Archived Disney music IS coming to itunes !!!

The Trout

Wait, they're releasing an album called "The Music Behind The Magic?" Does anyone else smell widespread confusion coming on? Well, maybe not WIDESPREAD... but still, that's just a tad on the annoying side.

will

I was expecting news like this - first Disney closed down the music kiosks, Randy mentions a new form of distribution, Apple releases Disney movies on iTunes - - only seems like the next logical step for Disney to release Wonderland titles on iTunes.

Hopefully, they will spring open the vault and release more music via this platform - both officially released titles and titles that have yet to see the light of the digital era, including:

James Horner's SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES
James Horner's THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN
John Barry's THE BLACK HOLE
Ron Grainer's THE MOON-SPINNERS
Maurice Jarre's THE ISLAND AT THE TOP OF THE WORLD
Elmer Bernstein's THE BLACK CAULDRON (complete)
Paul J. Smith's 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA
Bob Brunner's THAT DARN CAT
Paul J. Smith's MUSIC FROM DISNEY'S TRUE LIFE ADVENTURES
John Debney's HOCUS POCUS (official release)
SONG OF THE SOUTH
THE THREE CABALLEROS/SALUDOS AMIGOS
MAKE MINE MUSIC
(so I can replace my "hand-mades")

Plus expanded versions of:
THE HAPPIEST MILLIONAIRE
BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS
PETE'S DRAGON
(again to replace my "hand-mades")

and
THE ARISTOCATS (US release of the soundtrack released in France by Disney/Pickwick Records)
SHIPWRECKED (rerelease)
SPLASH! (official release)

Dirk

Well, that is great news for all US-fans who want inferior quality releases with severely restricted rights.

All I can say is: go ahead, spend your money on this and thus make sure that the number of high-quality CD-releases without right restrictions for the material you are interested in go down. Be my guest.

I, on the other hand, see myself finally having more money to spend on my non-Disney soundtrack collection - there is some great stuff out there from LaLaLand Records, Varese Sarabande, Sony Classical, ... speaking of that: if you enjoy great instrumental scores with power you should check out "Autumn Thunder", a 10 CD-colelction with music from 40 years of NFL films ... really great material - and no artificially reduced quality or DRM!!

Dirk

Club 33

Playlist Author
Great! It does seem to me that theme park music will be part of this collection; Theme Park music was mentioned in the release and was also part of the Wonderland Music System.

Either way, its certainly paving the way for future releases.

I can't wait for November 7! It will be great to see what they will release, as well as what new releases may come of it.

will

"Well, that is great news for all US-fans who want inferior quality releases with severely restricted rights.

All I can say is: go ahead, spend your money on this and thus make sure that the number of high-quality CD-releases without right restrictions for the material you are interested in go down. Be my guest."

Sorry, but I guess I'd rather have inferior quality releases with severly restricted rights then no releases at all.

All the music I have downloaded from iTunes so far, I have been able to burn to CDs for home, car, work, etc. - they may not be studio quality, but neither are my LP - to - MD - to - CD copies either, but I get to enjoy them wherever I want to. And, again, if I had to choose, I'd pick something over nothing anyday.

"Walt Disney Records' The Archive Collection is a special iTunes digital-only release featuring 50 unique WDR recordings from a wide range of artists including, Cliff Edwards (voice of Jiminy Cricket), Mary Martin, Hayley Mills, Burl Ives, Louis Prima, Maurice Chevalier, Louis Armstrong, Little Richard, Peter Frampton, They Might Be Giants,

The Cheetah Girls

and many more. The Archive Collection will be available on iTunes beginning November 7. "

Why the heck are the Cheetah girls in the archive collection?

schnebs

Because years from now, nobody but us will remember that they recorded for Disney either. ;)

narkspud

I'll get interested in buying tracks online right around the time that they get interested in offering them to me in lossless CD quality. Not one moment before.

So there. :p

will

Maybe I am missing something here -

Since they are shuttering the WONDERLAND MUSIC SYSTEM and the tunes on them will no longer be available, but they are releasing them on iTunes, some guests here would rather forego getting music that will only be available via this route because of "music lossless" due to downloading then have this music available at all?

To me, I am just happy that DISNEY is making these titles available to wider audience (those that can't always get down to the park on a regular basis) and hopefully swing the vault door open wider to get more music if it takes off.

I, for one, am looking forward to this venture so I can get the titles I have alway wante (since I can't be at a DISNEY park every other day).

Atleast I can update my DISNEY catalogue, lossless or not, at least I will still have them.

All I can say, is that Randy will provide us with some great titles, in additon to the WONDERLAND titles, but some really cool titles that haven't seen the light of the digial age yet - but more soundtracks that storybooks.

just my two-cents.

Maybe I am missing something here -

Since they are shuttering the WONDERLAND MUSIC SYSTEM and the tunes on them will no longer be available, but they are releasing them on iTunes, some guests here would rather forego getting music that will only be available via this route because of "music lossless" due to downloading then have this music available at all?

To me, I am just happy that DISNEY is making these titles available to wider audience (those that can't always get down to the park on a regular basis) and hopefully swing the vault door open wider to get more music if it takes off.

I, for one, am looking forward to this venture so I can get the titles I have alway wante (since I can't be at a DISNEY park every other day).

Atleast I can update my DISNEY catalogue, lossless or not, at least I will still have them.

All I can say, is that Randy will provide us with some great titles, in additon to the WONDERLAND titles, but some really cool titles that haven't seen the light of the digial age yet - but more soundtracks that storybooks.

just my two-cents.

I agree that something is better then nothing. I am not going to complain about sound quality until I actually hear it.

BLM07

Re:Archived Disney music

I've been using mp3s for the past 7 or 8 years, and it is such a old technology. With huge hard drives and huge bandwith it is not such a big deal to distribute lossless audio.

I'd be willing to pay for lossless audio if it was something I wanted, I don't know if I'd pay for lossy audio, even if the quality is good. I won't touch itunes, I hate installing more players and how it adds "encoded by itunes" to every mp3 it touches. I'm personally am not as desperate for music as I used to be, but for many people, itunes is fine.

A simple website that sold FLAC audio would be great, just look at Greatful Dead's store - http://gdstore.com/ FLAC downloads for a price. I remember Randy Thorton saying that they didn't want to put extra protection on the DL 50th CDs so he could put more quality into it, isn't this the same thing?

dalvarad

Has any additional information come out on this? It looks like the tracks are going to be released in the next week....

I'm glad that this music is being released...not thrilled about the DRM with Itunes but I'm happy about the availability nonetheless. In regards to the lossless issue, I really can't tell the difference....

Hopefully some additional titles besides the Wonderland Music Store titles will be added...

Mabey Randy will finally post when this system is up and running next week and finally give us someinfo on what the heck is going on with the DL OA and answer some of our questions in-regards to the WDW OA...

swarlock

I hope Itunes isn't the only way to buy these albums. I've heard some horror stories from users who installed it on WinXP machines. (Which I own) :(

It makes me hesistant to install it.

I hope Itunes isn't the only way to buy these albums. I've heard some horror stories from users who installed it on WinXP machines. (Which I own) :(

It makes me hesistant to install it.

I have used Itunes on winxp machine ever since they came out with a windows version to buy songs. I have never had any issues with it

MusicMoose

Swarlock, I've also been using iTunes with Windows XP (for nearly a year now), bought hundreds of songs and have never had a problem with it. It's user-friendly, functions great, and the store itself is incredibly fun to browse through.