Wilderness Lodge Background Music

timothym

OK. Bela Fleck got no response. Let's try this:
There appears to be a problem with the list of tracks supposedly being played at the Wilderness Lodge. I realize that what is generally being posted is simply what Guest Services provided but still . . .

For example, there is no track entitled "Wild Ride" in "The Magnificent Seven"; there is no track "Walk to the Bunkhouse" in Mark Isham's "Of Mice and Men"; and Grofe never wrote anything called "Grand Panorama".

Aaron Copland wrote "Walk to the Bunkhouse" for "The Red Pony" and this is heard at the WL. Mark Isham wrote "The Wild Ride" for "A River Runs Through It." And nobody wrote anything called "Grand Panorama."

I seriously doubt that the Carpenter's "Top of the World" has ever been heard there (others have already indicated they think this is from "Last of the Mohicans"). Bill Frisell does an inspired version of Copland's "Billy the Kid Suite" but "Prairie Night" is not the track that would be played. And I like the Joe Roccisano Orchestra but I also doubt that "Earth Day" plays there either (how about John Williams' "Theme for Earth Day"?). And as for Max Steiner's "Dodge City", I don't think so.

I realize that this was all hashed over several years ago but it's all new to me. Comments welcome.

Finally, to end this on a more positive note, I came across a 30 second sample of "Siyo Tanka" which I would be happy to share with anyone interested in hearing what this elusive piece sounds like.

sds910

All I can help with is this:

1) The "Field Of Dreams" excerpt used at WL is most likely "The Timeless Street" from the soundtrack album.

2) One of the same tracks found on the IllumiNations Preshow BGM loop is also played at the Lodge: "Appalachian Morning" by John Williams and The Boston Pops from the CD "The Green Album".

I'd like to see the Wilderness Lodge BGM properly reconstructed as much as the next guy, but until such time as some enterprising soul comes home from his (or her) vacation with a live recording of the thing that can be used as a reference, we're SOL. Mind you, if such a live recording is already making the rounds, then someone who has it should give me a shout and we'll have the whole shebang sewn up faster than you can say "por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas"...

Steve

timothym

A live recording would be most helpful but I have heard that because of the noise level in the Lodge no one has found a good spot to get this. So what everyone works with is a typed list provided by Guest Services. I have annotated my copy.

The John Williams' Green Album is also used inside the WL. It's the "Theme for Earth Day" track. Obviously Imagineering uses what it has.

=======================================
These are my annotations on part of the list provided by the front desk of Disney's Wilderness Lodge:

Artist(s) Film/Album Year Song Title

? The Wild Ride 1960 The Wild Ride
*Other lists add the title "Land with Wonder" which is a corruption of "Land Filled with Wonder". Both of these tracks are from Mark Isham's soundtrack for "A River Runs Through It."
. . .
? The Way West 1995 Creation
*This is usually credited to Brian Keane but this selection is actually by Douglas Spotted Eagle. He also wrote for the love flute and wrote and wrote and recorded his own "Siyo Tanka": "Siyotanka Boy"
. . .
Bill Frisell Have a little faith 1992 Prairie Nights
*This appears on all the lists, but I cannot believe it ever played at the Wilderness Lodge. Frisell's version of any other part of the "Billy the Kid Suite" might work, but this selection is just so wrong.
. . .
Ferde Grofe Grand Canyon Suite 1933 Grand Panorama
*There is no such piece. The five parts of the Grand Canyon Suite are: Sunrise, Painted Desert, On the Trail, Sunset, and Cloudburst. Pick one. "On the Trail" is already included.
. . .
Joe Roccisano The Shape I'm In 1933 Earth Day
*1933 is simply a slip for 1993 but I'm sure Roccisano's piece never played at the Wilderness Lodge. The actual piece is probably John Williams' "Theme for Earth Day" from "The Green Album"
. . .
Mark Isham Of Mice and Men 1992 Bunkhouse
*Isham has the two from "A River Runs Through It." This is definitely Copland's "Walk to the Bunkhouse" from "The Red Pony".

sds910

Timothy:

Noise level, schmoise level... ;D

The problem is that those who might be meandering around the lobby with a recorder are thinking in terms of audio quality, which we don't really care about. What we need is something we can listen to over and over again and dissect. *Any* audio will do as long as the music can be heard. Couples arguing, babies crying, kids yelling...? Doesn't matter. Bring it on.

S.

timothym

Steve,
Of course, you are correct. The lists are only good for so much. No amount of analysis will make sense out of non-existent works (Grand Panorama) or strange ones (Prairie Nights). Only by listening to the actual loop can we know for sure.

I found two massive downloads that claimed to be the loops but they turned out to be re-creations from the lists going around.

So we have to convince someone to take on the terrible burden of going to Walt Disney World and spending a few hours at the Wilderness Lodge! (and recording and digitizing and sharing the results)

Dirk

Hey there, Hi there, Ho there,

I know that this is a shot into the darkness but the entry of "Ferde Grofe Grand Canyon Suite 1933 Grand Panorama" in the list made me wonder: a part of the suite is played on the railroad when it passes through the Grand Canyon Diorama, could it be that they are using this recording in the loop too??

I do know that when I visited the lobby a bit more than 1 1/2 years ago I did thought that the music I heared at one point was very similar to that heared during the Grand Canyon Diorama but then another recording of the suite would create the same effect of being reminded...

Yours
Dirk

lee81

Hey guys...

I was searching through the archives and came across this thread. Has there been any progress on this little project? Has a live (or, dare I say it, master) recording surfaced?

Thanks!

lee81

I'm headed down there in November. If no one does so before then, I'll take it upon myself to make a recording.

Question- Could the entire loop be recorded using the induction method that's been discussed on this board?

L

sds910

if you could find a speaker in an unobtrusive location where you could hang around for an hour or so, sure... but I'm not certain such a location exists... perhaps out by the bus stops...

Steve

Horizons

Playlist Author
So, has an accurate reconstruction of the loop surfaced since 2004? By the way, the new BGM that plays by the pool is horrible. I haven't confirmed whether the lobby music has changed or not (let's hope it hasn't).

Horizons

Playlist Author
I spent an hour at the lodge this afternoon. Someone finally come to their senses and replaced the horrible pool area BGM (yes, BGM not "Area Music") that was playing around Thanksgiving, which is the last time I made the rounds over there. I am not certain, but I believe the pool area BGM is different than the lobby BGM.

The good news is that there are plenty of accessible speakers playing the lobby BGM and the pool BGM (assuming both are different). I need to plan my next visit when it's not during peak times at the pool, in order to get close to one of the speakers. Note, the same BGM plays both at the resort and at the Villas.

Maybe now we can finally get a correct reconstruction of the loop (although I don't know how many variations have played over the years).

Horizons

Playlist Author
pool area BGM (yes, BGM not "Area Music") ... I believe the pool area BGM is different

LOL. It's not "area music" to you, but you choose to call it by that anyway, and with first-word billing! ::) :p

Well, I used the term so you could understand what I was taking about. I figured just using "BGM" would throw you off... :p