Mary Poppins Special Edition Soundtrack

chris

Hey Folks,

The new Mary Poppins double CD soundtrack, to be released on November 16, is listed for pre-order at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...nce&s=music

The list price is $18.98. Not bad for two CDs.

Mary Poppins, come on down!!

popp.mania.jpg

atomobile

Before you get your hopes high....
The Mary Poppins Special Edition CD is not a 2 CD set. It is only 1 CD. Unless this changed, the bonus CD that Randy told us about is a Disney Store exclusive and everyone else will sell the 1 CD Special Edition. It is called a Special Edition with or without the bonus disc because, similar to the Beauty and the Beast and Lion King "Special Editions", the single disc included more music than ever before.
Just be carefull when you order online and make sure you are getting the 2 CD set. Places like Amazon, etc will call this release a special edition. Nowhere do they claim it's 2 CDs.
Your friend,
Louis (who is looking forward to getting the 2 CD set) :)

FRAN?OIS

So darn stupid imho, since Disney Stores are hardly "Disney" anymore and hardly carry Disney cds too!

i'm not even sure that foreign Disney Stores will have them too!

Like a friend of mine -- in Canada! -- says:

"Oh well, if they don't want to sell their stuff!"

Juicy profits for Ebay sellers, I guess!

Such a respect for Disney fans! :-

chris

Thanks for the information, Louis. I had no idea that the second bonus disc would not be sold everywhere. I'm glad you said something.

Here is a wonderful photograph from the set of Mary Poppins. Isn't it just great? I'm sure we can look forward to many more interesting photos like this in the stills gallery of the new Anniversary DVD.

pop.set.spoonful.jpg

Actually, things have changed. The "Mary Poppins Special Edition Soundtrack" will not be an exclusive! The same 2 disc set will be available everywhere. Disc One is the soundtrack and Disc Two has the bonus materials ? All will be available wherever Disney CDs are sold. ;D

Randy Thornton

SharonKurland

Ben-

Depending on where in NJ you are, the Disney Store in the Staten Island Mall is still in operation. It's also a very cool store, as TDS's go...it was a prototype store and, when it opened in 1995, was one of only 9 with that design in the world.

Randy-

I like YOUR way better .

-Sharon-

Gurgitoy2

Sharon, that is so far out of my way! The closest stores to me were the ones in NYC, and the one in the Pavonia Newport mall. What did the Staten Island store look like? I'm wondering If I saw any of those prototype stores while in California. I remember Century City being a very nice one. The one I liked best of all though, was the one closest to me while growing up in Montclair California. It was one of the only ones to open up with a "Mickey's Kitchen" hamburger restaurant inside. It was such a fun store, and very large! Too bad the restaurant was taken out and the store shrunk to half it's size...

SharonKurland

Ben-

Geesh, where in NJ are you?!?!?!

TDS in the Staten Island Mall is about twice as wide as it is deep. Take 3 or 4 normal-sized mall storefronts and put them together...that's TDS #535.

the cash wrap (which was in the center of the store), as well as the shelves behind it, are a B&TB motif. The cash wrap itself is modeled after the banquet table and there are TDS-esque statues of Gaston, Cogsorth, Mrs. Potts, etc., towards the ceiling. The front of the store is Fab Five and they are on the ceiling, with Daisy Duck, Huey, Louie and Dewey and Alice in Wonderland(?) in the store windows. The right side of the store (as you walk in) is Snow White & the 7 Drwarfs, with a wood (formica ) floor and when I worked there, that was the Adults' section. What WAS the Collecibles Room was a 12' octagon-shaped room in typical teal-and-gold Disney gallery colors and it was behind Adults. The Kids' section, on the left side of the store, had a lot of greens and aqua and was supposed to feel like you were underwater (we didn't have Plush Mountain....we had Plush Fountain). There were 2 ceiling murals in the store...in Kids, which had clouds in it, and in Collectibles, which had Fantasia characters.

The big laser disc screen was in Kids. There was a touch screen video monitor in Collectibles, which had short videos about collectibles, movies, the parks, etc.

It was a beautiful store. Like I said, it's still there, but they've pretty much ruined it, the way they did all the rest. The last I visited was about a year ago...it was the first time I went since they went "all kids" and I almost cried at what they had done to "my" store, so I swore I'd never go back.

I know that 2 of the other eight 1995 prototype stores were in Georgia and Chicago.

-Sharon-

SharonKurland

Exactomundo.

I literally almost cried. All the happy memories I had of visiting there for the first year, then working there for the 2 years after that...and seeing all the kiddie crap they sold, and the filth on the floor and the unfolded shirts everywhere and the clearance racks in "my" collectibles room.

Sigh.

-Sharon-

I admit, I am not a HUGE fan of MaPo (don't kill me!), but I do love the music and can't wait to get the 2 cd set!! THANK YOU for the updates!

I adore "found in the vaults" music and "making of" stuff on DVDs ;-)

*Tommy

mapohatter.jpg

CPNHOOK15

::)

Ben C., where did you grow up exactly? I lived in Upland and frequented the Monclair Plaza Disney Store. Good Times. Never did see another store quite like it. And the Mickeys Kitchen was really good!

Tim C

Gurgitoy2

Sharon, I'm in Jersey City.

As for the description of the Staten Island store, it sounds like the one on Union Square in San Francisco. A very nicely designed store...too bad it too fell the way of the princess & plush.

Speaking of which...I went to the grand opening of the new World of Disney NYC store...sigh...

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but maybe something along the lines of the two existing World of Disney stores...

Well, they didn't change much at all. They did manage to get rid of that horrid pink back area, but now it looks like it USED to look before the pink paint. There is a much better selection of NYC stuff, but that's reall all that I thought was better. There is some park merchandise, like the monorail and all it's accessories. The second floor still has toys & plush, just different selections.

The gallery floor is the most dramatic change. Nothing was done cosmetically, but now it's just a barren carpeted area set up as a waiting place to see characters, or the Cinderella show. It's a wasted space really.

There is a new candy section that takes up most of the front right-hand side of the store, but it's nothing entirely new, just overpriced.

Anyway, I was not impressed by the store's new direction.

Gurgitoy2

CPNHOOK15,

I grew up in Ontario, but really was all over Southern California for school and stuff. So, Montclair was the closest Disney Store to my house. We did visit Brea occasionally, but that place was tiny compared to Montclair!

atomobile

That's great news for everyone here! I am SO looking forward to the 2 CD Mary Poppins set. I believe this to be the BEST Disney soundtrack EVER. The orchestra arrangements are just beautiful. Looking forward to replacing my crappy old Poppins DVD too. The only time it was released on DVD was a poorly done transfer of the Laserdisc/VHS master (which, by the way, looked BEAUTIFUL on laserdisc but HORRIBLE on DVD). It's going to be a Mary Poppins Christmas!
Yes, I like Randy Thornton's way better too. He usually has better marketing ideas than WDR's marketing department. And he always works hard to give us the best, and most complete material available. There is only so much he can do though. When WDR has their input on things, budgets get cut, and material gets cut out. I would be VERY afraid of WDR without Randy. He is the only person there who cares about the company's history.
Thanks Randy!
Louis

SharonKurland

Hi Ben-

I've been to that TDS in Union Square in San Francisco....nope, not the same store design . VERY pretty store though

Thanks for the report on the "new" WoD. What a waste of a Gallery area. Actually....what a waste, period .

Hey, did I tell y'all that after 2 years of searching, I FINALLY got my Tinkerbell Tiffany-style lamp? I was one MAJORLY happy camper!

-Sharon-