WDW's MILE LONG BAR

can anyone tell me what exactly Max Buff and Melvin were sings as guests exited Grizzy Hall and into the Mile Long Bar??..........I know the lyrics were sync'd to "Come Again". I recall them lookinh around or winking to guests in line for food.........but this must have been after Pepsi no longer sponsered Mile Long Bar and Bear Band.

DL FLIGHT 295
aka
DC-88 SPACELINER

X-S Tech

Well Howdy come on in and set a spell
We're glad to have you more than (unintelligable- probably "words") can tell

That's all I was able to make out from my live recording from a few years back. They actually chatted a bit before breaking into song.

Did the ones at Disneyland ever sing, or move? I remember being told that they did, and therefore believing that they did, though I don't ever remember seeing it for myself. I didn't ever make it to WDW till after DL's Mile Long Bar was pretty defunct so I know I'm not mixing the 2 experiences up.

Disneyland's Max, Buff, and Melvin at the Mile Long Bar did move and wink....but did not talk or sing....a new ventilation system was installed after the health department shut the GOLDEN BEAR LODGE down (it reopened as THE HUNGRY BEAR) when both MILE LONG BAR & HUNGRY BEAR reopend, MAX, BUFF, MELVIN were just static trophy heads......i assume because their animation systems were displaced by the new venting.

DL FLIGHT 295
aka
DC-SPACELINER

Disneyland's Max, Buff, and Melvin at the Mile Long Bar did move and wink....but did not talk or sing....a new ventilation system was installed after the health department shut the GOLDEN BEAR LODGE down (it reopened as THE HUNGRY BEAR) when both MILE LONG BAR & HUNGRY BEAR reopend, MAX, BUFF, MELVIN were just static trophy heads......i assume because their animation systems were displaced by the new venting.
I remember things a bit differently.

I have Super 8mm home movies shot in DL's (tiny) MLB the month Bear Country opened and the trophy heads aren't animated. I don't remember them ever moving... and when I physically investigated the figures in '74 or so (as an employee) they contained no mechanisms and there was nothing in the walls that might have indicated movement was ever possible.

Around that time, I became acquainted with the fellow who was the main MLB lead from opening day (until he quit in '78) and he advised that the trophy heads were never animated.

As you know, the Golden/Hungry Bear isn't located anywhere near the MLB and I don't recall the "bar" being closed during the restaurant rehab.

I do, however, remember many janitorial and foods employees being pleased that they were no longer required to wear the heavy Bear Country boots and hats after the Golden Bear rehab. (For a while employees could *choose* to wear the full regalia... but few did especially as the boots slipped like hell in the rain on the ramp leading up to the restaurant.)

Then again, what do I know?

The Mile Ling Bar & Golden Bear location BOTH had new ventilations sysytems added.new seperate locations......and I was e-mailed this weekend some documents regarding the trophy heads...they were designed for "winking" motions, but no head movements......the budget ran out to carry this and many other ideas trough after the decission to build Twin- theaters in Bear Country. This info came from Ken Kerr.....who was in charge of figure-finishing at WED/Disneyland at the time.......the venting changes to the newly built Bear Country food facilities took place just months after the land opened.....long before 1974.

DL FLIGHT 295
aka
DC-88 SPACELINER

........also the BEAR COUNTRY press info mentions that Max Buff and Melvin wink and blink to each other abouve guests heads over at the Mile Long Bar.......this info too probably feed-the-fire to people who thought the heads did move. Does anyone know if Pepsi-Frito Lay sponsored the Disneyland show too?.....I seem to only have info on Wonderbread.

DL FLIGHT 295
aka
DC-88 SPACELINER

Disneyland's Mile Long Bar

The Mile Ling Bar & Golden Bear location BOTH had new ventilations sysytems added.new seperate locations......and I was e-mailed this weekend some documents regarding the trophy heads...they were designed for "winking" motions, but no head movements......the budget ran out to carry this and many other ideas trough after the decission to build Twin- theaters in Bear Country. This info came from Ken Kerr.....who was in charge of figure-finishing at WED/Disneyland at the time.......the venting changes to the newly built Bear Country food facilities took place just months after the land opened.....long before 1974.
There were pre-opening PR pieces in both the LA Herald Examiner and LA Times which mentioned that the MLB figures periodically winked, etc.

Well, they didn't.

My friends and I spent hours in the MLB staring at the darn things before deciding that the trophy heads were static. (Which, of course, is what the foods employees had been trying to tell us all along.)

When I had the opportunity to *really* examine the figures on Monday/Tuesday winter shifts (the park was closed then) in '74, I found that they contained no mechanic devices and had no power routed up the wall behind them.

I later found out from Blaine Gibson that they were indeed supposed to have some kind of limited movement... but it didn't happen. Thanks for letting us know why.
........also the BEAR COUNTRY press info mentions that Max Buff and Melvin wink and blink to each other abouve guests heads over at the Mile Long Bar.......this info too probably feed-the-fire to people who thought the heads did move.
Well, I'm sure that's were the LA papers got the idea in the first place.

Anyway, apparently we both now agree that Disneyland's MLB figures never moved... which was all I was trying to say in the first place.

Yeah........those heads didn't even seem to have any kind of seperation in the eye area...for like lid movements. I wonder in the Max Buff and Melvin inside the Pooh attraction uses the animated heads or the static "bar" heads.........back in October there was a set of 3 (animated ones) outside laying on the asphalt along the warehouse struction of the "head" shop..the current figure finishing location at Disneyland..........why these would be left outside is beyond understandable...........the open area next to this building also holds several coral/animation forms from Sub Voyage.with the rotting remains of two giant battling lobsters and the remains if a mermaid holdind a broken off mirror.........these were a handfull of other remains........some kind oh Jungle Cruise animals with no shells or skins....sad stuff.

DL FLIGHT 295
aka
DC-88 SPACELINER

X-S Tech

Supposedly the Pooh ride uses the static figures. The other set (motion capable) are still sitting out there on the asphalt behind the park.

SharonKurland

Ah...so the mystery of 1313 continues...

He/she is a medical wizard.
He/she had access to the bowels of Max et al, in the mid-1970's.

And you thought it was a coincidence...

-Haron-

X-S Tech

It makes sense that WDI would have recorded seasonally appropriate things for these guys to sing. We just don't think of it out here in CA. I wonder if there was a Christmas version?

Does Tokyo have a set of heads besides in the theatres?

Wow!...so there were "Mile Long Bar" exit/enter songs for all 3 shows!!.......more to put on the want list!

DL FLIGHT 295
aka
DC-88 SPACELINER

TDLFAN

OMG!!! I used to work in that bar (and Pecos Bill Cafe) back in the early 80's and never cared to pay attention to that little show the moose and other heads put on as guests exited the CBJ. God knows I hear those heads singing like 100 times a day?!?! ::)

can anyone tell me what exactly Max Buff and Melvin were sings as guests exited Grizzy Hall and into the Mile Long Bar??..........I know the lyrics were sync'd to "Come Again". I recall them lookinh around or winking to guests in line for food.........but this must have been after Pepsi no longer sponsered Mile Long Bar and Bear Band.

well what they were saying depended on what show was playing.

DL FLIGHT 295
aka
DC-88 SPACELINER