Mark Twain Riverboat

Ituri13

Hi, I'm new here, but I couldn't find the answer to this question anywhere so here goes. What is the story with the Mark Twain Riverboat track found on The Musical History of Disneyland. It's not the current audio is it? When does it come from and is it a complete audio track or is it a shortened version?

Hiya Ituri13,

And welcome to the forum.

The narration used for the Mark Twain on the ?Musical History of Disneyland? set was from the time when Splash Mountain was being built. It is actually slightly edited. I removed the references to Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, and Splash Mountain, as they are represented with their own tracks. Had I the space on the Disc, I would have kept it all in. However, with the discs already filled to the maximum, I decided to focus on the elements of the narration that would highlight those features of this Riverboat Journey which would have no other representation ? like Tom Sawyer?s Island and alike.

Hope that answers your question.

Randy Thornton

Ituri13

Sorry for the double post...

Are there additional safety warnings and depth callings from that particular era that are also missing from the track?

Club 33

Playlist Author
Such that all possible questions can be answered (a lofty goal, but hey), here is a transcript of the complete narration from this period (the complete narration was released as part of the Disneyland Forever system). The sections that are present in the A Musical History of Disneyland track are green.

--------

Voice: Secure all cargo. All passengers aboard. Bow man, cast off bow line. Engine room, ahead one-quarter. Leadmen, sound off depth markings.

Leadmen: By the mark. Mark one. Mark twain. Mark three. Mark four. Ocean deep.

Voice: Engine room, ahead three-quarters.

Captain: Howdy folks. This is your captain speaking. I'd like to welcome you aboard the Mark Twain, queen of the riverboats. Our journey today will take us up the Rivers of America, and into the western frontier. Along the way I'll be pointing out some interesting sights and telling ya a few stories. So, just relax now and enjoy the trip. And remember- I run a clean riverboat here. That means no eatin', no drinkin', and especially no gamblin' on board.

Off the port bow is New Orleans Square. We'll have to be careful through here, notorious pirates have been known to plunder passing riverboats.

You hear some colorful stories when you been on the river as long as me- take that old mansion up ahead there. Hehe, well some folks claim that it's haunted. And they say, if you listen real close, well you can a moanin' and a groanin'...

Off the starboard bow is Tom Sawyer Island. Heh, it's a great spot for climbin' rocks and explorin' caves. But, ya gotta watch yourself in those caves. Well, you can get lost real easy. Just ask Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher. Heck, you can even ask old Injun Joe. Hehehe, if ya can find him. He went in those caves, and, he never come out. Hmmm, but I hear his ghost is still in there, just lurkin' about in the darkness.

There's been a lot ah commotion in these parts lately. Seems they're buildin' Critter Country a whole new mountain. Splash Mountain they call it, and I hear tell that Brer Bear, Brer Fox and even Brer Rabbit are all gonna live there. The rumor says Splash Mountain will be the biggest, the wettest fastest and the wildest flume ride anyone's ever seen. Well, you can see for your self, when it opens early in 1989.

A few years back an old trapper brought his trained bears out here and opened the Country Bear Playhouse. But those pesky bruins, well they proved to be nothin' but trouble. They took over the place and now they're doin' the show their own way. Well folks say that those bears can sing, and dance, and well, even tell jokes. As I said before, when you been on the river for a few years well you hear a lotta tall tales.

We just passed Fort Wilderness, the last post of civilization on the river.

Leadmen: Mark three. Mark twain.

Captain: The waters are pretty shallow on this part of the river, but that ain't nothin' to worry about on account of our flat hull. It sits only about two feet into the water. That means that we can go on rivers that are just too shalla' for most boats.

Here in the backwoods territory you don't see much civilization. Just miles and miles of wilderness with only a few homesteads, and even fewer towns. Well I'll be, here's on of those homesteads now. Old Jed there's been supplying moonshine to the keel boats for oh, a few months now and heh, he said his business was just about to catch fire. Well it looks like he was right.

Before steam ships come along, supplies had to be hauled up the river by them no-good keel boats. A trip back then used to drag on for several months. But now, thanks to riverboats, it takes only a week. I guess that's why you don't see many of them keel boats on the river these days. Oh, 'cept maybe to pick up some of Jed's moonshine.

Over there on the island is a rare sight. It's an Indian burial ground. Braves who fall in battle are brought here and placed atop those poles. Sometimes, late at night, you can see Indians, comin' down to pay their respects.

Those tracks off the port side lead to Big Thunder Mountain, where gold was found a few years back. Indian legends say that evil spirits haunt the area. Well the miners are startin' to believe that, what with all the runaway trains that have been hurtlin' down the mountain lately. Speakin' a trains well, there's one that's run into a pile of trouble.

Up ahead is Big Thunder Falls, the last sign of wilderness in these parts, and just ahead is the landin', where our journey ends. I'd like to thank you all for joining us on the Mark Twain. As for those tales about evil spirits and haunted mansions and singin' bears, well you'll just have to find out the truth of 'em for yourself.

One last thing. A riverboat arrival has always been a big event here in Frontierland. Hundreds of cheerin' and clappin' people, usually line the dock to welcome our steamship into port. Well, they're usually cheerin' and clappin'. Once again, thanks for joining us on the Mark Twain, and we're glad you come aboard.

Voice: Approach levy at one-quarter steam. Man the bow line. All passengers, stand by to go ashore.

-------

In an upcoming post on my blog I will be providing information about the current narration and music that plays aboard the Mark Twain.

almandot

I'm going to assume based on his edits that Randy supports both eating and drinking as well as gambling while on board the Mark Twain, as long as it's not Jed's moonshine.

Hiya almandot!

Actually, I?m close friends with several of ?the vices?!

Looking at the transcript posted by Club 33, you can see that what I removed was kind of superfluous, and didn?t really add to the track. Not to say that they?re unnecessary, but being crunched for disc space, they were an easy sacrifice. Now, the Jed?s Cabin sequence was the last to go. Even after I had made the initial edits, I still needed to remove a little more to fit the disc. What ultimately pushed me to cut Jed, was that it?s not the original story of the cabin. Originally, the cabin was attacked by ?Indians?, but was changed in the late 80?s to the ?moonshine story? for PC reasons. So, needing the disc space, ?moonshine? not being the original story, and when you add in my intense hatred of BOOTLEGGERS (If you know what I mean ;) ), the decision to cut it was something I could live with.

That?s why Jed is MIA.

Randy