The Haunted Mansion CD / LE Box Set [2009]

BoogaFrito

Will the Phantom Manor track be different (include a greater selection of music) than the tracks heard on the Disneyland Paris CD's? This is the one I'm most interested in...

The Trout

Randy, will the vinyl be from the new digital master you've just made or from the original analog tapes? I was REALLY disappointed with the sound on the "Walt Disney Takes You To Disneyland" vinyl, as it was clearly from a digital master and parts of it were drowning in no-noise artifacts(which shouldn't even EXIST on vinyl).

Gurgitoy2

THE BIG BLACK BOX

Before you start fretting over the Haunted Mansion box, I want to assure you that no additional tracks of audio are included. The audio between the 2 CDs is exactly the same. It was actually something I insisted on when I was approached to create an exclusive for the event. I'm not a big fan of 'exclusives'. I believe everyone should have an opportunity to enjoy the music. That's why the CDs will be available beyond this event.

[floatright] [/floatright]For those of you who may be interested, here's what the box is –

It's a beautiful Black on Black box with the subtle hint of the famous Wall Paper on which is emblazoned Haunted Mansion attraction logo in a gloss purple. The box also has a great leathery-like texture (click on the thumbnail to see a larger pre-production image in the Cover Art Gallery).

Inside are both The Story and Song from the Haunted Mansion, and The Haunted Mansion attraction soundtrack CDs set in a purple support tray.

Here are the exclusives only available in The Box –

2 high quality 12x12 prints of Collin Campbell's paintings from The Story and Song from The Haunted MansionThe Cover, and The Hat Box Ghost. Both are full-bleed images. That means the images go beyond the boarders of the album and include Mr. Campbell's over-painting and brush wipes – just like the original paintings. Of course, these are from the Hi Rez scans I've talked about before.

The big item (in my mind) is an accurate reproduction of the original vinyl – complete with 11 page book. As with the CD version, the entire package was rebuilt from these new Hi Rez scans, and the vinyl was pressed from the newly restored master.

I was hesitant to post about this, as it is so extremely limited – not to mention that the event is already sold out in all tiers. So unless you already had admission, it would be out of reach. But with some unscrupulous folks probably selling this set on eBay for what could be a ridiculous sum, I wanted you to know that you weren’t going to miss out on anything other than a cool box, 2 prints, and a vinyl. I mean, they are really, really cool, but it may not be worth it for you if you only have a casual interest in such items.

Only 999 of these boxes that will be released. There will be no re-prints. I don't know for sure if there will be a limit to how many sets one can buy at he event, but with such a low number, I have to assume that there will be. There isn't even enough for everyone at the event to get one.

Hope that helps your decision making process.

Randy
Hey, Randy, thanks for the update on the "Black Box". Even though there is no new audio (thanks for not letting them do that), the set still looks really nice. I love the look of the box cover, even just the scanned image. It's pretty classy. If I was going to the event, I would get this for sure. Now, I don't know if I would pay too much for it on Ebay, but it is truly very nice.

Randy, will the vinyl be from the new digital master you've just made or from the original analog tapes? I was REALLY disappointed with the sound on the "Walt Disney Takes You To Disneyland" vinyl, as it was clearly from a digital master and parts of it were drowning in no-noise artifacts(which shouldn't even EXIST on vinyl).

Hiya Trout!

The vinyl does use the restored master.

Concerning the Walt Disney Takes You To Disneyland vinyl, I'm puzzled by what you're hearing. The original master was in excellent condition and very little restoration was done – mostly fixing edits, balancing, and EQ. After I read your post, I pulled the master and listened. Even on phones I didn't hear any artifacts on the master (the same master was used for the vinyl and the CD release). Do you have the CD version as well? With the CD version available as a physical product as well as being available on iTunes, I’m sure I would have heard about these artifacts long before now.

If you’re familiar with my restoration work on The Classic Soundtracks, The Musical History of Disneyland, The World’s Fair, the vintage Walt Disney Records titles (on iTunes) and the like, you’ll know that I don’t over do it with the de-noising. As a matter of fact, I’ve been accused of not using enough de-noise on a few projects. But I firmly believe that it is better to live with a little noise, than introduce artifacts of any kind. When you de-noise too much, the ambient sound of the recording itself starts to diminish – and that’s long before you start causing artifacts. I don’t even go that far. As I mentioned, I’d rather live with a little noise than crush it to death.

The vender that pressed the Walt Disney Takes You To Disneyland vinyl is no longer in business, and The Story and Song from the Haunted Mansion vinyl was pressed by another (highly regarded) vender.

Thanks for the post. I hope this puts you at ease with the upcoming vinyl.

Randy

Will the Phantom Manor track be different (include a greater selection of music) than the tracks heard on the Disneyland Paris CD's? This is the one I'm most interested in...

:p

Ooops!

After re-reading my response to The Trout, I discovered that when I edited it to correct a spelling error, I inadvertently deleted a paragraph about my theory of what he may be hearing. Kinda the whole point of the post. So, I'll add that bit now:

Seeing that I used very few de-noising filters (and it can't be heard on the Masters or CD), the only thing I can think of is that it may have been introduced during the lacquer cutting. If too much compression is added, and / or lower grade (or faulty) Digital to Analog converters were used, that can produce a very similar affect. If that is what may have happened, the vender that pressed the Walt Disney Takes You To Disneyland vinyl is no longer in business, and The Story and Song from the Haunted Mansion vinyl was pressed by another (highly regarded) vender.

Ironically, the part I deleted was what I hoped would make you feel better about the new record (I do miss saying that). But I do hope it helps.

Randy

The Trout

Thanks for the info, Randy. I listen to a lot of vinyl and CDs, and have been subject to a LOT of "remasters" that sounded much worse than the original releases - you probably know the drill: ridiculous loudness and no-noise that makes music sound like its being played underwater. I was fairly certain that whatever problems I had with WDTYTD weren't YOUR fault, since I generally LOVE your work and know that you try to make your Disney releases as audiophile-friendly as possible.

I've never heard the CD version of "Walt...", but I'll have to give the Walt vinyl another spin and report back. I just recall it sounding terrible, to the point that I wondered if someone ELSE had mastered it instead of you. Maybe I was just having a bad night, but I swear the effect I heard was VERY similar to that of noise reduction.

EDIT: Alright, maybe I was just going nuts a couple years ago, because now the vinyl of Walt sounds pretty good. Maybe I just needed to upgrade my turntable. The last time I played this record was on a pretty low-end rig. The CD (which I just snagged on *shudder* iTunes) is still a bit better though - not surprising since they come from the same master. At that point, all vinyl could do is add a little more resolution. That said, all the voices on the LP, particularly Walt's, still sound kinda funky. I'm thinking that the original engineer just soaked it in too much reverb.

Now, to see about getting my hands on the D23 Mansion vinyl...

gmeader

As the original Audio Mixer for Phantom Manor it's nice to know that the work we did 19 years ago (Holy Cow has it been that long :p ) is still appreciated. I wish everyone could hear Debney's arrangements in the studio. They sounded amazing.

The stereo mix of Phantom that was heard on the Haunted Mansion disc from a few years ago was originally created by me as a demo walk through for Jeff Burke (Phantom Manor show producer). He needed a way to walk the French executives through the attraction and explain to them what they would be seeing and hearing in each particular scene. He literally put an analog cassette tape into his boom box (commercially available iPODS and mp3 files were still a decade away), put it on his shoulder and played the show as he walked though the un-finished ride. The reason this mix didn't contain all the tracks heard in the show was because it was created approximately one year before the park opened and many of the audio tracks weren't completed yet. The plan was to go back and create a final mix using all the tracks but due to time constraints that never happened. It sounds as if that may change with this latest release.

Many years later I attended Buddy Baker's memorial service at which they played live versions of some of his music. The most amazing thing heard that day (by me anyway) was the original demo version of "Grim Grinning Ghosts". This was performed live with rhythm section and choir. To hear original Haunted Mansion music live even though it had been written some 40 years earlier was incredible.

Greg

I am planning on going to WDW soon after the event in DL, but do we know if the CD's will be available in both parks, or just in DL? I want to order mine if I can only be purchased in DL.

I'd like to order the new Haunted Mansion cd as soon as it is released, but I'm anticipating some difficulty. The previous - or perhaps still currently in print - cd is also titled "The Haunted Mansion." The people at DeliverEARS and at WDW mail order seem to have pretty persistent problems identifying items in their system. Now throw another item with the same title into the mix and I'm expecting even more confusion on their end.

I'd also like to order the CD from Walt Disney World's mail order at the same time along with the "Four Parks, One World 2008 Official Album of the Walt Disney World Resort." I've been unable to locate the WDW OA at Disneyland. People on this board had stated that you could but I could not find it on trips to Disneyland in June and August. Does anyone know whether WDW has gotten it back in stock yet? When I was there in early May the resort's supply was so low that I never found one. Now, I'm looking on usually dependable park merchandise sites like Mouseshoppe and the LaughingPlace.com store where "Four Parks, One World" is either not listed at all or is listed as sold out.

If anyone gets any firm info on how to successfully order the correct Haunted Mansion cd, or if the WDW cd is available again, it would be much appreciated.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
The previous - or perhaps still currently in print - cd is also titled "The Haunted Mansion."
Don't even get me started. :wacko:

Does anyone know whether WDW has gotten it [Four Parks • One World] back in stock yet?
It comes and goes. I've got a couple of copies sitting on my desk right now...

I'm looking on usually dependable park merchandise sites like Mouseshoppe and the LaughingPlace.com
You'll be able to purchase park CDs right here shortly. Giveaways are coming, too. :p

If anyone gets any firm info on how to successfully order the correct Haunted Mansion cd
Randy may step in sooner... but I'll post the UPC as soon as I know it.

Hiya Robert!

Here's the UPC for the new Haunted Mansion CD –

The product number (found at the bottom of the spine) is –

D000439402

That should make it easier to identify.

Randy

I just wanted to thank Randy for making this an addition, not a replacement, to the previous HM release. As a completist and a detail freak, I like having a series of releases that cover a wide spectrum of park music without duplicating each other. Now that we're getting real, quality park music releases there's no reason that they can't stay in print permanently. Instead of having to crank out new editions of old titles, I love that we can get a reference-quality release for an attraction and move on to something else. Well, maybe after I replace those earlier Red Dot Net HM and Pirates discs that had lower-quality packaging... told you I was a detail freak.

Anyway, it's just good to know that we can get Mansion and Pirates out of the way, have the wonderful World's Fair discs, and can move on to new things!

Randy, I'm really looking forward to seeing you at D23. I hate that the schedule is so packed; I hope I don't get shut out of the presentation!

And, though it's OT, I should add that those merchandise events really hack me off. I don't really understand the logic behind them. They're based on the assumption that the items they're offering are the really cool things that people want to buy - so why make them limited editions? If they're the coolest of the cool merchandise-wise, why not sell them all the time? I know you create this aura of scarcity, but how does it help Disney to have these things going for ridiculous prices on eBay?

chrisps

I would also like to say thanks to Randy for making the new haunted mansion cd that is going to come out the day before my 26th birthday this year. I have a question for Randy about the haunted mansion cd will I be able to get the cd through the Disneyworld mail order when it comes out on the day before my 26th birthday this year? I hope to get the new Haunted mansion cd when it comes out the day before my 26th birthday this week I might order the cd this week to get to listen to the new haunted mansion cd but I have a question about the cd for Randy will the cd be at the Disney parks for just this year or will it still be at the Disney parks next year? I have another question for Randy about the haunted mansion cd will the Tokyo Disneyland haunted mansion be on this cd and will the Disneyworld's Haunted mansion be on the new cd or will it just be the Disneyland haunted mansion on the new cd?

Club 33

Playlist Author
FYI, as of today the CD is not in the system at WDW Mail Order. I guess that shouldn't come as a surprise since it doesn't come out 'till Wednesday, but it was worth a try I guess.

Dear ##########,

Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately I am unable to retrieve any
information on this CD but you may want to contact Disneyland for
further assistance. They can be reached at 800-760-3566.

Thank You,
Barbara
Walt Disney World
Merchandise Guest Services
9/7/09

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I have a question about the cd for Randy will the cd be at the Disney parks for just this year or will it still be at the Disney parks next year? I have another question for Randy about the haunted mansion cd will the Tokyo Disneyland haunted mansion be on this cd and will the Disneyworld's Haunted mansion be on the new cd or will it just be the Disneyland haunted mansion on the new cd?
Tokyo Disneyland's Haunted Mansion will not be represented on this CD when it comes out the day before your 26th birthday. Likewise, Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion will not be represented on this CD when it comes out the day before your 26th birthday. Odds are excellent, though, that you will still be able to purchase the CD in the parks on the day before your 27th birthday. :wacko:

chrisps

Thanks for the Info about the haunted mansion cd Jay I might have to go to the Disneyworld resort next year to get the new cd. I am going to try to get the cd through the Disneyworld mail order if I can. I have a question for Randy or Jay do any of you know the tracks that are on this cd that comes out the day before my birthday this week? I have found out on this site about the cd last week and it made me want to become a member of this site. I think that it is relly cool that Randy has done a haunted mansion cd for the 40th anniversary of the haunted mansion. If I go to the Disneyworld resort next year I will have to get 2 cds from Randy at the Disneyworld resort next years Disneyworld official album cd and the 40th anniversary haunted mansion cd that gives me 2 things to get at the Disneyworld resort next year if I go to the Disneyworld resort next year.

WDWGuy08

Hey Randy! How about doing a Magic Kingdom 40th Anniversary Box Set in 2011!!! Whose with me on that one?