O/T- Tigger arrested at WDW...

Tink

Bill-

Which resort was it? It sounds like Port Orleans/Dixie Landings/whatever the heck they are calling it nowadays...

Whatever the resort, I wanna book me a room! ;)

Tink

SharonKurland

Bill-

WOW.

Just another reminder of why I listen to my brain instead of my heart and DON'T work for WDW. Cleaning up puke at the Staten Island TDS was bad enough.

-Sharon-

SharonKurland

Actually, the treehouses are still thee. They're built on wetlands so they can't be touched . But it's really a forgotten place...if you drive past the main entrance to the area, it's freakin SAD...all dark, lots of weeds, etc.

-Sharon-

That is all going to be Saratoga Springs...right? That is going to be a huge resort. What is it? 16 buildings? We took the tour of the model and the dvc woman assured me that the treehouses are staying.

SharonKurland

If/when Saratoga Springs expands, I could see the Treehouses being included. Not at this point in time though...they'd have to fix everything up first. Again, it looks REALLY bad right now. VERY bad show.

-Sharon-

dtats

Having lived a good part of my life about 25 miles south of Saratoga, NY, I'm curious to see how the treehouses would complement the new resort. Not that I have anything against treehouse villas, but I can't ever recall seeing treehouses at any of the local resorts around Saratoga. ???

Who knows, maybe this will start a new lodging trend near the harness track. ;)

dtats

From some of the accounts I've read in other discussion groups, they just might through the WDW College Internship Program. :D

Walt Disney World's Main Street USA is about 98% directly "inspired" by Saratoga Springs New York............in fact the Main St Station is almost identical to the New York Central RR's Saratoga Springs Station............long since gone..........the Gulf Hospitalitly House.......is based on a popular hotels as well as several other struture elements................of course Disney's is soo much nicer.

My drgree is in architectureand during my time working for Disney and collecting Disney, i developed a "side" hobby of documenting structures that served as inspration for Disney park structures...........often several building elements become a Disney landmark, while others are almost directly reproduced...........like WDW's Frontierland Town Hall.........almost a direct duplicate of Firehouse #11 in Nevada City (California)
...........or the Grizzly Fallts/Disneyland Frontierland depot............a Union Pacific flagstop..........The Crystal Palace rest in WDW & TDL .........a 1880's arboratum in San Francisco....................I forget what the topic of this post was.........

DL FLIGHT 295
aka
DC-88 SPACELINER

SharonKurland

> Not that I have anything against treehouse
> villas, but I can't ever recall seeing treehouses
> at any of the local resorts around Saratoga.

dtats-

Like that matters . It's Disney...since when do they pay attention to authenticity? They'll make up a story, saying that the treehouse area was the summer vacation home in the woods for Teddy Roosevelt and, ta-da, a new Disney legend is made!

-Sharon-

dtats

Ahhhh, yes! Now that you mention it, it does seem to be plausible! In fact, President Grant had a cottage just north of Saratoga, and if memory serves me, I think it was in a treehouse! ;D

You're right, Sharon--If I can walk to the top of a fake tree in Lake Buena Vista and marvel at the same clamshell bath basin time after time, I can imagine treehouse villas in Saratoga.

As Judy Tenuta likes to say, "It could happen!";)

dtats

Bill,
That's an interesting point about the WDW Haunted Mansion. I recall hearing/reading somewhere that the original architecutural inspiration for the HM in Flordia was the old Victorian-style mansions found in the Hudson River Valley of New York, yet other sources do say that it was the Packer Mansion in Pa. In fact, the Packer Mansion website, http://www.murdermansion.com, even claims their's to be the model in question.

So, based upon available resources, I don't have much to more to offer than corroboration of your story.

- Mike

dtats

Ok, so after a few more searches online, I did manage to come up with a bit more information to add to the confusion about the architectural origins of the East Coast HM...

It seems that a number of websites are referring to the WDW Haunted Mansion as being modeled after the English Tudor style of the Hudson Valley. This may have, in fact, fueled my speculation.

http://www.hauntedmansion.info/wdwinfo.asp claims to have the straight scoop on this issue. Citing a "fact file" obtained from the WDC intranet, they support the claim that the Haunted Mansion's exterior look is similar to that of the mansions in the lower Hudson River Valley.

So, who is correct? Or, perhaps, was the final design more of a composite of both the Packer Mansion and the Hudson Valley homes?

well......to see the REAL inspiration for both DL's & WDW's Haunted Mansions, look at Doombuggies.com for some great pictures. These were from a WED/WDI research files from when the mansions were being devloped:you'll see why Disney doesn't admit to these being the REAL inspirations.......they are both perfect dead ringers for their themepark counterparts......the HM book mention of the Packer Mansion and the estate
home in Baltimore.......have some similar attributes. But the 1860 photograph of the Disneyland Mansion's source will make you do a double take.......and the 1830's engraving of a Hudson River Valley Dutch-Gothic mansion will give you the direct link to the mansion at Walt Disney World......I still can't get over the Disneyland design source......it is not identified as to it's location (no doudt it's location long lost to his time and history)........I even though it was a Disneyland photograph untill i noticed the balcony running slightly longer on the sides. Anyway, take a look folks at Doombuggies.com

DL Flight 295
aka
DC-88 Spaceliner