WONDERLAND MUSIC STORE

Hiya, Y'all!

It is true that The Wonderland Music System will be closing within the next few months. But that does not, in any way, mean that we have stopped the reissue of our old albums. Quite the contrary!!! We are continuing the digital migration and restoration of these ?old friends? even as I write this. Soon, we will be able to offer you loyal folks these and many, many more titles in a way that everyone everywhere will have easy access to them. ;D

November 2006 (and the weeks pervious) will be quite significant. I?ll be posting updates as the time draws near.

Randy Thornton

The Trout

If it goes all digital, then I hope we can still score some lossless copies anyway - think the mouse would spring for some FLACs, Randy?

Dirk

Sounds great ...

... but please: if it is a digital distribution system: loseless is the way to go. The unavoidable DRM is bad enough, but the quality should not be cut unnecessary.

Also "in a way that everyone everywhere will have easy access to them" sounds good - but just as a precaution I want to point out: while international fans can shop for CDs at the Wonderland locations when on-site or through specialized online-shops, international customers can NOT shop at the iTunes store of the US, but only at the iTunes-store for their country (which also means "nowhere" if there isn't a shop for their country). So Disney would decide to offer the product through iTunes they would need to sign up the different iTunes stores around the world. Somehow my feeling tells me this isn't gonna happen, afterall Disney did not even bother to sell their first Yearbook to customers outside the US ... well, well, well

Yours
Dirk

Rich T

Thanks, Randy! The moment the music appears on iTunes (or any other online store), I'll be there! Sounds like the 2006 holiday season could be a very happy one!

Regarding older recordings and iTunes sound quality:

I know you'll be providing the best-sounding versions of these recordings that have ever been available. Considering that I originally listened to many of these LPs on my sister's Beatles record player after dropping Lincoln Logs on them and using their covers for Tonka Truck jump ramps, I'm sure they'll sound much better than the way I originally experienced them. In other words, iTunes compression doesn't bother me much. :)

Thanks for all the great music you've made available!

- Rich

That is sad news that the Wonderland Music Store is closing down in a few months, but let's keep the reissues. By the way, Randy Thornton has been a successful restoration producer along with his friend Ted Krysco out at Walt Disney Records. I have all the CD's featuring soundtrack from Disney animated films since it has been released for 10 years, "Bambi", "Cinderella", "Dumbo", "Lady and the Tramp" and others along with vinyl. I have lots of vinyl in my Disney collection featuring the famous Disneyland record label from 50 years ago. I have the book "Mouse Tracks" featuring the history of the label that started it all, from Disneyland, Buena Vista to Walt Disney Records. Disneyland was a label runned by Walt Disney along with music director the late Tutti Camarata, he was the king of the label and the orchestra where he made his landmark album "Tutti's Trumpets" in around 1956 or 1957 on Disneyland as well as reissues on different labels like the ones I have was on the Time Records which was not a Disney label. Tutti was the man who made the label a tremendous success. I won't give up on Disney music, so I'll have to buy those at Best Buy, FYE, Target, Wal-Mart and others. If there is any vinyl from the Disneyland days, try Ebay or Craigslist or maybe I should go every flea market, thirft store or anywhere else that I can find a Disney LP that is so rare. If I could buy it, it's going to be a collectable forever.

FRAN?OIS

Somehow my feeling tells me this isn't gonna happen, afterall Disney did not even bother to sell their first Yearbook to customers outside the US ... well, well, well

Yours
Dirk

I'm with you on that!

I even posted a remark about it on jimhillmedia.com which ended up being DELETED!! I guess "Disney being an international trust" must have been a tabou expression!

I guess some of us should live without the Yearbook or wait for Ebay to offer copies at a ridiculous high price which I'd never pay!
Bring back Disney magazine!!

As for the Wonderland series, I think we should wait for Randy to give us more details; after all, he says that EVERYONE should be able to get the new and old releases!

Never in my lifetime did I expect those "old" Lps to be available again and with such a great sound quality! So....

Cheers!

FRAN?OIS

That is sad news that the Wonderland Music Store is closing down in a few months, but let's keep the reissues. By the way, Randy Thornton has been a successful restoration producer along with his friend Ted Krysco out at Walt Disney Records. I have all the CD's featuring soundtrack from Disney animated films since it has been released for 10 years, "Bambi", "Cinderella", "Dumbo", "Lady and the Tramp" and others along with vinyl. I have lots of vinyl in my Disney collection featuring the famous Disneyland record label from 50 years ago. I have the book "Mouse Tracks" featuring the history of the label that started it all, from Disneyland, Buena Vista to Walt Disney Records. Disneyland was a label runned by Walt Disney along with music director the late Tutti Camarata, he was the king of the label and the orchestra where he made his landmark album "Tutti's Trumpets" in around 1956 or 1957 on Disneyland as well as reissues on different labels like the ones I have was on the Time Records which was not a Disney label. Tutti was the man who made the label a tremendous success. I won't give up on Disney music, so I'll have to buy those at Best Buy, FYE, Target, Wal-Mart and others. If there is any vinyl from the Disneyland days, try Ebay or Craigslist or maybe I should go every flea market, thirft store or anywhere else that I can find a Disney LP that is so rare. If I could buy it, it's going to be a collectable forever.

What is it you do NOT have? Just kidding!

Well.... I ordered "my" hardbound copy of MOUSE TRACKS from Amazon at the beginning of May and I'm STILL waiting for it!

As you'd say in the US of A; that sucks!!

Will I ever get that book?
Well.... stay tuned!! :D

(The life of a Disney fan can be such a torment!! ;)

Andre

afterall Disney did not even bother to sell their first Yearbook to customers outside the US ... well, well, well

That's really buuggd me too. Even as a CM here in the UK, I can't order a charter copy at the special rate that the company keeps advertising to me via our Disney Cast Portal! That may change next year, but that'll be a bit late won't it?

It's a bit the same as when Box Iger announced the Year of a Million Dreams with lots of words about "worldwide theme park success" and "global visitors", and then when you try to enter the sweepstake competition, it's US-only (although to be fair, I can't enter anyway as I work for the company)

Andre

Yay! Thanks for the update, Randy! I can't wait to see what unfolds (and what will be available).

...and I dearly hope this means the classic TV episode library as well as music!

will

Any updates or news?

I guess I should make a road-trip to
Orlando to pick up as many Wonderland CDs as I can, and dump them on eBay for some extra cash.

Found this part of article about the EMP exhibit interesting as it relates to this topic-

Over the years WDR has helped preserve Disney's rich musical history by re-mastering many of its classic soundtracks. In celebration of the 50th anniversary, the label has begun the preservation and restoration of its earliest classic recordings. These vintage masters will be digitally transferred and restored in an effort to keep the legacy and musical spirit of Disney alive for future generations. Select titles will be available for the first time on digital format beginning this fall

Ken

Horizons Fan

Pardon my ignorance ??? but...
Is the Wonderland Music Store the same one that sells CDs in WDW MK at what used to be the theatre at Main Street, U.S.A.?

Thanks!
-Horizons Fan

swarlock

Thanks Randy for the news. I was at Disney World yesterday at The Magic Kingdom and wanted to get The Country Bear Jamboree from the kiosk but the cashier told me the machines were taken away and that bummed me out.

I had hoped to see more reissues in the future and this is the best news I've heard all month. :)

Thank you.

swarlock

Pardon my ignorance ??? but...
Is the Wonderland Music Store the same one that sells CDs in WDW MK at what used to be the theatre at Main Street, U.S.A.?

Thanks!
-Horizons Fan

It did until last week. My last purchase was The Tinpanorama album.

As of this very moment, the store at Main Street Cinema at WDW Magic Kingdom has the ability to burn Wonderland CDs but not the album art. That means you'll be paying 16.95 for a nicely-labeled CD in a blank jewel case. Hopefully that might change, but I couldn't say. The store still has the video screen with the various titles for selection.

Once Upon A Toy at Downtown Disney Marketplace no longer has the video screen, and they have a very limited amount of leftover discs left, which I'm told are the last they will sell. As of two weeks ago, they had a few copies of Alice, America Sings, the Jiminy Cricket math LP's and a few more. They may be gone by now, but I couldn't say.

The important thing to remember about what Randy is doing is that he is restoring the original masters so they continue to EXIST, regardless of what current reproduction it takes to buy them. That technology changes all the time. Who knows how we'll be able to enjoy them in the future? I'm sure I can't predict how music will be sold in the coming decades, but at least these great recordings will be digitally restored and ready for whatever medium can support them. And for that, Randy's contributions to this legacy cannot be underestimated.

A special note to Francois, and anyone else who was gracious enough to purchase the hardcover version of MOUSE TRACKS. The hardcover edition, which is really nice, does not have a dust jacket with the nifty retro illustration (though there's a black and white photo of it on page 42).

As a thank you to those of you who shelled out the extra money to buy the hardcover edition, we have printed self-adhesive bookplates with a reproduction of the cover art. Tim and I will send one to you free if you contact us.

Sorry I can't do anything about the slow postal system, though, Francois. You may want to contact customer service at the place where you ordered it.

swarlock

Yesterday I was told the machine was taken away yet the monitor screen is still in The Main St Cinema Gift Shop here in Florida.

I purchased four reissues in the last four months. Two last month during my weekend visit for my birthday.