Jungle Cruise Queue BGM

DavidG

Wow... having grown up in and near Cologne, the last thing I expected to find mentioned on this board was the zoo of my childhood years... Now what is Sven Kirsten (whose Book of Tiki I treasure) doing at my zoo? Uh... this isn't veering off-topic, is it?

Right, the Jungle Cruise. Sorry.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
...she remembers Hawaiian War Chant being a part of it.

Guess we'll have to investigate...
I spent some time listening to the Enchanted Tiki Room entrance loop last night.

There are actually several vocals mixed in with the Exotica stuff. I believe they are all the same artist/group. They have a big band sound, lots of different horns, with a singer who is a cross between Alfred Apaka and Bing Crosby.

I recognized one of the vocal tracks as O'ahu (My Lovely Island Home), written by Carmen Lombardo (Guy Lombardo's brother):

O'ahu, my lovely island home
No matter where I roam
I promise I'll come back to you

O'ahu, my lovely island fair
No other can compare
I miss your flowers and your skies of blue

The beach at Waikiki, the rolling surf on me
Oh, how I long to see and
Hear the beach boys sing and play,
Upon their ukuleles

O'ahu, until I see your shore
I'll miss you more and more
For only there my dreams will all come true[/size]

I recognized a vocal of My Little Grass Shack in Kealakekua Hawai'i. I'm sure everyone knows that one.

I recognized a vocal of Moon of Manakoora:

The moon of Manakoora filled the night
With magic polynesian charms
The moon of Manakoora came in sight
And brought you to my eager arms

The moon of Manakoora soon will rise again
Above the island shore
Then I'll behold it in your dusky eyes
And you'll be in arms once more

I recognized a vocal of Hawaiian Paradise:

Hawaiian paradise
Hawaiian heaven
Land of make believe come true

Please take me to your heart
Hawaiian heaven
Never more to part from you

Let me live and laugh with you
While love is young
And let me rest here
When my day is thru

Hawaiian paradise
At last I've found you
Land of make believe come true

I may have positively identified one of the Exotica tracks as The Enchanted Sea by Martin Denny.

And, yes, Hawaiian War Chant, as a big band instrumental, is also a part of the loop.

More as I know more...

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
So then it's likely that the loop cannot be reconstructed. :(
How did you arrive at this conclusion? ;)

I see no reason why the tracks can't be identified. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them turn out to be available on vinyl only, though.

In the case of the vocal tracks, they all start out sounding like It's Only a Paper Moon, by someone like Benny Goodman or Paul Whiteman, before eventually launching into the Hawai'ian lyrics (referenced above). I can't say that they really belong in the same loop as the Exotica stuff. Take the lyrics out, and they'd be much more at home over in the Jungle Cruise queue.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I recognized one of the vocal tracks as O'ahu (My Lovely Island Home), written by Carmen Lombardo (Guy Lombardo's brother)
Speaking of Guy Lombardo, the somewhat-out-of-place vocal tracks do sound a heck of a lot like Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians.

The man had a string of hits from 1927 through 1954, selling over 100 million records, but I'll be darned if I can find any of these Hawai'ian songs among what can be perused online.

In 1954, Guy Lombardo took over the Jones Beach Marine Theater in New York, and he staged a number of Off Broadway productions there, including one called Island Paradise in 1961-62. Younger brother Carmen is credited as having written the music for the production, and I'm wondering if O'ahu (My Lovely Island Home), which he actually wrote back in 1947, was a part of the show.

Unfortunately, other than the fact that Arthur Treacher may have been the show's starring attraction (yeah, the "fish and chips guy," who also played Constable Jones in Mary Poppins), I can't find anything else about Island Paradise on the net. C'mon now, how come there is no downloadable soundtrack on the iTMS?!

Oh, well, Guy Lombardo is probably way off base, anyway! ;)

Y'know, if there is anyone who works at DACS out there, lurking in the background, you could sure save me a heck of a lot of time by contacting me via PM or e-mail and sharing what you know. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean?

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I will be making some ambient recordings (complete with Aladdin's Flying Carpets announcements, beating tiki drums, and wandering guests) available shortly as low-quality mono MP3s for those who would like to help try to identify the unknown selections.

Edit: My findings for [topic="3793"]The Enchanted Tiki Room (Under New Management) Area Music[/topic] have been moved [topic="3793"]here[/topic].

Horizons

Playlist Author
Can't you climb on the roof and get an induction recording for us? How are we going to be able to identify tracks from a live recording with ambient noise?

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
Sorry for bumping up an old topic, but recently I've been wondering about the loop that played at the Jungle Cruise before Albert AWOL, if there was any. The AWOL loop references several boats and queue elements. I do not believe the DL loop was used in WDW because it made a reference to the Indiana Jones attraction, but I don't know what played before that, and perhaps they were the same.

Does anybody have a clue?

Horizons

Playlist Author
I've asked around, but I can't find anyone that knows for sure what played before the AWOL loop. I was going to check you tube or other sites to see if I could locate a live reference recording in order to piece it together for myself.

mrald

After obsessing over it for a few days, this is the most complete listing I can deliver for the Albert AWOL loop. Post additions/corrections if ya got 'em! :unsure:

1. (0:00) "Here Comes My Ball and Chain"
Artist: Coon-Sanders Nighthawks Orchestra
Year: 1928
Album: The Best of Coon-Sanders 1924-1932, The Coon-Sanders Nighthawks Vol 3
iTunes: Yes

2. (4:00) "With Plenty of Money and You" aka "Gold Diggers Lullaby"
Artist: Dick Powell
Year: 1936
Album: The Singing Troubador Soundtrack
Note: From the Warner Bros. movie "Gold Diggers of 1937"

3. (6:44) "Jeepers, Creepers" (Instrumental)
Artist: Exact artist unknown. Possibly Louis Armstrong from "At His Very Best"
Year: 1938
Album: unknown
iTunes: n/a
Other versions you may like: Nat Gonella, Django Reinhardt, Al Donahue & His Orchestra, Oscar Aleman

4. (9:10) "(Yes, Yes) My Baby Said Yes, Yes" aka "Yes, Yes"
Artist: Ambrose and His Orchestra?
Vocals: Sam Browne & The Carlyle Cousins
Year: 1932
Album: Pennies From Heaven 3-Disc UK Import, Pennies From Heaven Sountrack LP
iTunes: No
Other versions you may like: Eddie Cantor from Makin' Whoopee, Louie Jordan (with Bing Crosby)

5. (12:04) "Song of India" (Electrical Version)(Instrumental)
Artist: Paul Whiteman
Year: 1926
Album: n/a
Other good versions: Tommy Dorsey, Dorsey Brothers
Note: Hear a .ram file here: http://www.redhotjazz.com/pwo.html

6. (14:41) "It's the Girl"
Artist: The Boswell Sisters (and Dorsey Brothers)
Year: 1931
Album: Shout, Sister, Shout!
Note: This song has a 'slow' part that was trimmed for the AWOL loop.

7. (16:55) "(Listen To The) Rhythm King"
Artist: The Coon Sanders Nighthawks
Album: Everything Is Hotsy-Totsy Now, The Coon-Sanders Nighthawks Vol 3
iTunes: No, check Walmart.com Mp3 downloads or Amazon.com Mp3 downloads

8. (20:24) "Love is Good for Anything That Ails You"
Artist: Ida Sue McCune, conducted by Billy May
Year: 1981
Album: Pennies From Heaven Sountrack LP (1981)
Other versions you may like: Artie Shaw, Orlando
Note: IMDB incorrectly credits Phyllis Robbins, conducted by Orlando.
To the best of my knowledge, this track was recorded for the movie, and is only available on the Soundtrack LP or the film DVD.
(Although there appear to be some rips online.)
http://youdonthavetovisit.blogspot.com/200...01_archive.html

9. (22:32) "Harlem River Quiver" (Intrumental)
Artist: Duke Ellington & His Orchestra
Year: 1927
Album: Jungle Nights In Harlem (1927-1932)

10. (25:45) "What A Girl, What A Night" aka "Here We Are All Alone Just You And I"
Artist: The Coon-Sanders Nighthawks
Album: The Coon-Sanders Nighthawks Vol 3

11. (29:08 ) "Diga Diga Doo" (Intrumental)
Artist: Duke Ellington
Album: Possibly from "In The Twenties"
Other versions you may like: The Mills Brothers, Duke Ellington, Cootie Willians & His Rug Cutters, Bob Crosby & His Bobcats

12. (31:56) "I Get A Kick Out Of You"
Artist: Exact recording unknown
Year: 1934?
Other versions you may like: Artie Shaw, Mary Martin & Ray Sinatra
Note: could be audio ripped directly from the 1936 film "Anything Goes"

13. (33:38 ) "You're The Top"
Artist: Exact recording unknown
Year: 1934?
Other versions you may like: Cole Porter, Mel Torme, Ethel Merman & Johnny Green & His Orchestra
Note: could be audio ripped directly from the 1936 film "Anything Goes", but the female vocals do not sound like Ethel Merman.

14. (34:47) "Let's Misbehave"
Artist: Irving Aaronson And His Commanders, vocals by Phil Saxe
Album: Bullets Over Broadway (Music from the Motion Picture), Pennies From Heaven Sountrack LP

15. (37:07) "Painting the Clouds with Sunshine"
Artist: Jack Hylton & His Orchestra
Year: 1929
iTunes: no
Other versions you may like: Ambrose & His Orchestra, Nick Lucas

16. (40:16) "The Mooche" aka "The Mooch" (Intrumental)
Artist: Duke Ellington & His Cottom Club Orchestra
Album: The Centennial Collection: Duke Ellington

17. (44:46) "The King's Horses (And the King's Men)"
Artist: Jack Hylton & His Orchestra
Year: 1931
iTunes: No, but find a sample here: http://www.vintageip.com/records/VIP-DB-1002Trk19.mp3
Note: A version was featured in the Laurel & Hardy short "The Music Box."
http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/featuresho...1/81-cast2.html

MightyTriton

I also remember waiting in line under the grass thatched huts and there was a music loop in there. Music from African tribes played non stop. I remember trying to differentiate the songs from one another but they all sounded the same to me. The speakers were spread out and near the end of the switchbacks. The volume wasn't that loud unless you were directly under one of the speakers, so it did not interfere with all of the jungle sounds too much. Tahitian Terrace had a loop too that was complimented by all of the jungle sounds. I have a couple of short live recordings of poor quality from that time in which you can hear a sample of the loop.

Triton

Club 33

Playlist Author
Just curious- why is it called the Albert AWOL loop? I've never listened to it all the way through but in listening to sections of it I've never quite gotten the Albert reference. Of course, I've never ridden the MK version of the attraction, so I may be missing something.

A (what I believe to be) source copy of the full Disneyland Jungle Cruise loop as plays now has circulated. One of these days I'm going to record the loop (as well as the Indiana Jones queue radio loop) to make sure it's accurate. I think the JC one is accurate, I'm not so sure about the IJ one (as circulated, it may not be the entire loop- indeed a partial version of the JC loop has circulated as well, the full one is a bit harder to find).

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
Just curious- why is it called the Albert AWOL loop? I've never listened to it all the way through but in listening to sections of it I've never quite gotten the Albert reference. Of course, I've never ridden the MK version of the attraction, so I may be missing something.

A (what I believe to be) source copy of the full Disneyland Jungle Cruise loop as plays now has circulated. One of these days I'm going to record the loop (as well as the Indiana Jones queue radio loop) to make sure it's accurate. I think the JC one is accurate, I'm not so sure about the IJ one (as circulated, it may not be the entire loop- indeed a partial version of the JC loop has circulated as well, the full one is a bit harder to find).

At approximately 10 seconds into the track, the radio announcer introduces himself:

"This is Skipper Albert AWOL, the voice of the jungle - broadcasting on the DBC to all points unknown. If you're within the sound of my voice you are listening to "AWOL Airwaves" on the DBC." This particular spiel is repeated half way through the recording.

I have a 58:14 recording of the DLR Jungle Cruise queue, but it is in joint stereo, and sounds a bit like an induction. Is this a partial loop? Also, I only remember hearing this loop on the upper level of the JC - it does not play on the first floor.

Thanks very much for the list!!

crxbrett

According to Widen Your World, up until November 1991 (when the Jungle Cruise re-opened after a rehab), there was no BGM loop in the queue area, just ambiance and sounds.

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
Not worthy of a new topic...but the last track of the WDW Jungle Cruise loop, "The King's Horses (And the King's Men)" is available in the public domain...not sure what release WDI could have gotten it from, though.

In other news, a good amount of tracks in that loop come from the Pennies in Heaven OST.