Grand Floridian [1988]

Playlist Grand Floridian [1988]

Paul

I have a chance to stay at Grand Floridian in January with some down time. I have never heard music playing other than the live music in the lobby. Where is the best (and quietest) place to hear/record the current background loop? Also, any chance of sharing the original loop?

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I have never heard music playing other than the live music in the lobby.

In which case, the Grand Floridian loop should have no significance to you whatsoever. :ROFL:
Where is the best (and quietest) place to hear/

You can hear the loop outside in the porte-cochère and on the monorail platform, and inside the lobby from early morning until around 3:00 PM and then again from around 10:00 PM to 11:00 PM before it's shut off for the night.
/record the current background loop?

Probably inside the restrooms outside of Cítricos Lounge. But it won't be quiet. FLUSH! :eek: And, on the day you choose to try it, there is a 75% chance that the speakers will be out. :mad:

Paul

I had no luck at the Grand Floridian. The audio was very faint and in the ceiling. My device could not pick it up even in the early morning hours. I did get the "Can I help you" question from security - luckily that was recorded. The bathrooms at 1900 Park Fare and Citricos were without music. The speakers outside played the GFSO CDs. The Convention Center played tracks from at least 3 CDs: Disney Adventures in Jazz, Duke Ellington Plays Mary Poppins, and Steve Tyrell: The Disney Standards.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

The two speakers I saw/used were in the flower beds to each side of the boat dock area between the Sago Key and Sugarloaf buildings. Or you could say the water edge and Gasparilla Island Grill. They play the preshow music and Happily Ever After music during the fireworks at night.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
main stair case from the lobby, mid-landing

Yes, a good spot. There is also a low speaker behind the stairs, near the exit doors, where I have often contemplated connecting my mic and seeing how long I can get away with it. :cautious:

Already known. Track No. 14 in the original loop.

Also known. This one is part of the hastily done extension in 2013 that consisted of nothing more than tacking on a bunch of California Ramblers tracks.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Polka Dot Rag - Sidney Bechet - unknown source album
Polka Dot Stomp is Track 06. Sources are old 78s.

For the purposes of this particular loop / discussion thread, you can forget about the California Ramblers tracks, as those are part of the 2013 additions to the original loop.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Visible for the first time! 🤩

Work in progress! I have not had time to fill in best sources for most tracks. Four tracks, three of which are ragtime piano possibly from the same source, have yet to be identified. Some day... 😆

Paul

You removed some of the California Ramblers tracks I posted - which I understand do not fit the topic of the Pre2013 loop. Some actual loop tracks were removed in those posts also. Their were identified live by Sound Hound which I realize is not accurate but do any match your reference recording?
Rhythm Blue Take 3 fits the track length on the playlist
Polka Dot Stomp from Ken Burns Jazz: Sidney Bechet fits the length
Black Bottom Stomp from Jelly Roll - Birth of the Hot fits the length
East Saint Louis Toodle-O from The Cotton Club Soundtrack fits the length

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Magic Music updated Grand Floridian [1988] with a new update entry:

Track 05 Identified!

I found Track 05! I've had this darned melody rattling around in my brain for a good 15 year. 🤪

71bZJmtEiZL._AC_UY80_.jpg
05. Kitchen Tom ~2:43
Eubie Blake
Eighty Six Years of Eubie Blake
 iTunes   MP3 

Three tracks to go! 😆

Read the rest of this update entry...