you weren't going to the same destination as at the fair, the 'march' of progress now had you on your way to see an entire experimental prototype community of tomorrow.

Randy

wedroy1923

Playlist Author
Randy:

Thanks for the info! And thanks for helping put this set together - it's terrific!

Best,
Michael

Well along with everyone else i too was anticipating this set greatly..! For those who haven't caught it yet i do believe the finale of the Carousel of Progress World's Fair version is the first time it has appeared.... it is not the same version which was the common version on the torrent set that was available for the past couple of years.... also it's the first time the 60s variation has appeared as a track by itself.. I too also heard the high pitch at at the finale. One other note is it sounds like the wife's singing is much more prominent at the end of the final act. All in all i'm very happy with the set..the remaining discs are pretty much identical to the torrent set but well worth the price just for getting a higher quality and the booklet included.

Gurgitoy2

Well, this weekend I've had some computer problems, so I haven't been able to listen to the whole set, but I did manage to listen to "Progressland" and "It's a Small World". Wonderful work, Randy! Yes, most of the material is the same as the bootleg version, but it's just so much better sounding! Also, the mixes seem better too. Plus, there is one big difference...more accurate versions. The correct finale act in COP, and also, Randy's fair-mix of IASW. That particular track is completely new, and it's great!

Also, I looked over the "old" booklet that was produced and compared it to the final version, and it's a lot more polished looking. The text is pretty much the same, but some of the pictures were switched out. However, everything about this set has improved since we thought it was never going to happen. So, a great big thanks, Randy, for managing to get this set out to everyone and I hope it does really well for WDR so that more stuff like this can be released in the future.