Jungle Cruise Queue BGM

Horizons

Playlist Author
I know the current Jungle Cruise Queue BGM is the "Albert AWOL" version. Does anyone have information on the version(s) that played before this one? Is it possible that WDW's used to be the same as DL?

Another BGM I would like to find information on (or find the actual audio) is the Tiki Room entrance queue BGM. To my knowledge, the loop did not change when the attraction turned to the "Under New Management" version. I think it only plays as you walk through the turnstiles, right in front of the entrance.

Horizons

Playlist Author
I am somewhat familar with the Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny based on some previous posts (although I haven't purchased the CD yet). The loop I am speaking of is comprised of several songs, although I haven't sat there and listened to the entire loop (at least not yet). I thought the Quiet Village song played inside the queue, as you waited for the pre-show to start. The loop I am referring to plays as you walk up to enter the attraction. Perhaps they are the same, I'm not sure on this one.

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
A member of MB posted the JC queue loop compilation, of which I'm attempting to reconstruct:

Jungle Cruise Queue Music

1.  Here Comes My Ball and Chain (Coon Sanders Nighthawks Orchestra)
2.  Plenty of Money and You (Count Basie)
3.  Jeepers, Creepers
4.  Yes, Yes, My Baby Said Yes, Yes (Eddie Cantor)
5.  It's the Girl
6.  Listen to the Rhythm King (Coon Sanders Nighthawks Orchestra)
7.  Love is Good for Anything That Ails You
8.  Unknown Instrumental
9.  What A Girl, What A Night (Coon Sanders Nighthawks Orchestra)
10. Unknown Instrumental
11. I Get A Kick Out Of You (from Anything Goes)
12. You're The Top (From Anything Goes)
13.  Let's Misbehave (Cole Porter)
14.  Painting the Clouds with Sunshine
15.  Unknown Instrumental
16.  All the King's Horses, All the King's Men

I do not believe that the loops could be the same, since the DLR one refers to the Indiana Jones attraction.

Other than that, I can't help you. How new is the one at WDW playing now?

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
The loop I am referring to plays as you walk up to enter the attraction. Perhaps they are the same, I'm not sure on this one.
I just asked my daughter about this. She put in her dues at ATT (Aladdin, Tiki, Treehouse) before moving on to the Haunted Mansion. She says there are two different loops. Quiet Village is played while you're waiting in the gardens. The wait is 10 minutes, so there can't be more than 3-4 songs total, if Quiet Village isn't all that there is. Outside is a different loop, and she remembers Hawaiian War Chant being a part of it.

Guess we'll have to investigate...

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
...of which I'm attempting to reconstruct
What exactly would be the point of this? They are very old songs, mono, low quality, presented in a way that is supposed to sound like old time radio, which is also mono and low quality. I can't imagine your reconstruction ending up sounding any better than what is currently already out there. And, if it does, you will have done something horribly wrong. :blink:

Horizons

Playlist Author
A member of MB posted the JC queue loop compilation, of which I'm attempting to reconstruct:

I do not believe that the loops could be the same, since the DLR one refers to the Indiana Jones attraction.

Other than that, I can't help you. How new is the one at WDW playing now?
What loop is this a list from? The Albert AWOL version? If so, why would there be a need to reconstruct it when a copy of the source tape is widely available?

I have seen discussions where some have claimed to have the early version as well, but, to date, I haven't been able to find a copy (unless I already have it and just thought it was a DL version).

Gurgitoy2

Was there even a loop at DL prior to the makeover in the mid-90's to match Indy? I don't remember there being any music at all while waiting in line for the attraction when it just had the thatched hut covering over the queue. I do remember the ambient jungle sounds coming from the river, and the general adventureland loop, but nothing in the queue. I don't know about WDW's though.

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
To clear things up, I was going to gather the old time radio songs in their original version, and join them together (with some jungle sounds). Basically, the loop sans narration.

I was going to make it for myself (I wouldn't release it) as part of a personal project, because this particular loop is one of my favorites, and I've grown to like the songs that play in it.

Regarding the loop, I do remember radio broadcasts being heard at WDW, but the crowds were loud. When I go down to DLR I'll see if there is any loop.

Gurgitoy2

When I go down to DLR I'll see if there is any loop.
Well, there is now. There has been a version very similar to the current WDW used at Disnelyand since at least 1995 when the Indiana Jones Adventure opened. The difference in the DL version is that there is mention of Indy throughout the narration, and the songs may be different...the concept is the same though.

What I was saying, is that I don't think there was a queue loop prior to the 1995 DL Jungle Cruise upgrade. I could be wrong about this, but from my memory of riding the attraction prior to that, I don't remember any kind of music. In fact, I remember even as a kid, thinking that the Jungle Cruise had one of the most boring queues in the park. It was just a thatched roof covering over many switchbacks for quite a few years. The original 1955 watchtower version was much better looking, and they invoked that in the 1995 redo...only much fancier! I can't recall when they tore down that original queue building, but it must have been done by the early 70's...and changed to the very non-descript thatched covering.

Horizons

Playlist Author
I take it you're not a fellow Tiki/Exotica maven.

Martin Denny. Quiet Village.

Run, don't walk, and grab yourself a copy of this:

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FMMFQJSJL._SL160_AA115_.jpg[/img]

The Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny
One positive thing about collecting WDW audio is that fact that I have been exposed to music that I would not ordinarily have listened to. For example, because of my fascination with the Animal Kingdom Lodge, I now have a much greater appreciation for African/World music. Every park and resort opens up a whole new genre of music for me to explore. With that in mind, I just spent the last 30 minutes listening to samples from various CDs by Martin Denny, Don Tiki, and Arthur Lyman, thanks to POTW's link. And I love it! Who knew, other than POTW, that Tiki lounge music was so good? So now I have more CDs, and a whole new genre of music, to sort through.

For Bill's sake, perhaps I should start focusing on soundtrack composers (must remember those names)...

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
One positive thing about collecting WDW audio is that fact that I have been exposed to music that I would not ordinarily have listened to. For example, because of my fascination with the Animal Kingdom Lodge, I now have a much greater appreciation for African/World music. Every park and resort opens up a whole new genre of music for me to explore. With that in mind, I just spent the last 30 minutes listening to samples from various CDs by Martin Denny, Don Tiki, and Arthur Lyman, thanks to POTW's link. And I love it! Who knew, other than POTW, that Tiki lounge music was so good? So now I have more CDs, and a whole new genre of music, to sort through.

For Bill's sake, perhaps I should start focusing on soundtrack composers (must remember those names)...
Exactly. (Regarding new types of music.) I've started listening to bluegrass because of Splash Mountain's loop.

So does this CD play in a loop at the Tiki Room?

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
So does this CD [The Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny] play in a loop at the Tiki Room?
No. Martin Denny's Quiet Village plays in the loop. I pointed out this particular album, a "best of" collection, because it serves as a great introduction to Martin Denny's music. It also features a killer album cover, "Exotica," by famed artist Mark Ryden.

I just spent the last 30 minutes listening to samples from various CDs by Martin Denny, Don Tiki, and Arthur Lyman, thanks to POTW's link. And I love it! Who knew, other than POTW, that Tiki lounge music was so good?
Cool! I was going to tell you to pick up The Forbidden Sounds of Don Tiki right away, too. Also, The Exotic Moods of Les Baxter, and Voodoo by Robert Drasnin. Note that the Don Tiki and Les Baxter album covers were also done by Mark Ryden.

These albums are a good start, but are only scratching the surface of the Exotica genre.

Click on album covers for links to Amazon:

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FMMFQJSJL._SL160_AA115_.jpg[/img] [img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41V77HRV1SL._SL160_AA115_.jpg[/img] [img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515Y9B5CF4L._SL160_AA115_.jpg[/img] [img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/217HPANHHVL._SL160_AA115_.jpg[/img]

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Bill said:
Cut to: Pigs and Horizons go to the Hukilau.
LOL. I copied Horizons on the PM that I sent to you (back on May 18) about the Hukilau and he thought it was some kind of mistake.

The organizers had announced that 2008 was going to be the last year... but now I'm hearing rumblings that the Hukilau may be back for 2009.

If you're looking for a Disney tie-in, Kevin Kidney, an amazing artist who used to work for Disney, created the Hukilau logo and has done some wonderful seminars at previous Hukilaus on Walt Disney's interest in Polynesia and Tiki establishments and how it resulted in the Enchanted Tiki Room and the Polynesian Resort, etc.

Kevin has created some amazing new pieces for Disney in honor of the Enchanted Tiki Room's 45th anniversary - including a working Enchanted Tiki Room Fountain! Check out Kevin's blog (the latest entries are about the Hukilau and the famous Mai-Kai Restaurant in Fort Lauderdale), Kevin's flickr photostream, and Disney Event Services' page for Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room 45th Annniversary Merchandise.

I have to add a Thank You to POTW for that one too. I also got hooked on African music by listening to music from the Animal Kingdom. I doubt that I would have ever purchased a CD with African music on it if it were not for listening to the AK music. Now I am checking out the Tiki Lounge music, and I like it too. I even listen to more Bluegrass, which my father loves, because it is always playing when we stay at the Port Orleans Riverside every year. I now listen to some middle eastern music thanks to a great performace by MoRockin' in Epcot. "It's a Whole New World" of music out there just waiting to be discovered. Thanks guys!

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Bill said:
If you'd told me that Charles Phoenix and Beachbum Berry were going to be there, I probably would have made the trek! Was Sven Kirsten there?
I probably shouldn't mention, then, that Berry hands out some killer drink samples at his seminar. No, Sven did not make the trip. I understand he was busy at the Cologne Zoo (in Germany). He did pass along "well wishes" for everyone who would be in attendance.

Bill said:
Literally he [Kevin Kidney] is responsible for ALL of the Disney merch that I've loved over the past couple years.
You and me both.

By the way, if you remember the totally sweet Tiki Room Host/Hostess Shirt Replicas that appeared in the Disney Catalog, you've actually already seen Kevin - he's the model! - and there is a story as to how it all came about. They only produced 500 of those shirts in both purple and green and I managed to scoop up nearly a dozen of each color.

Gurgitoy2

Ok, so about the Jungle Cruise....

When I posted about only remembering the thatched roof queue and no boathouse, I was pretty certain in my memories. Then, I looked for pictures online to see when the original boathouse was removed...but I was unable to find any good ones without a boathouse. So, I thought maybe I was crazy (quiet, Bill!) and imagined it.

So, I went home and pulled out "The Nickel Tour" to find out if it said anything about the boathouse tower. That book really is the best book on Disneyland, it's proven to be an invaluable resource for information. Anyway, the index is so well laid out that the Jungle Cruise has sub-points for each area of the attraction, and it had the boathouse/loading dock listed. So, I flipped to page 182 and there it was. Basically, the original 1955 boathouse tower was used by ride operators to keep an eye on all the boats along the river. However, by 1961 the foliage had grown so much that the tower was useless for it's intended purpose and was torn down. I didn't realize it happened that early, but it's nice to see that I was not imagining things and from 1961 to 1994 there was no boathouse tower and the queue was pretty boring with just the thatched covering.