Soundtracks Coming Soon

As some of you have posted, the release of a few new soundtracks is not too far off. I confirm that it is true. Three remastered soundtracks will hit the streets August 13th ? "Bedknobs and Broomsticks", "The Happiest Millionaire" and, finally, the first ?real? release of the original "101 Dalmatians".

Here?s the scoop ?

101 Dalmatians is the same master I restored for The Disney Stores some years back.

The new masters for Bedknobs and Millionaire follow the lead of Mary Poppins ? just the songs. Though I too would have loved to have a double CDs, complete with underscore, the films from mid 1960 on present some union issues that cannot be avoided (especially when it was never written in the contract to release the score on record). However, I still managed to get a few surprises on the new releases.

Bedknobs includes all of the songs. The new remix of "Nobody?s Problems" indeed was a problem, so instead Ms. Lansbury?s original demo was added to the soundtrack as one of the bonus tracks. In addition to that demo, I have two others performed by Mr. Richard Sherman ? "Solid Citizen" and "The Fundamental Element", the latter which actually makes a brief appearance in one of the songs that did make it into the film. The material was De-Noised and remastered. The original source material was in relatively good condition so little work needed to be done ? just some new EQ and a little patching here and there.

On Millionaire, that was where most of the work was done. I?m sure you may have noticed, I have not released many of these songs on the compilation albums. As a matter of fact, only two of Millionaire?s songs have been released on CD ? "Fortuosity" on Legacy In Song and "Are We Dancing" on Classic Disney Volume III. The reason for this is that the only master I had available to me was the original album master. This master was so bad that I?d rather not have any of these songs out there at all than in the condition they were in. This album has been totally remixed from the original 1" 8 Track master. I have a little story about my final result in my wrap-up at the end of this post. And YES "It Won?t Be Long ?Til Christmas" is indeed on the album. However, due to a few issues, as mentioned above, I could not include the original film version. But, after hearing the original, the Anne Shelton version (that I used on the 75th set) is pretty darn close to the original (minus the special intro especially written for this version). Even Anne Shelton sounds like Greer Garson. In addition, I also included the demo of the Shermans? original opening number "Off Rittenhouse Square" that was later replaced by "Fortuosity".

When I work on this type of material, I try to get the original composers in the studio with me. Obviously with the older soundtracks, that was impossible. But I?ve managed to work with Richard and Robert Sherman many, many times. Unfortunately, when I began work on Bedknobs and Millionaire, both Richard and Robert were in England (recording the cast album for their stage version of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"). However, I got a call at home the moment Richard arrived back in the States and was excited to hear what I?ve done. A few days later he was in my office and we listed to both soundtracks from beginning to end. When he heard Millionaire, he couldn?t believe it. He HATED the original release. It was sooo drenched in reverb that it was truly unlistenable. And horrible reverb at that. "I hated it! I couldn?t even listen to it once!" is what he said to me. "Now I can finally listen to my music!". Believe me, there is nothing better in this world that being able to please the people who, through their own creativity, have pleased you countless times!! It?s a great honor to be able to bring these records to light again, and I hope you enjoy them too!

Jessica L

That's wonderful news Randy! I can not begin to tell you how much I appreciate all of the work you put into these soundtracks. I totally understand about "It Won't Be Long Til Christmas" - I do love the Anne Shelton version, so I'm not bothered! :) And how wonderful that I'll finally be able to hear "Off Rittenhouse Square" - I'm really excited about that!

I can't wait until August 13th! Thank you Randy - you have brought back some wonderful songs! :)

Once again, thank you Randy for your wonderful efforts, and for also taking the time to keep us up to the minute on the Forum.
Just a few months ago, I was very happy to come across a sealed copy of the Happiest Millionaire LP in a record store in Boston; I haven't had the heart to open it yet, partly because you hinted to us about the upcoming CD release several weeks ago on the Forum. Now after hearing your story of Richard Sherman's feeling about the original release, I may just leave the LP sealed, unless there is something on the LP I'd truly be missing! Thank you again--Michael.
P. S. With a rapidly growing 12-year-old, "It Won't Be Long 'Til Christmas" will still be difficult for me to listen to!

David S.

HOORAY FOR RANDY!!!!!

I will be camping out in a tent to be the first in line to buy these CDs on the 13th. (Well, probably not, but I WILL be at the stores when they open!)

"Bedknobs and Broomsticks" and "The Happiest Millionaire" have been on my CD wish-list for years, and now they are REALITY!

I'm also excited about "101 Dalmatians" being reissued. Even though I have the Disney Store version, I felt bad for the many fans who didn't know about it and missed out. Now, they can get it without having to pay a ridiculously large sum of money on e-bay!

This means that for the first time ever, all 13 of the original "Walt-era" soundtrack CD's will be available at retail AT THE SAME TIME! Add on these new additions, and other recent ones like "Pete's Dragon" "Tron", and "The Rescuers Down Under" reissue, and this is the best time ever for the visibility and availability of Disney soundtracks on CD!

I can't wait to get Bedknobs and Millionaire!!! In the meantime, I'm looking forward to finding the cover art and tracklists!

David

ladytramp

Randy,

YOU'RE THE BEST!!! Thank you for everything you've done (and continue to do) to keep the Magic of Disney Music alive. I love all my Disney soundtrack CD's but I especially think of you whenever I put in my Lady and the Tramp soundtrack... I NEVER thought I'd own that one...

And now Bedknobs and Millionaire, too.... thanks so much.

God Bless!

Thurman

scorefan

This is wonderful. I hope that these soundtrack sell well enough we can get some of the other musicals (Summer Magic, One and Only Genuine Original Family Band, Babes in Toyland) on CD as well. I'm so glad the horrid reverb is gone! I have the LP and I agree it is dreadful.

SFMike

Thanks Randy!!!

Thanks again Randy for your continued excellent work of restoring and perserving whats left of the classic Disney canon. ;D You are one of the few people left at Disney that delivers the goods in terms of what used to be classic Disney quality. Please know that your work is greatly appreciated. I only hope management realizes what a class act they have in you and continue to support your work.

Thanks Again!

rob kilbride

Great to see the new releases coming out Randy! I wish everyone at Disney had the sense of authenticity that Randy has. When I saw that Clock CLeaners was on the Great Mouse Detective DVD I was hoping they had addressed my and I'm sure many other Disney fan's complaint about the changed audio in the scene with Donald and the spring on the Disney Treasures DVD. When I saw the print which had more artifacts than on the DT DVD I got excited thinking they must have gone to a different source to get the original audio. Unfortunately I had no such luck. It has the same altered audio. Disney promoted the DT DVD's as being uncensored and original and at least two and possibly three are not. CLock Cleaners is one. Three Little Pigs was censored, by Walt himself, but still censored and since they showed part of the original part that was removed I don't know why they just didn't include the whole thing. I also heard that the beginning of Skeleton Dance was originally silent and the sound started at the lighning crash, surprising the audience who would have thought it was a silent.

Katybug

Rob~

Hey I knew that Fantasia was censored, but I had no idea that 3 Pigs and Clock Cleaners were also! For those of us who are hearing this for the first time, could you go into more detail? THANKS!

Katybug

raz012

i can speak to the 3 pigs ...

in the segment where a Fuller Brush Man knocks on the door of (i think) Practical Pig, that had been re-animated from the original, not too long after release.

originally, the knock on the door came from a peddler, wearing a yarmulke and cloak with a Star of David on it. the wolf adopts a heavy yiddish accent ... a typical 1930s Jewish stereotype.

a clip of it is on the DVD.

tiggertoo

:DWow, Randy. I don't know what you do or how you get this info but thanks. Great stuff. The Bedknobs and Broomsticks" will be the one first I get.

Dirk

A thousand thanks Randy also from Europe - without your dedicated work we Disney music fans would sure loos hope and confidence!

Keep it going - as you keep the magic alive for us!

Yours
Dirk

... now if WDR would finally understand that those European companies they license their CDs to never bring up decent releases in time...

Even though I bought mine on eBay...I actually got it for quite a deal. It didn't seem to get much interest other than mine and I picked it up for less than $10. =) Nice to have it in wider circulation though. For everyone. The technolgy exists for nothing to ever be out of print again. I just wish that the respective companies would throw open their vaults and let us have at it. There's a goldmine in there!

HOORAY FOR RANDY!!!!!

I will be camping out in a tent to be the first in line to buy these CDs on the 13th. (Well, probably not, but I WILL be at the stores when they open!)

"Bedknobs and Broomsticks" and "The Happiest Millionaire" have been on my CD wish-list for years, and now they are REALITY!

I'm also excited about "101 Dalmatians" being reissued. Even though I have the Disney Store version, I felt bad for the many fans who didn't know about it and missed out. Now, they can get it without having to pay a ridiculously large sum of money on e-bay!

This means that for the first time ever, all 13 of the original "Walt-era" soundtrack CD's will be available at retail AT THE SAME TIME! Add on these new additions, and other recent ones like "Pete's Dragon" "Tron", and "The Rescuers Down Under" reissue, and this is the best time ever for the visibility and availability of Disney soundtracks on CD!

I can't wait to get Bedknobs and Millionaire!!! In the meantime, I'm looking forward to finding the cover art and tracklists!

David

MikkiMom

Wonderful news! I can't wait to get them both. I had the original Bedknobs LP many years ago and played that record to death. Thanks Randy for all your hard work and your dedication to your craft. If only everyone else out in corporate America was so attuned to the quality and the details like you are. Thanks so much.

MikkiMom

sam253

Does anyone have the track listing for the Bedknobs CD yet? Is it same as the original LP release (+ bonus tracks)?
I was hoping for the Portobello Road dancing sequence music to be included, only a part of it was on the LP.

deviantman

Re:Soundtracks In Limbo

Hello Randy,
It's good to hear about what Disney is doing concerning restoring their musical heritage. I am however curious as to if other record labels will be allowed to release other classic Disney soundtracks in the future. Varese Sarabande did a great job with The Great Mouse Detective and the okay re-recording of The Black Cauldron, which is long overdue for a fully restored release. The Black Hole is another desired album release hampered by a prospect of little profit.
It is unfortunate that no score could be included with either Bedknobs or Millionaire padding the release to a generous 70 minutes each. Many collectors would love such am album, but the CD issue in general is a wonderful and welcome addition to any collection. I only hope that the complete song and score release of Robin Hood does become a reality someday in the future.

On another note, it is nearly impossible to communicate to Disney Records directly. It is greatly appreciated that you, Randy, act as ambassador between the hungry eared public and the ever reclusive Disney Records.

Regards,
-Jeremy Moniz

According to the 1970s vinyl, the Portabello Road dance sequence is only about 45 seconds. It's really a shame. Hopefully, we might be able to get (as Mr. Randy Thornton hoped) underscore music for "Pete's Dragon", "Bedknobs and Broomsticks", and especially "Mary Poppins".

One day...one day...

Until then, I'm counting off the substitutiary locomotion days of the release!! :) :eek: :D