OT and Waaaay Behind: Beauty and the Beast DVD Quality question

X-S Tech

Beauty and the Beast is my favorite movie. So needless to say I got the 2 disc DVD when it first came out. But I had watched the VHS copy a million times before to the point where I had every frame memorized. So even though I HAD to have the DVD, I didn't feel any compelling urge to watch it (I know that's sick) at least right away. But yesterday I popped it in, and while watching it I noticed how digitized it looks. There's that definate pixelated look most noticeabley on the outlines which really is distracting. I was always under the impression that a digital print (even of a previous "analog" source) is supposed to be clearer and more precise. This looks fuzzy and like a low res. image. The only explanation that I can think of is that the digital print was made for high definition, and that it looks worse on a low def TV set. Is that possible? Anyone know anything about this?

Gurgitoy2

The reason Beauty and the Beast looks like that is not because of the digital print, but it's because there is too much data on the DVD, so the movie is severely compressed. It's unfortunate, really, becauxe in order to have the 3 different versions on one disc we had to sacrifice quality. If they had broken up the different versions between the two discs, that would probably have solved the problem.

X-S Tech

Wow. So in fact this print would look even worse on an HDTV. Nice. I already have the Work in Progress on VHS. So basically I have 2 tapes that I still can't throw away and the DVD. Great.

BLM07

Did they include one of those lame personality quizes? They have been on other DVDs lately and are a complete waste of space. Personally I never care for things like the jungle trek on the Lion King or the carpet ride on Aladdin, but at least they are on the 2nd DVD. I don't really care for DVD games much either. They are quickly made and take up space on the DVD, even people who like them end up only playing them once or very rarely.