Saving Disney Park Albums from Being Deleted on Wikipedia

BLM07

I've put quite a few album listings on Wikipedia a few years back, and now someone is going through the trouble to having them deleted. Here is one example. He claims "non-notable Disney World album with all info apparently coming from album notes without any sources of notability" but I don't know what to do to counter this claim. It seems like people just want things deleted just because they think it isn't notable. :angry:

What can we do?

BLM07

Migrate all of the information here.

Where? I'm not going to put it in a blog, and I'm not opposed to bringing it here, but the forum is not ready yet. I think it would be a great reference over there since it includes links to other articles.

WDWGuy08

if you like or want and if you have the details that were on those pages forthe OA's i could post them on my website as a place for everyone to see them! just let me know and i will work something up and get an approval from you all on here on designs. my website about bruce broughton and disney theme park music website is the one im referring to where itll be posted! or i could create a website JUST for official albums if you like!?

chris

WDWGuy08

please feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions and additions suggestions, etc....

http://web.me.com/cbarrywdw03/DisneyOAArchive/Welcome.html

Horizons

Playlist Author
There are a number of different places you could post the information here.

I'm not going to put it in a blog, and I'm not opposed to bringing it here, but the forum is not ready yet.
What's wrong with posting the information in a community blog? What about the forum is not yet ready? Make a new post, title it OA Information, and hit paste. What am I missing?

Emcduck

Playlist Author
What's wrong with posting the information in a community blog? What about the forum is not yet ready? Make a new post, title it OA Information, and hit paste. What am I missing?
I'm thinking that he feels that the format of the information would not lend itself to posting or researching. It is certainly easier to access the information from a wiki type site.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
See here for an example of what I have already been planning to do. Tell me what other data you'd like to see added and I'll take care of it. I have been holding off on this because I have been waiting for an update to the Gallery software.

Emcduck

Playlist Author
See here for an example of what I have already been planning to do. Tell me what other data you'd like to see added and I'll take care of it. I have been holding off on this because I have been waiting for an update to the Gallery software.

I think it looks good.

Q:
Does it have a way to add in a location that the songs could be heard?
How about artist / composer info if available?

WDWGuy08

does anyone have any comments on what i put together and can expand on?

http://web.me.com/cbarrywdw03/DisneyOAArchive/Welcome.html

BLM07

It looks good so far, personally I like to see it sorted by years and by park with links inside to the previous and next albums. Also I've typed up quite a bit of the notes inside the booklet for some albums, it would be nice to include that too. The only other thing I could think of right now would be to have a sort of clickable comparison of tracks (like if you clicked a title you would see all the albums it is also on). I guess those are the features that would make the database easy and user friendly to use.

I think it looks good.

Q:
Does it have a way to add in a location that the songs could be heard?

Location of the songs is another good idea, I tried adding some of that to Wikipedia, but it's probably "not notworthy" or "has no sources" so someone probably removed it.

Scott

I know nothing about this, so I may be talking out of my posterior--how hard is it to set up a wiki? Would it be possible to create a park album wiki, perhaps associated with this site, and move the info there? I was recently lamenting the fact that Yoshi's TDR album site hadn't been updated in quite some time, and fear losing that information--that's something that could also be transferred to such a wiki.

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
I know nothing about this, so I may be talking out of my posterior--how hard is it to set up a wiki? Would it be possible to create a park album wiki, perhaps associated with this site, and move the info there? I was recently lamenting the fact that Yoshi's TDR album site hadn't been updated in quite some time, and fear losing that information--that's something that could also be transferred to such a wiki.

I had virtually no web design/programming skills and eventually managed to create my own wiki on my personal website, but there are tons of "wiki farms" where you can set up wikis for free, and are pretty user-friendly (though I enjoyed the control you have when it's on your personal website).

Jay, have you heard of IPBWiki? Have you ever thought about using it for a CMS on MagicMusic?

The Trout

MediaWiki is actually ridiculously easy and entirely free to install yourself, should anyone have the urge.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I can do that.

I like to see it sorted by years and by park with links inside to the previous and next albums.
Our database consists of more than just park albums, though. While you can't (currently) pre-sort albums by year, you can easily search for a particular year or anything else that might be of interest to you. 'Search' is your friend.

The only other thing I could think of right now would be to have a sort of clickable comparison of tracks (like if you clicked a title you would see all the albums it is also on).
That would require custom programming and there probably aren't enough interested persons to make the project worthwhile.

Jay, have you heard of IPBWiki? Have you ever thought about using it for a CMS on MagicMusic?
IPBWiki is, for the most part, a bridge to MediaWiki, allowing IP.Board and MediaWiki to share the same member list. I don't think it has been updated to work with IPB 3.x.

I could install IP.Content, which I already have a license for, and which would allow us to create all sorts of custom databases and pages (like the Playlists section), but what I am really thinking about doing is installing a full-blown CMS with menus and styling that will blow everyone's socks off. The problem is deciding whether I want to attempt to bridge to IP.Board, install another forum, or nix the forum altogether in favor of articles with comments.

Emcduck

Playlist Author
does anyone have any comments on what i put together and can expand on?

http://web.me.com/cb...ve/Welcome.html

I looked at it and the image is pretty actually. I liked the spread of the CDs and the ability to just click on a pic and get the info.

I had a problem though and it might not even be you. it might be the soupcan/kitestring that they use to provide internet up here but it took forever to load.

Frank

Probably a dumb question, but what happened to the album info section from the Magical Music of the Mouse/Trent era?

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Probably a dumb question, but what happened to the album info section from the Magical Music of the Mouse/Trent era?
That section of the website was abandoned long before I took over. I also recall a lot of broken links. I do, though, have a backup of some of the old menus and content on a CD-R somewhere.

BLM07

I know it was abandoned for a very long time, but I miss that section too, I kinda liked the layout of it.