OT: "Victory Through Air Power" Screening

Thought I'd point out to those who living in the Los Angleles area that a recently restored print of "Victory Through Air Power" will be screened tonight at 8:00 PM in the Samuel Goldwyn Theater on Wilshire Boulevard.

Tickets are $5.00.

For directions and more information call (310) 247-3600.

Times like this when I really wish I was in LA and not NY.

1313, Do you know who's sponsoring it?
The academy.

Animation film historian Jerry Beck will introduce the "last theatrical showing" of VTAP tonight during a show which also features 35mm studio vault prints of several war themed animated short subjects including BLITZ WOLF (MGM, Oscar Nominee 1942), RUSSIAN RHAPSODY (Warner Bros., 1943), SONG OF VICTORY (Columbia, 1943), REASON & EMOTION (Disney, Oscar Nominee 1943) and OUT OF THE FRYING PAN INTO THE FIRING LINE (Disney, 1942).

More details about this and other upcoming shows can be found here: http://www.cartoonresearch.com/screenings.html

Hrothgar

Just a reminder: VTAP will be on the "Disney Treasures: On the Front Lines" DVDs coming out in less than a month.

narkspud

Great resource!

I'm curious...did you attend? Who were the guests?

Guests were David Bossert (WDFA vet, who oversaw the restoration), Martha Sigall (ink and painter with several studios, including WB and UPA), and Leonard Maltin. Joe Grant was also scheduled to appear and was there, but didn't come up for the panel after the movie.

A wonderful evening as usual. The Disney and Columbia films were immaculate, Russian Rhapsody was a dinged up AAP print (the scenes on the Looney Tunes DVDs appear to be taken from the same print), and Blitz Wolf looked downright fuzzy, but the Academy's magnificent projection quality was a joy to watch anyway.

I don't recall anything about the panel that really jumped out at me. They discussed the unions and pay scales and how life changed for the folks working in the industry. Told some homefront stories. It was nice.

VTAP itself is a must see, and really evokes the tenor of the era.

Great resource!

I'm curious...did you attend? Who were the guests?
Bill:

I'm sorry, I guess I missed your query. Yes, I was able to just make the show on time. It was worth the mad rush to get there. (Thanks to narkspud for providing the panel information.)

The print of VTAP looked great so the upcoming DVD should be a treat.

narkspud

Just a reminder: VTAP will be on the "Disney Treasures: On the Front Lines" DVDs coming out in less than a month.

And now the bad news. The releases are being delayed until next May. Content is NOT an issue. It's something to do with the "crowded release schedule."