Theme Park Soundtrack / High Fidelity??

b52hbuff

I agree with everyone about the great job Randy did when putting together the Musical History of Disneyland.

It got me to wondering just how much 'fidelity' there is in the base tracks? Does anyone know the frequency range for the audio tracks used in the theme park audio?

narkspud

They'd be the same as any other recordings of the period, with the caveat that if the original masters don't exist anymore or are damaged, then you have to take whatever tapes you still have on hand, with the generation loss that entails.

Some certainly do sound better than others. I've often wondered what they were thinking when they compressed and EQd all the "Pirates" tracks so harshly. Maybe they were compensating for the speaker technology of the time?

I've only gotten a chance to give a close listen to disc 1 so far. I am impressed overall. I heard one minor mix mistake in the Tiki Room (which I'll keep to myself, since you'd probably never notice it without headphones anyway). Otherwise, everything sounds fabulous given the obvious limitations of the source material. The care Randy and company have put into it really shows.

There's digital stereo "ambiance" added to most of the mono recordings. Ordinarily I get very bent out of shape about this kind of thing, but in this case the stated purpose is to recreate the actual atmosphere of being in the attraction rather than to do a faithful reissue of a previously available recording. And it does that quite well.

I had my doubts about the crossfaded "day at the park" concept, but I'm over them. It really is a wonderful set, great fun to listen to. If you don't have yours yet, get off your butt and make that call.

I've only gotten a chance to give a close listen to disc 1 so far. I am impressed overall. I heard one minor mix mistake in the Tiki Room (which I'll keep to myself, since you'd probably never notice it without headphones anyway). Otherwise, everything sounds fabulous given the obvious limitations of the source material.
In my opinion, someone needs to hide Randy Thornton's reverb plug-in.

The birds are awash in overused synthetic reverberation, while the musical instrumentation is mixed much too softly in the background. And that's just the Enchanted Tiki Room track.

Lest anyone here be unduly indignant, please remember that one can be appreciative of the effort and still have reservations about the execution.

Howard

X-S Tech

How true.

Of course, one would have to post a "not negative" comment once in a while for anyone to be aware of this appreciation....

Of course, one would have to post a "not negative" comment once in a while for anyone to be aware of this appreciation....
I'd venture that anyone with ears is entitled to an opinion, at least in this case.

Howard

X-S Tech

Absolutely. Just don't be surprised if a lot of complaining earns you a reputations for being negative.

Now let me back up and say that since your ID is new, I'll assume that you are a new member, and not a grinning veteran in a new shroud. Based on that, I apologize; you probably didn't deserve for me to come down that hard on you. It was more aimed at certain members (one in particular) whose comments are largely negative and not just a little bit pompous. But of course, you're new, so welcome aboard and opinionate away!