Newsgroup Question

gamora

Besides the group alt.binaries.multimedia.disney.parks, wasn't there another group called alt.binaries.multimedia.disney.sounds or
alt.binaries.multimedia.disney.mp3? I'm trying to add them to my server. Thanks.

Re:Newgroup Question

The two main "big ones" are:

alt.binaries.multimedia.disney

and

alt.binaries.multimedia.disney.parks

There may have been others, but they are either not available on most servers or are never used. I have never seen a specific MP3 binary disney group.

The first one listed gets a lot of dutch postings, spam and unrelated materials, hence the creation of the second group.

gamora

I had also seen RU42 mention something called
#Disney-Central and Distro. do you know what he is referring to?

Thanks.

Completely separate from Newsgroups, these run on a service called IRC (Internet Relay Chat). I suggest going to wdwresorttv.com for more information, or visit the Audio/Video forums at wdwmagic.com

derekdaze

Hi guys.

My ISP doesn't carry alt.binaries.multimedia.disney.parks. I can only get the rec.arts.disney.parks.

Can anybody reccomend a good online newsgroup reader as I find it all very confusing... (and yet IRC, I'm a wizz at!)

Hi guys.

My ISP doesn't carry alt.binaries.multimedia.disney.parks. I can only get the rec.arts.disney.parks.

Can anybody reccomend a good online newsgroup reader as I find it all very confusing... (and yet IRC, I'm a wizz at!)

That could mean your ISP doest offer binary groups. If thats true you cant get anything but text messages unless you sign up with a newsgroup service like giganews

TTiiMM

I personally recommend Easynews. No other service comes close to what they offer. One feature they have which is very useful is their global search engine. You can search every binary newsgroup for a particualar keyword, filename, poster, etc.

-Tim

derekdaze

Update: I checked with my ISP and they said they do allow binary, but they cant give any tech support on it, fair enough i thought.

So I got Grabit, but all I can find is alt.binaries.multimedia.disney -not- alt.binaries.multimedia.disney.parks.

Just wondered if this is normal for it to be selective...?
Any help appreciated.

Derek

It's pretty normal. The latter newsgroup, abmdp was only added somewhat recently and many services haven't picked it up. You can request that a Newsgroup be added by contacting your ISP, but you're basically at the mercy of what they offer. It seems that while some of the Cable providers (Cox, Comcast, etc) are not offering it, many DSL providers (Verizon, SBC I believe) are. (This may vary by region, so don't take my word for it). Of course, the other option is to subscribe to the services listed above, especially if you're in some kind of contract with your current provider and ESPECIALLY if you plan on "building a library" downloading the stuff; it's well worth the extra 10 bucks a month.

gamora

I am sorry to report that SBC does not allow access to binary newsgroups with suffixes such as mp3 or multimedia on its Los Angeles news provider.

xfkirsten

I am sorry to report that SBC does not allow access to binary newsgroups with suffixes such as mp3 or multimedia on it's Los Angeles news provider.

I got that same answer when I e-mailed them last year. It's a real shame! :(

AprilDecember

After years of struggling to get access to binary usegroups on usenet, I'm able to view and dowload files via alt.binaries.multimedia.disney.parks! Just made a couple of requests, too. :)

Thanks for the tips, guys!