The Main Street Electrical Parade (Summer Nightastic)

Horizons

Playlist Author
Yes Danny, but how awkward to guests would this sound?

"... Walt Disney World proudly presents... Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade"

They just need to fix the drum float or fix the audio. Too many inconsistencies...
I vote to change the audio. I can live with the drum.

I want to know why they've replaced the original music with that Tokyo version of Baroque Hoedown. Hate it. What have they got against using the original recordings that were already in existence??? All the announcements, music, etc., already existed! Why do it over again? Just insert new units as needed and be done with it.

almandot

I want to know why they've replaced the original music with that Tokyo version of Baroque Hoedown. Hate it. What have they got against using the original recordings that were already in existence??? All the announcements, music, etc., already existed! Why do it over again? Just insert new units as needed and be done with it.

Disneyland did it because, being a resort of locals who've seen the parade many many times, they felt something different like that was a nice pull for their summer nightastic promotion. WDW is doing it because they just planned on spending as little as possible and importing the parade straight from the west coast. If they switched the music back to the old music they would've had to redo, well probably get rid of, all the fairy dust effects which whether you care about them or not would be a hassle and likely costly to get rid of only to have to put back on when sending it back to Disneyland.

TheParseeMan

Another reason is because the Tokyo version from Disneyland's Summer Night-tastic already has the "Bling! Bliiiiiinnnnngggggg!" sounds from Tinkerbell's float. :)

bri1580

"Walt's Music" has posted a podcast featuring Don Dorsey speaking at a Disneyland Alumni benefit dinner from a few weeks ago. It is a must-listen if you are a fan of the music of the Main Street Electrical Parade. One portion of Don's talk deals specifically with the vocoder introduction of the parade in which he provides a demonstration of how it works AND plays Jack Wagner's original un-vocoded announcement. It becomes very easy to understand how they took the original announcement, and spliced & diced it to work with today's Magic Kingdom parade. (The vocoder-specific talk occurs from 900-1145 on the counter).

Don also discusses one of the reasons Tokyo requested a re-record of the music for their Dreamlights parade: the original "Baroque Hoedown" underliner is entirely in 2/4 time, with the exception of a single random 3/4 measure that occurs in the loop. I honestly never ever noticed it until Don pointed it out, but apparently it has been driving parade choreographers and performers nuts for 30+ years. If you are not musically inclined, the 3/4 measure is the piece of music heard from 1:27 - 1:28 on the MSEP track from Disneyland's Fantasmic CD.

Listen to Don Dorsey's talk. It is great:

http://mountainears.org/wm/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=145:waltsmusic-podcast-don-dorsey&Itemid=33

almandot

The dreaded 7-count bugged people waltzing in the cinderella unit more than anyone.. Truth be told I could never really notice it myself. In my head while listening to it I keep hearing "1, 2, 3, 4" throughout the entire loop because i'm not quite musically inclined in that manner :cd: