What Music Do You Listen To?

Horizons

Playlist Author
Regarding the Lord of the Rings scores, I suggest everyone go out and purchase the complete recordings. These scores are just incredible.
I cannot stop listening to these scores. This is the best music I've ever heard. In fact, I picked up the book "The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films" by Doug Adams, as well as the PDF annotated scores for each of the films, just to learn more about the music. Hats off to Howard Shore.

monorail91

Apart from Disney-related music, I listen to a great deal of No Doubt and Green Day. (I was a Beauty and the Beast - era baby!) I also have recently gotten into Lady Gaga.

David S.

When I'm not listening to music from the Disney parks, there's a good chance I'm listening to music/soundtracks from the Disney Films, particularly the Animated Classics.

Anything and everything from the Snow White/Pinocchio/Dumbo era to the later Classics like Cinderella, Alice, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, to the 60's Sherman-era Classics like Jungle Book, Mary Poppins, Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, to the 70's and then the 80's/90's New Renaissance (ie the Menken-era films) and beyond. I enjoy a lot of the really new titles as well, such as Princess and the Frog, Winnie the Pooh, and Frozen. I also LOVE the music from the underrated 40's "package films" - especially Three Caballeros and Saludos Amigos - and wish they had official CD soundtracks.

Some favorite non-Disney instrumental film scores range from ET by John Williams, Cinema Paradiso by Ennio Morricone, Lord of the Rings by Howard Shore, and Out of Africa by John Barry.

My favorite non-Disney film musicals include Sound of Music by Rodgers and Hammerstein, My Fair Lady by Lerner/Lowe, Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Webber, A Christmas Carol by Alan Menken, and Scrooge and Willy Wonka by Leslie Bricusse. And of course The Wizard of Oz!

I'm a big fan of Christmas music in general. Anything from the novelty/cute stuff like the Chipmunks and the Jingle Cats and Jingle Dogs to the Rankin/Bass animated tv soundtracks to the more traditional Bing Crosby type stuff. And the Polar Express soundtrack. And "Christmas Canon" by TSO. And the "Music Box Christmas" CD excerpted on Main Street...

I do also listen to a wide variety of pop music. My favorite artists/bands are too numerous too mention, but 3 seem to get more play than the rest, and those are the Beatles, Wings, and the completely unrelated but totally sublime Cocteau Twins.

Last edited:

albertawol

I also LOVE the music from the underrated 40's "package films" - especially Three Caballeros and Saludos Amigos - and wish they had official CD soundtracks.
I also adore the music from Saludos Amigos! A soundtrack is available to purchase from iTunes, Amazon MP3, and 7Digital. Not all of the songs are the film versions, however. The title theme and "Tico-Tico No Fubá," as well as "Aquarela do Brasil" and its reprise, are notable examples. (I do have mp3 tracks of the film versions of those songs; message me if you're interested in those.) That being said, the versions of the songs that are included on the soundtrack release are beautiful.

albertawol

In addition to my Disney parks music collection (of which, the Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios area loops are my favorite to listen to, at the moment) I have a rather eclectic (read: weird) taste that is all over the place.

Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby are my first musical loves, and they will always take first place in my non-Disney musical preferences. I'm still waiting for the day when a remastered collection of Bing Crosby's studio albums will be released.

I also love Irish music. The Gloaming is probably my favorite group, followed by The Chieftains, Colcannon, and The Dubliners, in that order. The CDs that have been sold by Raglan Road over the years are terrific. I have Raglan Road: The Music (2013), In Full Swing: Swingin' on the Gate (2017), and The Life and Soul of Ireland (2020) in my collection. (Please let me know if you're aware of any others!) I supplied our wedding DJ with the dinnertime playlist for our reception and included all of The Gloaming's upbeat tracks. None of our guests had ever heard them before, but I got so many compliments on the playlist! If you aren't aware of them, I highly recommend you check them out.

I also really enjoy a lot of indie folk, including Of Monsters and Men's first two albums, The Oh Hellos, and the Keston Cobbler's Club.

Besides the above, here's what else I've been listening to lately: some video game soundtracks (specifically Stardew Valley and Zelda: The Wind Waker), John Lunn's Downton Abbey scores, and the Christian artist Taya's self-titled debut album.