The Main Street Electrical Parade (Summer Nightastic)

dkrfla

After having heard the new intro to the WDW Summer Nightastic I find myself a bit confused. I am almost certain that it is Jack Wagner's voice doing the intro and yet it says "The Magic Kingdom" proudly presents". I have seen every version that has ever been at WDW and never recall the intro being The Magic Kingdom except for the 99-01 run. And this clearly not the same voice from then. All older versions I have heard and or seen all said "Walt Disney World Proudly presents". So I wonder if Jack may have done a Magic Kingdom version at some point and i missed it or if it may be someone else. Any thoughts?

Horizons

Playlist Author
After having heard the new intro to the WDW Summer Nightastic I find myself a bit confused. I am almost certain that it is Jack Wagner's voice doing the intro and yet it says "The Magic Kingdom" proudly presents". I have seen every version that has ever been at WDW and never recall the intro being The Magic Kingdom except for the 99-01 run. And this clearly not the same voice from then. All older versions I have heard and or seen all said "Walt Disney World Proudly presents". So I wonder if Jack may have done a Magic Kingdom version at some point and i missed it or if it may be someone else. Any thoughts?
I have the same question but I wasn't able to find an answer, at least one that had support to back up the claim.

On the most accurate websites ever (Wiki) says :)blink:) :

"Jack Wagner was the voice that was synthesized for the intro and outro to the parade, until Don Dorsey took over after Wagner died in 1995, as noted by Dorsey in a documentary about the parade: "From One Lightbulb To Another"."

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
I'm remembering hearing a version that mentions the Magic Kkingdom. Perhaps I have it on vinyl but I'll have to doublecheck.

Zarpman

Remember that Jack Wagner also never recorded the line "Disney proudly presents..." that plays when the parade runs at Disney's California Adventure park.

I believe it was mentioned back when the parade was premiering at California Adventure that Don Dorsey used the original Jack Wagner intro with Don himself speaking the words "Disney" and "Disney's" to fill in the missing gaps in the intro. I haven't heard officially that this is how they created this newest iteration of the vocoder announcement, but it's entirely possible the same method was used.

Is anyone else irritated that they went to great lengths to rebrand the parade in the audio announcement, yet the title drum still reads "Disney's Electrical Parade"? I for one think the parade is much better named as "Main Street Electrical Parade", but if they couldn't change the float why bother with the audio? I think the inconsistency bothers me more.

... but who cares. I'm tickled that Florida has any version of the "Electrical Parade"!

Horizons

Playlist Author
I'm more upset they didn't use the "Walt Disney World proudly presents...." audio instead. I need this for my collection!

Zarpman

I'm more upset they didn't use the "Walt Disney World proudly presents...." audio instead. I need this for my collection!

I doubt we'll ever see that used again. That intro was made back when there wasn't any other parks at Walt Disney World and most people associated that name with the Magic Kingdom. I'm sure if there was any money left in the budget, SpectroMagic would have lost its "Walt Disney World presents" verbiage on its title float (although it is nice to see the vintage Walt Disney World logotype still lingering on).

I'm also digging how Disney claims that the Main Street Electrical Parade will end its run in August in an attempt to get people to rush down and see it during its "limited engagement" when we all know that it isn't seem cost effective to have that parade shipped thousands of miles for such a short window. Anyone want to place bets on when Disney releases a press release with the words "Due to popular demand" claiming the Electrical Parade will be around for an extended time (through 2012 as the rumor mill reports)?

Anyone hear anything about a CD release of the parade? I'm surprised there hasn't been much mention of merchandise surrounding Summer Nightastic. Perhaps a CD with the "new" fireworks and the updated parade soundtrack? Theme park music releases have been in short supply of recent, save for some updates to the Haunted Mansion CD and repackaging of the Fantasmic! and Disney's Animal Kingdom music. Even a new Official Album would be nice to see in the parks (even if it only has a couple of new or remastered tracks, you know we will all buy it anyway).

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I'm also digging how Disney claims that the Main Street Electrical Parade will end its run in August...
Psssst! Hey, buddy! Yeah, you! Wanna' buy some souvenir light bulbs? :blink:

Anyone hear anything about a CD release of the parade? I'm surprised there hasn't been much mention of merchandise surrounding Summer Nightastic. Perhaps a CD with the "new" fireworks and the updated parade soundtrack?
Not gonna' happen. But, to Merchandising's credit, they did remove a row of Jonas Brothers CDs in order to make room for the 2001 Disney's Electrical Parade CD.

bri1580

It sounds to me like Jack Wagner's original Disneyland MSEP introduction with "the Magic Kingdom" edited in.

Don Dorsey talked about the process for creating the introduction to Disney's Electrical Parade at DCA in this interview with Laughing Place:

"To recreate the opening announcement which is so much a part of the feel of the parade, just the rhythm of it and the sound of it and everything, I went back and found in my library the original Jack Wagner voice tracks that we had used to process the Vocoder announcement and so I took Jack’s voice and edited out the words that had to change and put my own voice in and then we reprocessed the whole thing. But we kept the rhythm of it exactly the same and we used as much of Jack as possible so it has the original pacing and feeling and sound, his annunciation. So Jack is still a part of the parade." (http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID502990.asp)

It seems that this time around, a similar process was followed with the exception being that it was Jack Wagner's own voice being edited into the announcement rather than Don Dorsey's. This is actually more apparent in the closing announcment which seems to say "the Magic Kingdom [as opposed to the Magic Kingdom'S] Main Street Electrical Parade." I don't know why this wasn't done the first time around in 2001, as it would seem that just like "the Magic Kindgom" there are probably thousands of Jack Wagner announcements that include the words "Disney" or "Disney's."

Horizons

Playlist Author
What version of MESP was used for the words "Magic Kingdom?" I thought the 2001 voice, when MSEP was brought back to WDW, was not Jack Wagner's. I thought what you were saying is that they used another verson of "Magic Kingdom" spoken by Jack and inserted into the old (original) dialog, replacing "Walt Disney World.." I have an excellent recording of the closing announcement, so I'll see if the word "Disney" or "Disney's" is used.

bri1580

What version of MESP was used for the words "Magic Kingdom?" I thought the 2001 voice, when MSEP was brought back to WDW, was not Jack Wagner's. I thought what you were saying is that they used another verson of "Magic Kingdom" spoken by Jack and inserted into the old (original) dialog, replacing "Walt Disney World.." I have an excellent recording of the closing announcement, so I'll see if the word "Disney" or "Disney's" is used.

That is what I'm saying - that the words "the Magic Kingdom" were pulled from from an announcement totally unrelated to the MSEP. It could have just as easily come from his intro to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Parade - or any other announcement in which he said the words "the Magic Kingdom." Working with the original tracks, they edited those words into the original announcement, then put it back through the vocoder. In this case, the vocoder helps mask the fact that there are any edits at all. It equalizes the sound of his voice between what was clearly not a single recording session. They actually did a much better job on this one than the 2001 DEP introduction.

I think it is a nice touch that they went to the trouble of creating a Jack Wagner/ "Magic Kingdom" introduction to the parade when they could have just as easily used the non-Jack Wagner intro from 99-01.

Why they didn't go one step further and change the name of the parade on the drum is beyond me...

Horizons

Playlist Author
That is what I'm saying - that the words "the Magic Kingdom" were pulled from from an announcement totally unrelated to the MSEP.
Good point.

I think it is a nice touch that they went to the trouble of creating a Jack Wagner/ "Magic Kingdom" introduction to the parade when they could have just as easily used the non-Jack Wagner intro from 99-01.
Or just use the original WDW intro announcement and no edits would be necessary. :blink: By the way, the closing announcement says "Magic Kingdom's."

almandot

Even if it's Jack Wagner's voice, which I'm certainly happy if it is, it sounds so very different from the original and much more of a muddled robotic voice. Original voice is great but if it's not processed the same way it sounds way different anyways.

chrisps

I watched a video on you tube of the main street electrical parade over the weekend and I think that the parade is really good and I am glad that the old intro is back in the parade again it brings back really happy memories for me does anyone know if the parade is going to be at the Disney world resort next summer? I am hoping to go to the Disney world resort with my family next summer and I am also hoping to see the main street electrical parade next summer at the Disney world resort with the old intro in the parade. I was also hoping that there was going to be a new Cd made for the main street electrical parade this summer like there was in 99-2001 I still have that Cd and I listen to the Cd alot to remember the parade from 99-2001 at the Disney world resort. I have also hured rumors about Spectromagic going to the Disneyland resort this summer and staying at the Disneyland resort and not coming back to the Disney world resort does anyone know if Spectromagic is coming back to the Disney world resort after August 14th of this summer or going to the Disneyland resort? I like both electrical parades but I relly like the main street electrical parade better than Spectromagic but when I saw Spectromagic in 2008 with my famly I relly enjoyed the parade and I am happy that the Disney world resort has the main street electrical parade again this summer until August 14th of this year but someone that I have talked to on another Disney site says that the main street electrical parade is going to stay after August 14th of this summer I am hoping that is true so I can see the main street electrical parade next summer with my family if I go to the Disney world resort next summer. I have a question about the Disney's electrical parade soundtrack is that Cd been sold at the Disney world resort this summer if it is can I order the Cd from this site or the Disney world mail order system this summer? I have a question about the Disney's electrical parade soundtrack does it have the Disney's electrical parade and a track of the old Disneyland main street electrical parade and is the CD the same as the main street electrical parade Cd that was sold at the Disney world resort in 1999-2001?

Zarpman

So, has anybody braved the crowds to get an induction (or better) recording of the current vocoder announcement?

Zarpman

Yes Danny, but how awkward to guests would this sound?

"... Walt Disney World proudly presents... Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade"

They just need to fix the drum float or fix the audio. Too many inconsistencies...