the new Belle in B&B on b'way

Beauty and the Beast Welcomes Urinetown's McCarthy, Cabaret's Cuervo and "Even Stevens" Star Romano
Feb. 17
By Andrew Gans
08 Jan 2004​

Christy Carlson Romano ? of TV's "Even Stevens" and "Kim Possible" fame ? will be the latest actress to portray Belle in Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

Romano, who made her Broadway debut as Mary Phagan in Lincoln Center's Parade, will join the Broadway company Feb. 17. Romano replaces Megan McGinnis, who will play her final performance Feb. 15.

for more information:
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/83679.html

SharonKurland

My husband and I were in NYC for the past week. After a quick debate if we wanted to see any Disney shows yet again (I've seen B&TB 6 times, TLK 4 times and Aida once...add one each to the latter two for Joe), we decided to broaden our horizons and saw Rent and Wicked (the latter of which had lyrics written by Stephen Schwartz, of Hunchback lyrical fame ). Anyway, while passing by the theater where Aida currently plays, we saw that the role of Ramades is now being played by Micky Dolenz, of Monkees fame. I knew he was in the touring cast for a while...didn't know he had earned his way to the Great White Way.

BTW, Wicked was WONDERFUL. And NYC was freakin' COLD. And Toxic Audio (who we saw 6 times) was TERRIFIC!

-Sharon-

SharonKurland

Ben-

Didn't need to go to Book Off because after I sent a copy of your message to Joe, he made sure to give me all of the TDL CD's that he bought me, for Christmas. So I had everything that was originally listed .

-Sharon-

SharonKurland

Bill-

Fer cryin' out loud, I own what, 525 (give or take) Disney CDs, 75% of which I've never listened to, 25% of which I can't understand because they're not in English, and you're just realizing NOW that I'm obsessive???

Actually, we had volunteered to help Toxic Audio, as greeters, CD sellers, etc. We only SAW one show as real, live audience members. The other 5 shows were spent working (and then standing in the back to watch as much as we could ).

-Sharon-

I loved UNRINETOWN...

We went to NYC to see Kathleen Turner in THE GRADUATE (OK...I love Ms. Turner also). We had some time to kill so we went to URINETOWN on the recommedation of some friends...and we both loved it. Definitely not Disney like though....

Scott

Anyway, while passing by the theater where Aida currently plays, we saw that the role of Ramades is now being played by Micky Dolenz, of Monkees fame.

Actually, I believe he's playing Zoser.

Tink

Bill- Mickey Dolenz is indeed playing Belle, opposite Davy Jones as the Beast.

In other news, Louis Farrakhan and Woody Allen were spotted walking hand in hand in Central Park and the Vatican has announced that they have installed condom dispensers in the Pope's bathroom.

In all seriousness, Sharon- I'd love more specifics about "Wicked," as I adore the book and think the show has a great cast and creative team. However, I've heard mixed things from some of my musical theater friends and news sites. And from my listening to the Cast Recording, I feel that it is more of a rehash of Schwartz's earlier works rather than a new show (musically.)

What did you think? (Details rule!)

Tink

SharonKurland

Danny-

Well, tell you what...you can have Shalisa and I'll take Jeremy (my husband even readily admits that Jeremy's MAJOR eye candy and I have "permission" to look at him ). But YOU get the 3 kids, then .

Are you one of the Pizza People? Shalisa told us about them .

Tink-

The only other Schwartz show that I know REALLY well is HBOND. And yes, there were similarities in the "building the song up to a crescendo [sp?]" and "2 people singing different lines at the same time" aspects. But both Joe and I put that off as "it works well and he does it well, so he keeps doing it that way," less so than a "rehashment."

The storyline of Wicked was engaging (I hadn't read the book), and there were a few handfuls of comedy thrown in as well. Shrug...I certainly enjoyed it .

-Sharon-