EVEN DISNEY STOOPS TO EBAY!

justme

Re:THE EBAY AUCTION

Now that you know the FACTS, may be we all can get off our little soap boxes.

Randy Thornton

And thank you Randy for getting the facts out there. Some people have made a sport out of attacking The Walt Disney Company, totally disregarding the good we do. Hopefully, your reply will put a damper on their fun & games.

Also, thank you for this beautiful set. I've enjoyed listening to it all day. The hard work put into it by you and your partners shines through. Congratulations!

Eric

Re:THE EBAY AUCTION

Whoa, Randy, don't take what people said here personally regarding eBay. As you stated, nowhere does it say on either the auction site or on the eBay "Me" page describing Disney auctions, that it goes to a charity. It's logical to come to the conclusion that it DOESN'T go to a charity based on the fact that in the past, Disney has always stated if something's proceeds go to charity if they are running an auction.

I don't think anybody was even looking at a way to find Disney at fault here. At first glance though, it's easy to come to the conclusion that "hey wait a minute..this is the set they claimed was sold out, and yet they're auctioning it off on ebay for a higher price?! That's a little unfair and greedy with no mention of charity either". I don't think anybody on here justifies bootleg copies either, especially seeing as how many of us have supported each and every park release here..so you're preaching to the choir. What everybody gets tired of eBay is how the price of such a wonderful collectible (as your CD set) gets jacked up to the point of it being unobtainable. I think that's a fair complaint about ebay in general, and that it's reasonable that people came to the conclusion they did when they saw these auctions.

As for "a group of evil geniuses sitting a big room who?s sole job it is to figure out how to cheat and deceive as many people as possible"...I think that's called the marketing department ;) jk

First, I should let you know that the 2 copies of ?A Musical History of Disneyland? (#1 and #50) that are up for auction in Ebay are for CHARITY!!! One?s profits, I know for a fact, are going to a local Pre-School, while the other is going for a special program at a hospital.

Yes, I know it?s not posted on the site as such, but it doesn?t need to be. Why is it OK for others to place BOOTLEG C**p on Ebay who?s proceeds benefit no one (including the artist who created it) but the CRIMINAL who?s auction it is? But when Disney tries to do something that will truly benefit someone, we?re no better than ax murderers. I know you didn?t know it was for charity, but one should get their FACTS straight before assuming that we have a group of evil geniuses sitting a big room who?s sole job it is to figure out how to cheat and deceive as many people as possible.

These sets that are being auctioned are COMPLETE and QUALITY sets!!!

Now that you know the FACTS, may be we all can get off our little soap boxes.

Randy Thornton

Well...see, that's GREAT. I think whoever created the listing missed the boat in not saying they're being auctioned for charities. My perception is that it would actually attract more bidders to the item if they knew the money was going to a good cause. They could get those meaningful box numbers AND feel good spending the extra money knowing it's for charity purposes. I was up on the soapbox under the wrong impression and appreciate being enlightened. I was using my "Jump To Conclusions" mat again and stuck foot in mouth. To their credit, ebay can be good at removing improper material. A musical artist I enjoy has had his management monitoring ebay and ebay's been really good about removing pre-release promo copies from their site as they show up. It's stopping people from being able to make a hundred bucks a pop on something that's been given out free to advertise the album. So artists aren't completely helpless to the slugs out there bootlegging material on ebay.

ispace

I just wish that ALL of Disney's eBay auction proceeds went to charity, but somehow I don't think this is the case. It's not like Disney NEED the money, do they?

B.

Robert Hollowood already made the point I just thought of this morning--so I'll just echo his remarks. Why the charitable intent was not stated in the Walt Disney Company's auction description is peculiar, especially since an auction for charity might prove to be quite appealling to some bidders, potentially even opening the door to some higher than normal bids!

And speaking of the "Walt Disney" Company, that is precisely the reason I become disturbed when something of a dubious nature like this auction occurs. It is still Walt Disney's company, it is Walt who comes into my mind when matters concerning the Walt Disney Company are questioned, more so than imagined evil geniuses or other sordid characters. It is this highest regard I have for Walt Disney's vision that causes me--and others equally concerned--to become so passionately upset when that vision seems just a bit cloudy.

Mike

MickeyNews

Response from Disney Auctions to my inquiry about donating proceeds to charity:

""Dear Disney Auctions Guest,

Thank you for your interest in Disney Auctions.

We have received your email regarding the Disneyland 50th Anniversary Musical
History Box Set #1. When the proceeds from a Disney Auction are to be donated
to a designated charity, the information will be noted in
the item description.

We appreciate your interest and look forward to your next visit to Disney
Auctions. We add hundreds of new items each week, so there are always great new
products direct from The Walt Disney Company.

Sincerely,

David
Disney Auctions"

Interesting...don't you think?

ArnyVee

Over $1,100 for those sets as the closing bids! Wow! #1 over $700 and #50 over $400.

I hope that whichever 'charity' gets that puts it to good use and they don't end up with $12 worth of Pampers or something somewhere.

Hi Guys!

I think it was fair enough that Disney decide to sell these sets at profit, I suppose that's what large companies do.

Ok, When I heard they were donating the proceeds to charity I was thrilled and made more sense for Disney than selling them for profit.

I am now extremely concerened to hear that we may not have been told the truth and that Disney have confirmed that if proceeds were being donated to charity, quite logically it would state on the item description.

Is there anyone who can shed more light on this?

Remember...Dreams Come True

David

PegLegPete

Conspiracy theories florish...

If Randy tells us that it's sold for charity, that's good enough for me: he ought to know. It's sold for charity.

If not, I'm sure he will tell us otherwise. No need to speculate...