NEW O'Canada Film, first showing today at 11 AM :) Spoilers ahead

Musicman13

So, I called Disney to ensure that they would showing the new film, so I wouldn't drive there for no reason. They said, yes, it would be starting at 11 AM. Drove over and walked to Canada. The gentleman CM was in the middle of his spiel, mentioning he was from Newfoundland, yadda, yadda. Afterwards, we walk in, with new BGM entrance music, I'm assuming by Bruce Broughton. It was OK, new material, nothing to write home about. The film itself is slightly shorter, running at 14 min instead of 18 min. It's narrated by Martin Short. I enjoy the comedic stylings of Short usually, but his inclusion in the new film gave it a slightly cheesy, hokey feel. Some of the bits I caught that were kept from the old version were the forest scene that kind of looks like footage of Endor. Also, the footage of the dramatic climb over the snow capped mountain which had the nice string writing from the old version is kept as well. Also included at the end of the film was the mountie surrounding bit.
I hate to say it, but the music provided by Broughton seemed uninspired overall. The end of the film featured an updated version of "Canda..You're a Lifetime" sung by last years Canada Idol winner. She has a pleasant voice and the arrangement wasn't awful; it was standard pop: rhythm section and fake strings (I believe). I didn't hate it like I thought I would have. I'm glad a part of the old film was held on to for the new. As you exit, theres also a nicely done updated orchestration of the song as well.
The new footage shot looks great and gives (I guess) a better, more modern take on Canada. The film still shows you the same cities and landscapes, however, slightly changed. Just a note, I heard newer digital projectors and sound was to be installed, I don't believe it was so.
I'm sure I'll think of more later; that's all for now. Thanks for reading. BTW, I saw a couple people camcordering, if that was anyone that posts/reads here; let me know, I'm interested in your opinions.

Dr. Know

Thanks for the information. I did watch the video, and I couldn't disagree more about Broughton's score. It is gorgeous! Unfortunately, we'll never get to hear any of it on an official album. I'm sure we'll be "treated" to the new cover of "Canada, You're a Lifetime Journey," which I could live without.

Musicman13

I don't know, I'll have to go back and listen again. It's just that my first impressions were that I wasn't blow away or anything. The old score, even though it sounded "dated" by our standards, went with the picture much better somehow. Don't get me wrong, I love Broughton's work. I believe his WDW Timekeeper score is some of the best writing for film, theme park or other, in the last quarter century. It's just that this score just didn't hit me right.
The new cover is ok; it's standard pop fare. And yes, I'm sure it will be on the next OA.

PS-I found out this week that I've been called in for this year's Candlelight orchestra rehearsals on Nov. 19 and 20, both from 11pm to 3 am, yaaa! Last year was so much fun, getting to be in the only people in the park after it closed, with the lights and music still going. It was awesome. I'll try to get some pictures or video when I go in November, I can't wait :)

Horizons

Playlist Author
Well, I saw the new version twice today. First, Bluenose is no longer in the score, which is probably enough for some of you to hate the new version already. But, having been a big fan of the previous version, I am happy to say that I also enjoyed this version as well. My only complaint is the new theme song, which I am not a fan of.

The load music, as Dr. Know points out, is really outstanding. I can only hope that at least this piece of music makes it to the official album.

Now, if someone at Disney is listening, please release the soundtrack to the old film, for historical purposes!

Club 33

Playlist Author
Unfortunately I just missed the new film (I was there two weeks ago, probably wont be back any time soon. :() but I have seen a video of it.

I wasn't sure how I felt about Martin Short being the host when I heard about it, having seen it its not so bad but it does make the film feel a bit more cheesy. I did like the bit at the beginning (with I assume Corey Burton as the narrator, it certainly sounded like him) joshing the France pavillion.

And let's face it, its nice just to have a new circlevision film when so many of the Circle Vision attractions are gone now (mostly replaced by Buzz Lightyear attractions). I do feel that this film will become dated more quickly though, with it's inclusion of Martin Short and pictures of other current celebrities from Canada. Not to mention the inclusion of soarin at the end, which would be a problem if Soarin or it's fastpass was ever removed (granted, not likely to happen in the forseeable future).

As for the music, the score I felt was neither good nor bad; of course I might find it a bit more moving when I see it in a theater setting, we'll see. The new version of Canada, You're a Lifetime Journey is very pop, not as good as the original I feel but not bad.

Overall I'd give it 4/5 stars. It was a good effort, well played to a modern audience and modern canada, but lacking the charm of its predecessor.

FRAN?OIS

Well, the "old" You're A Lifetime Journey had a female singer with a nice voice but with a terrible French pronunciation! I am not even sure if she knew what she was singing; she did it phonetically, I guess, AND, for French listeners, it was almost impossible to understand any single word!
I am kind of glad that this version is out!

Martin Short does a fabulous job here, along with Julie Delpy, hosting the film tribute to movies at The Walt Disney Studios (Paris) AKA....... Bill's favo(u)rite Disney Park in the World! Ah! :D

kirky99

Again, just going by the video posted on Youtube, I also feel it has the potential to become dated much faster. The Celine Dion referrence would be the most glaring in my opinion.

Did they actually refilm anything in CircleVision? I saw a lot of cheating with new footage being displayed on seperate screens and a lot of reused footage. I guess I could compare Martin's tribute to the one I saw...

Overall I think I like the audio however, the video portions could have been better. I do think it's a worthy update, but has the potential to be in need of another update soon.

Musicman13

I agree with Club 33. It wasn't that I thought the music was bad per se, it was just "meh". It wasn't compelling to me atleast, knowing what Broughton is capable of in previous projects. Also, the Celine Dion joke and the Soarin joke were not needed.

lilgerm

I fianlly caught the film and I have to say it was not that bad......but I have to agree with a lot of replies that why does everything have to be full of shrekesque wise ass jokes?

But I then I think we have to remind ourselves this: Are any 360 movies memorable?

They all are a little ponderous.

Now Impressions de France..............................That is riveting!

I think Bill's hit the nail on the head; without seeing the film it's unwise for me to make a generalization but it feels, based on everyone's feedback, that another attraction has been dumbed-down for no good reason.

Just got back to Maine last night after another road trip to WDW...very difficult to resist that recurring desire to just turn the car around...anyway, being back on the forum is helping to take the sting out of the return from Neverland...

We saw the new Canada film the first day it showed, a day before the "official" opening. We were never fans of the previous film, having seen it probably only a few times over the past several years, as opposed to films like Impressions de France and Reflections of China, which we never miss, so I won't attempt a comparison. The three of us really enjoyed the new film, seeing it twice this trip; I've been a fan of Martin Short since his Ed Grimly/SCTV days, I must say. As far as Bruce Broughton's music, I'll have to go back and listen to my recording a few more times, but I wasn't as stunned with his score as I was expecting to be with my first viewing of the film. His score seemed to be more of a series of isolated vignettes, changing with the geographical locales; maybe I was expecting the sweeping grandeur of Richard Bellis's Reflections of China score, a beautiful and very cohesive musical suite. I was one of those who was very excited with having Mr. Broughton on board for this film, and I certainly need to listen to his music again; maybe I was distracted too much by the visuals, but I tried to focus more on the music my second time around.

Or maybe I was still feeling annoyed over Disney's dining plan, which we didn't use, but which seems to have filled many of WDW's restaurants to capacity, stressing staff and, of course, the diners; and speaking of Canada, forget about trying to get Le Cellier reservations...anyway, enough OT for now...

Mike

marni1971

But I then I think we have to remind ourselves this: Are any 360 movies memorable?
From Time to Time ;)

Any confirmation yet whether the new O'Canada! ALD has the score and narration?

X-S Tech

I'd say as more and more of the Theme Parks become "hip and edgy" or "thrill oriented", a simple attempt to convey a message through a 15-20minute film, without squirting water, 3D glasses or injoke spouting celebrities, becomes all the more memorable, to me at least.

Thanks, Jim--and speaking of Bruce Broughton--and with Halloween coming up--I'm looking forward to the Intrada "Special Collection" release of his score to The Monster Squad, being released this month.
Mike

Dr. Know

Thanks, Jim--and speaking of Bruce Broughton--and with Halloween coming up--I'm looking forward to the Intrada "Special Collection" release of his score to The Monster Squad, being released this month.
Mike

I've got it preordered ;D

...and I thought I had you there, Jim--what a fool I was!!! I'm embarassed to say, being a "monster kid" from way back, that I only found out about The Monster Squad just a month or so ago; I quickly bought the DVD--I could really relate, it was alot of fun! Funny you mentioned pre-ordering, as I just started to think today that I should do that--where did you order from? I saw the CD on monstersinmotion and the film score monthly site.
Mike