Grand Floridian [1988]

Playlist Grand Floridian [1988]

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
Recently, a pool was installed on the beach, closer to the wedding pavilion. The Summerhouse bar at that location blasts Top-40, but this isn't a WED-prepared loop.

That's what the only music remember from the location.

Based on what that centuries old topic said, I'd be curious to find out if the Boardwalk/GF loops are the same. (Especially since Boardwalk has at least three music loops.)

Horizons

Playlist Author
In fact, I believe another member posted some information about the lobby music a few months back.

It was a few months ago, by Jay. If I am remembering correctly, it may have been just a post to watch this space for future information about the lobby loop.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
The Grand Floridian does not have background music loops.

Absolutely incorrect! Stand out on the monorail platform and you'll hear it plain as day; Ragtime and Jazz from the 1900s-1930s.
There is no music at the pool deck either.

Wrong again. Both pools have area music.
It was a few months ago, by Jay. If I am remembering correctly, it may have been just a post to watch this space for future information about the lobby loop.

What I said was that I would have an interesting story about how the loop came about.

Never enough hours in the day… :(

Horizons

Playlist Author
You're kidding, right? Only one loop that I know of...and it sucks! La Macarena and yodeling...what a combination! To each his/her own, I guess. :rolleyes:

Nope, I like yodeling music. What, you don't like the area music in Fantasyland? :unsure:

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Hmm, and I like La Macarena (as well as yodeling) although, never having been to Blizzard Beach I can't comment on the appropriateness of the music. ;)
I suspect (from pictures of BB) it would sound quite nice.
Must look for soundtracks.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Does anyone have an induction recording of this? :D

FoxxFur

Hey guys -- if it helps anyone at all, I once heard rumors that the Grand Floridian music was actually from the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra CDs you can get in their gift shop. I'm pretty certain that it's different music from the Boardwalk, sounds much more mellow.

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
Hey guys -- if it helps anyone at all, I once heard rumors that the Grand Floridian music was actually from the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra CDs you can get in their gift shop. I'm pretty certain that it's different music from the Boardwalk, sounds much more mellow.

Just yesterday I was thinking about bringing this thread up again. The Resort Hotels torrent on MB includes the CD you're talking about as the Grand Floridian BGM, but according to Jay, they have big band music. When I was there in 2006 I didn't hear any music, but then again I wasn't looking for it. We guess that the Beach Pool has the Top 40 "new" music, but personally I don't care too much for "normal" music. My guess is that both pools play this Top 40 or something, but the hotel has jazz music.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I once heard rumors that the Grand Floridian music was actually from the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra CDs you can get in their gift shop.

Incorrect. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. :mad:

Pat, the GFSO's leader, did tell me that they once heard songs from one of their CDs playing in a bathroom over in the hotel's convention facility, but that is not what you would hear around the hotel entrance and out on the monorail platform, etc.
The Resort Hotels torrent on MB includes the CD you're talking about as the Grand Floridian BGM

Er, ah, why would MB have a torrent for a commercial and still readily available for purchase CD? :eek:

Shame, shame, shame! :(

spence2015

Just bumping this up again...any more information/history on the Grand Floridian BGM?

Just that I heard it roughly 5 days a week for a year when I worked there. Most people don't notice the loop because it's muted in the lobby after 4pm until 9:45 when the band and pianist do their sets. But it definitely plays in the Porte Cochere and monorail platform. As to its content I can only confirm that it's 1900s through 1940s music, and is NOT the same loop as the Boardwalk and Yacht & Beach Clubs.

Club 33

Playlist Author
Grand Floridian and Contemporary Music?

It occurred to me that while I've seen either recordings, listings, or discussions of music loops from the Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge- not to mention many other WDW hotels of course- I don't recall ever seeing anything relating to music from these two resorts. I'm sure there are some other hotels that haven't been covered (The Swan, where I'll be staying on my trip, comes to mind) but these two sprang quickly to mind.

So...what information have we on these resorts. Do they have music loops at all, and if so do we have any information on it?

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
Grand Floridian and Contemporary Music?

It occurred to me that while I've seen either recordings, listings, or discussions of music loops from the Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge- not to mention many other WDW hotels of course- I don't recall ever seeing anything relating to music from these two resorts. I'm sure there are some other hotels that haven't been covered (The Swan, where I'll be staying on my trip, comes to mind) but these two sprang quickly to mind.

So...what information have we on these resorts. Do they have music loops at all, and if so do we have any information on it?

I'm clueless as to what plays at the Contemporary, but there were numerous discussions a few months back regarding what, if anything, plays at the Grand Floridian. It was thought (including by yours truly, who has had the opportunity to stay at the hotel twice) that no music played at the resort, but as it turns out the lobby music is turned off around four or five o'clock in the afternoon for the piano player in the lobby. However, there is a regular loop that plays there, and at the monorail platform, playing ragtime-esqe music. I believe a playlist was in the works. The pool area plays Top 40 tracks.