Area Music Past and Present

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
I really wouldn't know about that, I have converted my van to run on hydro! I just pump water into the tank, and off I go. I understand that I can get about 3 times the mileage that I would compared to gasoline! I keep chomping at the bit for flying cars to come along, that would make your trip about 35 minutes to Paris. Of course someone could invent the MET transporters, like they used on Star Trek, then we could all have lunch in Paris and be back at work less than an hour later.If only.....Hey, Jay sounds pretty well informed as well, does he work for Disney, or just a fan like you?

No idea but I do know several members are in locations very close to a park so they really can say "I'll pop in tonight and check" whenever they like. Some people have all the luck!

exetor999

I just realized that you said 300 miles from Dover (wow!) You must be on the other side of London, on the coast in Pembrook or something like that! Man, didn't realize how far it was.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
I just realized that you said 300 miles from Dover (wow!) You must be on the other side of London, on the coast in Pembrook or something like that! Man, didn't realize how far it was.

Liverpool.
(Yes, I live a few hundred yards from Paul McC's old house and my older brother went to school with him - although a year below him. He used to cycle past our house. My son went to the same school John went to and the same primary school as George and John. Yoko came there to present some money for a new yard while he was there).
I pre-empted that as when I say where I'm from I usually get asked "did you know the Beatles....." :lol:
And yes, we knew the Cavern - dark and sweaty place and packed like sardines -(now in it's 3rd reincarnation as they pulled the original down, rebuilt it over the road, realised they had destroyed the most famous lace in Liverpool and then pulled that one down and rebuilt it (using original material where possible) on the original site - what a waste of money - why didn't they just leave it alone! Oh, and I worked in the "bank on the corner" in Penny Lane (from the song of the same name) for many years.
Pembroke is in another country, by the way. Wales not England ;) Still part of the United Kingdom, of course.

exetor999

Cool story. Although I'm not a "Beatlemaniac", I do like their songs (who doesn't) and I like the movies about the early years. I can't believe that someone actually tore down the Cavern, that is an iconic building, should have had the queen herself jump in and stop that:) Of course, she wasn't a big Beatles fan either. I heard that she's not a big fan of the "Bond" fiction either, though her son is. Speaking of that, I wanted to ask someone who is a resident. The Prince is always shown in various movies and TV as being sort of a halfwit, like George W. Bush was (he depended greatly on "daddy" and friends for help). I always take stuff like that with a grain of salt, but since you are a resident there, perhaps you would know more about it. Does Charles depend on "mommy" for decisions in his life?

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Cool story. Although I'm not a "Beatlemaniac", I do like their songs (who doesn't) and I like the movies about the early years. I can't believe that someone actually tore down the Cavern, that is an iconic building, should have had the queen herself jump in and stop that:) Of course, she wasn't a big Beatles fan either. I heard that she's not a big fan of the "Bond" fiction either, though her son is. Speaking of that, I wanted to ask someone who is a resident. The Prince is always shown in various movies and TV as being sort of a halfwit, like George W. Bush was (he depended greatly on "daddy" and friends for help). I always take stuff like that with a grain of salt, but since you are a resident there, perhaps you would know more about it. Does Charles depend on "mommy" for decisions in his life?

No, he's actually highly intelligent and an astute businessman but you need to remember the class system in the UK which doesn't really exist in the US.
They are born into a very privileged section of society which has been so for over a thousand years.
If you can imagine those spoiled superstars who make demands like painting their hotel rooms a certain colour well and then imagine what their kids would be like several generations on, never having known anything else. They are rather detached from ordinary people which make them look "different". It's easier (and funnier) to make them appear a little "dim" as that's easier to understand plus the fact that the Queen has been on the throne for a long time and he doesn't get to be king until she passes on.
They spend a lot of their time doing official duties and, of course, most of those fall to the Queen so it always appears that Charles is in her shadow or playing "second fiddle". He isn't and has enough of his own duties to keep him busy along with his charity work and business interests. His Prince's Trust does a lot of good work here.
He is a little "odd" by regular standards in being willing to look at some of the greener issues like organic farming and standing up for traditional values - especially in art and architecture. The Royal family tend not to enter into things like this and are supposed to be neutral in case they influence people.
There are plenty of people in the UK in that class of people (landed gentry with long term wealth) but (and here is the big difference between the UK and the US so I'm led to believe) money actually counts less than family lineage. It's quite possible to be broke and still have the prestige. Would the Boston Smythes still be welcome at social functions if they had no money and were working in a garage? The Duke of so-and-so would be.
Not that I fit into either, of course. ;)

I really do hope that Bush wasn't as stupid as he was portrayed over here. I'm sure it was just that he was a terrible public speaker who kept putting his foot in his mouth. We have politicians who do the same and you wonder why they are allowed out on their own.

exetor999

Well, if you look at Oliver Stone's movie "W", he was actually alot worse than he appeared in real life! But, like I say, you have to take that with a grain of salt. I was thinking of the movie "the Queen", about the royal family and the time surrounding the death of Princess Diana. I really loved Tony Blair as PM, I thought that he was great, if that movie had any truth about it. I had a friend visit England a few years back, and took the "Beatles Tour" and he complained about all the rain, when he got back, and I told him, "well, it's England, isn't it, what did you expect" LOL I think, out of most areas of the planet, the UK would be my first choice to visit. Been thinking, now that I'm getting older, to buy a sail boat and take a slow visit out to Hawaii, and hopefully not get lost, or run over by the QE2, LOL

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Well, if you look at Oliver Stone's movie "W", he was actually alot worse than he appeared in real life! But, like I say, you have to take that with a grain of salt. I was thinking of the movie "the Queen", about the royal family and the time surrounding the death of Princess Diana. I really loved Tony Blair as PM, I thought that he was great, if that movie had any truth about it. I had a friend visit England a few years back, and took the "Beatles Tour" and he complained about all the rain, when he got back, and I told him, "well, it's England, isn't it, what did you expect" LOL I think, out of most areas of the planet, the UK would be my first choice to visit. Been thinking, now that I'm getting older, to buy a sail boat and take a slow visit out to Hawaii, and hopefully not get lost, or run over by the QE2, LOL

Don't forget a visit to DLRP.
The castle is beautiful. As there are so many similar castles in Europe - in real life - they had to do a little more with the one in the park. They used a rather clever illusion with the size of the blocks to make it look taller and more impressive.
Unfortunately they built ToT in front of it (seen from the main highway) which ruins the magic a little as it's the back of ToT you see first when approaching the park. When first built. The castle could be seen for miles and added to the excitement.
They have retained the Disney music loop on the walkways (listing in my blog under walkway) from the parking lot though which really does add to things. Unfortunately there is a gap leaving the walkways through a public area (not owned by Disney as part of their agreements and which causes problems with people selling cheap souvenirs) past the main RER railroad station to the main park gates where nothing plays at all.

exetor999

I cant believe that they would build the tower of terror to block the castle, what a moronic thing to do. From what I know of Europe's castles, there is nothing to distract from them for miles and miles. Friends of mine from Germany were amazed that you can drive for 100's of miles without seeing any castles, of course, the only castle we have around here is the Disneyland one, and a minigolf one out in Santa Monica, LOL

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
I cant believe that they would build the tower of terror to block the castle, what a moronic thing to do. From what I know of Europe's castles, there is nothing to distract from them for miles and miles. Friends of mine from Germany were amazed that you can drive for 100's of miles without seeing any castles, of course, the only castle we have around here is the Disneyland one, and a minigolf one out in Santa Monica, LOL

When first built, DLRP was out in the middle of nowhere - just green fields all around and a new road to reach the park. The castle stood out as the land is flat (in fact, coach trips used to have a "first to spot the castle" competition). Since then they built the Studios Park. That park lies between the Magic Kingdom and the road so you now see the studios in front of the MK so anything there blocks out the view. When you do see the castle, it now looks very small - as it's further away than the ToT.
It is a shame because kids got very excited when they saw the castle (BTM is behind the castle viewed from the road).
I suspect that, when they built the park, they didn't think they would build anything like that. The Studios had such a poor attendance they built the new attraction there and that was the only large area available. There are now a lot of large buildings in the area (warehouses and stuff) as the area has now become very built up - including the new town Val d'Europe - which Disney had to part pay for as part of the agreement with the French government (and which now stops them having high level fireworks). DLRP proved a tricky park with loads of red tape involved but that's Europe for you.

When first built, DLRP was out in the middle of nowhere - just green fields all around and a new road to reach the park. The castle stood out as the land is flat (in fact, coach trips used to have a "first to spot the castle" competition). Since then they built the Studios Park. That park lies between the Magic Kingdom and the road so you now see the studios in front of the MK so anything there blocks out the view. When you do see the castle, it now looks very small - as it's further away than the ToT.
It is a shame because kids got very excited when they saw the castle (BTM is behind the castle viewed from the road).

Interesting... used to be all about "spotting the Matterhorn first" for Anaheim's Disneyland. Nowadays, the buildings around the freeway and Disneyland itself block a lot of the views... and the thick growth of trees around Disneyland block most of the other icons. With DCA being built in the parking lot (and with the old Grand Hotel being a distant memory, which used to block views of the old lot from the freeway), Tower of Terror is one of the first landmarks you can see at our park too. They didn't think to sink that attraction into the ground, as they had for Space Mountain.

exetor999

And I thought that WDW was built on such a wide area of land, so they wouldn't have to do that. You have to admit that Disneyland itself is so small, you can't help but jam everything in. They should start spreading things out, and build downward, like they did with the mansion and pirates rides. They could get alot of space out of Disneyland by doing that. :)

And I thought that WDW was built on such a wide area of land, so they wouldn't have to do that. You have to admit that Disneyland itself is so small, you can't help but jam everything in. They should start spreading things out, and build downward, like they did with the mansion and pirates rides. They could get alot of space out of Disneyland by doing that. :)

Pirates and Mansion both are actually built at ground level. New Orleans Square itself was built on a rise, so that the entrance to both attractions (and most of the land itself) is technically on the second story.

The issue with the "impressive first view" though isn't entirely due to the placement of things on property... it's just that Anaheim has grown up so much around it.

exetor999

someone on another board, i think doombuggies, had said that both the mansion and priates should have had their own land like toontown, where you go under the train tracks. I thought that would have been a good idea, with a whole pirates land, and haunted mansion land. :) Both rides would be underground, and you have a area themed for that ride.