1. Hello, Guest! Do you have any shopping to do at Amazon? You can help support Magic Music by using our special link. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

The World's Fair Set and More

Discussion in 'Disney Parks and Resorts' started by Randy Thornton, Mar 4, 2009.

1. eabiggins

eabiggins New Member

Just another thanks to Randy for this amazing set. No criticism from me whatsoever.

2. daliseurat

daliseurat Member

I got my set a few days ago. I wanted to give the whole thing a listen before commenting. On the whole this set makes me incredibly happy. I love all the stuff Disney did for the worlds fair and this is as close as I'll get to going back in time to see it for myself. I must say the original 4 discs sound MUCH better than those bootlegs, and as some have mentioned some parts seem different. Which is exciting. What was an unexpected delight to me was that 5th disc. It's so cool to hear this alternate universe version of what could have been. It wasn't better or worse, it was just delightfully different. I love all the little songs that popped up in the time periods. And as we haven't gotten a whole lot of new audio lately, I am shocked that no one is singing it's praises! Well done Randy. This was worth the wait.

Alas, I do have a few complaints. Not with the discs. It's the packaging. :blush:

I hate the book format for storing cds unless it comes with a slipcover. This box will open up and discs could fall out and get scratched, not to mention how much dust will get in there. The package looks nice, but should have come with a slipcover.

While I like what is included in the booklet, I don't like that it is attached.

I also am surprised at the lack of performer credits. I really would like a set of credits for those performing on these tracks. Who did all that singing on "Get the Feel of the Wheel"? I heard Thurl Ravenscoft, tho he was not credited. And a cast list for Carousel and Small World would be great.

Randy, any chance we could get a proper credits list from you? Please?

Despite my complaints, this is an absolutely wonderful set, worth every penny. Bravo Randy! :(

Now how about a set of music from the DISNEYLAND show...

3. member35

member35 New Member

"I hope it does really well for WDR so that more stuff like this can be released in the future."

My thoughts exactly, Gurgitoy2.

I hope that everyone goes out to buy this set so that Randy and the folks at WDR can get paid for their hard work. Yes, it was leaked online, but I think there's no question that when the real one is released, everyone should get it to show the higher-ups that there are fans out there who want this content. Release more!!!

4. Gurgitoy2

Gurgitoy2 Active Member

Well....I don't think there's really a need for one between this set and the Disneyland 50 set. Basically Randy did the full Disneyland show on the "Musical History of Disneyland" set, and then all of the incidental music was released on the World's Fair set. Although "Speedramp March" isn't by itself, but still, it's all there. We even got the post-show "Progress City" track on the DL set, which was never availible before, so we've got pretty much everything!

Yes, I can't encourage everybody enough to get out and buy this set, even if you think you "have" the material already in bootleg form. You owe it to yourself to have it in superior quality, and a physical product, but also you would support future official releases like it!

5. Horizons

Horizons Playlist Author

Plus you get the full Music to Buy Toasters Buy (Medallion City) cue, from the recording session tracks, which is worth the cost by itself. [Can you tell I'm a fan of this particular piece of music? :lol: ]

6. daliseurat

daliseurat Member

No, no that isn't what I meant. I better clarify.

I meant a set of music from the TV SHOW DISNEYLAND. So many shows had some great music. I'm sure most of it is available somewhere, but I'd love a set of music in one place.

Horizons, I didn't realize that the TOASTERS music was a FULL version here and not on the bootleg! How cool. I love that piece as well.

7. Gurgitoy2

Gurgitoy2 Active Member

Oh, I see. That would be a lot of obscure stuff to be sure. It would be interesting though...but such a daunting project! I think I would settle for a collection of the opening theme songs from the TV series through the years, like Disneyland, Wonderful World of Color, Walt Disney Presents, Wonderful World of Disney, etc. That would be fun!

8. X-S Tech

X-S Tech Active Member

Does anyone else hear a wierd "fluttering" noise during the first couple tracks of International Gardens music? It seems to disappear after Serengetti Serenade. A friend of mine was telling me how staticky these tracks sounded at higher volumes but even at low volumes I hear this wierd fluttering- it actually reminds me of the sound a moth makes when it's flying against a pane of glass trying to get through. I thought at first that perhaps one of the musicians had been tapping his foot or something cause it kind of goes in time with the music, but it's on 3 or 4 tracks pretty consistently and seems more artificial than that.

9. Tannerman

Tannerman Member

I ordered from Amazon and really like the set. But I'm sending it back to them for replacement. It appears that the packaging/book was dropped at some point, as the top of the binding is all smashed up. Frustrating, but they've been cool about replacement.

10. ShrunkenNed

ShrunkenNed New Member

Love it love it love it.

Randy, or anyone else that's reading this, is there any place to find out more info about the Auto Parts Harmonic? I know it is touched on briefly in the book, but I also realize in that small of a booklet it only allows for so much space on each track. Is there a way to find out more about parts used, and some of the processes?

Once again, AWESOME job on this one.

11. mmmfan

mmmfan Member

12. makeminemusic

makeminemusic Member

Well, as fortune would have it, I have a bonus airline ticket, a free 3 day pass to DL (retired military), and friends who are going this Staurday to see this exhibit.....field trip says I! Also get to go with them to Club33 on Sunday! Have not been to the park in a couple years so I am pretty excited.

13. almandot

almandot Member

Ouch. Sounds like a lousy weekend. Sorry dude.

14. daliseurat

daliseurat Member

So, does anyone have a credits list of any performers from this disc? Specifically from the FORD exhibit?

15. David S.

David S. Member

MY THOUGHTS ON THE WORLD'S FAIR SET

First, I wanted to give a big CONGRATULATIONS and THANKS to Randy (and everyone else) who worked on the World's Fair set!

I bought a copy at the Virgin Megastore at WDW, (my last ever purchase there, since it's sadly closing) during my recent seasonal stay in Florida, but didn't listen to it until I got back to New Orleans for the summer, in an attempt to keep the discs clean and unscratched (I only had a portable CD player and car player there with me)

One of the nice side-effects about being old-school about the way I aquire music is, I never heard any of the bootlegs floating around, so most of the material on the set was new to me!

Here are some thoughts about the set:

SMALL WORLD

I LOVE the new Small World ride-through!

Not a knock on the late great Bruce Gordon at all, or other Imagineers who had worked on the original version of the set, but when I first heard the plans for the set did not include a traditional ride-through of IASW with vocals, and would just have a score-only mix, I was disappointed and lost a lot of enthusiasm for the project.

But by adding the thorough and comprehensive ride-through, (my fave track on the set!) Randy has filled this void, and also made the supplemental IASW material more enjoyable for what it is - an interesting look at the musical elements of the attraction that do NOT serve as a substitute for getting the attraction soundtrack itself!

The mix on the DL 50th set is still much beloved by me as well, and has many strengths - the ride time is more accurate, the Polynesian/Oceania room is represented, you can hear the hyenas as they appear now, etc.)

But I like how the new version lingers longer for each scene and loop, and you can close your eyes and picture yourself longer in the Africa and Latin America rooms, for instance (since they have fewer loops these go by faster than the earlier rooms, but get more exposure in the new mix). IASW is to this day one of my all time favorites, (and my fave attraction on the set) and I'm glad to see it get such deluxe treatment on this disc.

PROGRESSLAND

Again, I commend the inclusion of the actual soundtrack of CoP to the set. Although similar to the DL 50th version, it's nice to have it here, as to me the point of any audio set about attractions should at least have a soundtrack to those attractions attempting to recreate their audio as they were actually experienced!

The alternate universe version is very interesting in and of itself, but would have been disappointing to me had it been the only version of the show on the set. The actual finished fair version IMO is tighter and has more warmth and humor, and more importantly, Rover! What would the CoP be without Rover? (and his various aliases :rolleyes:.

What's interesting about having the longer, earlier version on here to compliment the finished WF iteration is that one can get some insight into the process of how the Imagineers work/worked towards improving and strengthening their ideas.

(As a side note, although I can be quite the "purist", in many ways the current WDW version is my favorite version of the show, as the last Christmas scene with the whole family together really feels warm to me, but I digress.)

Toucan and the Parrot - What a charming little gem that I never even knew existed before I got this set! I love animal AA's, and I can just close my eyes and picture the birdies talking to one another.

Mirror Maze - What a great cue! At around 2:15 I thought, where have I heard this recording before? I'm pretty sure it's used as backround music at the sublime Walt Disney: One Man's Dream exhibit at Disney's Hollywood Studios at WDW. I really like the motif that runs from around 2:10 to 3:00 in this track. It kind of reminds me of the qualities I like about "Monorail Music".

MR. LINCOLN

I really enjoy the score-only tracks. I've heard the dialogue so many times on the 50th (and this is not meant as a slight to Lincoln at all) that a lot of times if I'm not in the mood to focus on something serious and presidential when listening to the 50th set, I subconsiously find myself focusing more on the music than the words. These score-only tracks allow Buddy Baker's score to shine through as great pieces of music on their own merit.

Note that this is not a complaint about dialogue being included on the 50th. My first choice would always be to recreate the attraction, with "score-only" being a nice "bonus feature" as it is presented here.

In gerenral I'm a bigger fan of score-only tracks when the only thing being ommited is dialogue or sound effects, as on Lincoln. Since I consider lead vocals of a song to be part of the musical experience, ommiting those when I've experienced it takes some getting used to. But in the case of IASM and CoP on this set, since the versions with vocals are already presented as part of the attraction soundtracks themselves, I can enjoy the isolated score tracks more for what they are.

MAGIC SKYWAY

I read the book (which is excellent, by the way!) before I played the discs, for reasons mentioned above. When I read about George Bruns' score for Magic Skyway being included with Walt's narration, I thought " I wonder if this includes the music used to underscore the behind the scenes-type look at the caveman sequence on the Disneyland Goes To The World's Fair anthology epsode". And happily, it does!

Other favorite tracks on Disc 4 for me include the music loop from International Gardens and of course Auto Parts Harmonic, which like the Toucan/Parrot AA show on Disc 1 is for me another charming gem I never even knew existed until I got the set!

An interesting thing I've noticed about this track is the book lists the song titles as "Humphrey Hop", "Parts, Inc.", and "Nineteen Twenty Five", yet the last piece sounds a lot like a different arrangement of "Happy Rag" from the New Orleans Square section of the 50th set. Could this piece have more than one name?

Likewise, the track labeled "Nation On Wheels" is not the track of the same name on the 50th set - this track is actually called "Monorail Song" on the 50th set!

FINAL THOUGHTS

Thanks again Randy, for such a great set. I can't help but hope that if something like this can happen, then hopefully the park that's been described as Disney's "permanent World's Fair" - Epcot, can get some boxed set love too! (either on it's own or as part of a long-awaited WDW box :lol:

David