Pirates DVD

B

Bill

I think this might be a home run DVD, Disney Fans.

In addition to gobs of feature supplements, there are also some Disneyland attraction supplements including the VR tour and a "making of the attraction" Quicktime movie.

There's also an excerpt from The Wonderful World of Color that, though highly edited, includes more footage than most of us have seen from the episode featuring the opening of the attraction.

How nice to see a good Special Edition for a change!

SharonKurland

Ordered it from Amazon.com a few weeks ago, when getting the rest of my husband's BD/Christmas CDs, DVDs, mp3 player, etc. Will let y'all know his reaction after he gets it towards the end of the month .

-Sharon-

OT: PoC DVD

For those interested in such things, be aware that this release is not particularly Macintosh friendly. To access the "enhanced computer features" one must be able to utilize a special ActiveX object which is currently only compatible with the InterActual Player 2.0 for Windows.

There is an InterActual Player 2.0 for Panther (Mac OS 10.3.x) available here: http://player.interactual.com/default.asp?code=MAC

However, Macintosh users will still not be able to easily access the DVD-ROM features as InterActual Player 2.0 for Panther does not utilize the aforementioned Microsoft DirectX component.

On the other hand, as the "Dead Men Tell No Tales" feature is nothing more than a QuickTime movie, it may be viewed using any QuickTime-aware application. It is located on the second disc: common-> win -> dead -> qt-> dead_men640.mov

The individual "Attraction Image Gallery" images are on the same disc: common-> win -> pict -> full (or "med")

The music for the gallery is here: common-> win -> pict -> music.mp3

The "Disneyland Pirates Virtual Reality Viewer" is the same lame QuickTime VR-based content given away at the disastrous Pirates event of a few years back. It too is located on the second disc: common-> win -> virtual -> pirates.htm (it plays within a browser)

As far as I can tell, the two other DVD-ROM features (script/storyboard and paint-a-skeleton-effect on your own photo) are not available to Macintosh users, period.

And so it goes...

Thanks, 1313--we got the DVD, but haven't seen it yet(working right now). I was impressed with the list of features, especially the "virtual reality" ditty; I was wondering if it was a cousin of the same item I got scalped for on ebay a few years back at the time of the event......you unfortunately confirmed my fears......

Mike

Tink

1313-

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I have yet to upgrade my Mac to Panther- to worried about the firewire issues... :)

Tink

Way OT: Panther

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I have yet to upgrade my Mac to Panther- to worried about the firewire issues... :)
Tink:

Despite reading the same worrisome stories as you, I might mention that we have six Macs happily purring along under Panther (10.3.1) here at home. All have various FireWire (both 400 and 800) devices attached and thus far we haven't had a single problem with any of them. Most had Panther installed back on October 24th, so I imagine we'd have run into *some* trouble by now if it was going to happen.

Just thought you might be relieved to learn that not everyone is having trouble with this particular Mac OS X upgrade. In fact, I don't know anyone who has had any problems with Panther, FireWire-related or otherwise.

Now back to our show already in progress...

Here are the Easter Eggs:

Pirates Cave Construction clip:
Insert Disc 2. Select the "Fly On The Set" option at the main menu. Highlight the "Play All" option and press Right, Right to highlight the skeleton's tooth. Press Enter to watch the "Pirates Cave Construction" clip.

Pre-production scene:
Insert Disc 2. Select the "Below Deck" option at the main menu. Highlight the "Set Sail" option, then press Left, Left to highlight the skull. Press Enter to watch a computer rendering of the chase scene.

Interview:
Insert Disc 2. Select the "Moonlight Serenade" scene progression option. Highlight the "Main Menu" option and press Down, Down to highlight the skeleton's tooth. Press Enter to watch the interview.

Re:OT: PoC DVD

On the other hand, as the "Dead Men Tell No Tales" feature is nothing more than a QuickTime movie, it may be viewed using any QuickTime-aware application. It is located on the second disc: common-> win -> dead -> qt-> dead_men640.mov

The individual "Attraction Image Gallery" images are on the same disc: common-> win -> pict -> full (or "med")

The music for the gallery is here: common-> win -> pict -> music.mp3

The "Disneyland Pirates Virtual Reality Viewer" is the same lame QuickTime VR-based content given away at the disastrous Pirates event of a few years back. It too is located on the second disc: common-> win -> virtual -> pirates.htm (it plays within a browser)

Unfortunately, you would still need a Mac with a DVD-ROM drive, which I don't have. Just for the heck of it, I stuck it in the CD-ROM drive, but nothing - of course. Can anyone extract these parts and post them somewhere so we can view them? I don't understand why they didn't make those movies accessible by the DVD player as ordinary movies... What about those that don't have computers of any kind? They're screwed out of these goodies as well.

GG

Dalboz

Re:OT: PoC DVD

What about those that don't have computers of any kind? They're screwed out of these goodies as well.
What about those without a DVD player? They're screwed out of ALL the goodies. ::)

True, but a DVD player is much more affordable than buying a whole new computer just to see a few files! As low as $29.99 nowadays, and soon VHS tapes will no longer be available, so one would eventually have to switch or do without new movies altogether. Fortunately, a kind soul posted the goodies that I could view with Quicktime, so I did finally get to see almost everything on the disc.

GG