Magic Music Goes Mobile, Charts New Course

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Magic Music Goes Mobile, Charts New Course

Dream Mobile.jpg
On January 9, 2007, Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone, proclaiming it "The Internet in Your Pocket," redefining the smartphone category, and forever changing the way we communicate with the world around us.

Today, more than 60 percent of Magic Music's traffic comes from mobile devices. This calls for a fully-responsive website that allows mobile visitors to experience the same design as desktop users, in a layout that is optimized for their screen (e.g., smartphone, tablet).

A fully-responsive version of IP.Board, our current software, has recently become available. Unfortunately, this new version breaks more things than it fixes. It is also, at least for now, painfully slow.

After thorough research, and a great deal of agonizing, a decision has been made to purchase and install new software. Our seven-year journey with IP.Board has come to an end. It's time to chart a new course for Magic Music.

Taking flight September 9th

We will experience downtime on Wednesday, September 9th, as we turn dials and throw switches to implement the new software. If all goes according to plan, we will be back online within a couple of hours.

Blogs will be absent upon our return, regrettably, but a replacement — complete with previous entries and associated comments — is in the works.

A new Playlist Manager with superior features will allow us to get playlists online faster. Unfortunately, changes to the way BB Codes are parsed means that our older, already existing playlists will be horribly broken. "Not again?!" Please be patient while we make the necessary repairs.

Our discussion areas will also be changing course in the weeks and months ahead. Look for existing categories to be consolidated and many new ones to be added.

A whole new front end is coming soon. In preparation, the forums will be getting a new address. You will need to adjust your bookmark/favorite accordingly.

You can help

A lot of time and expense is involved in maintaining this website. Please consider showing your support for Magic Music by becoming a Premium Member or by following our links when purchasing music.

Club 33

Playlist Author
In the mean time, there is no way even for authors to access our old blog posts/playlists? What about content that was in a draft state?

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
In the mean time, there is no way even for authors to access our old blog posts/playlists?

The new software does not support Blogs. I am working on a replacement. My current line of thinking is to use forum subcategories. Previous Blog entries and associated comments would be imported into these new subcategories. Moderator capabilities would be given to Blog owners.

As for playlists, I will be restoring them one at a time. The first is already finished, the second is being worked on right now. I expect to have all of them back online within a week or so.

As I said above, please be patient while I work on all of the necessary repairs. Getting the forums to where they are now has been a full-time job for the last couple of weeks.
What about content that was in a draft state?

In Blogs? All previous content is safe and sound. Backed up in triplicate. :)

Club 33

Playlist Author
Gotcha. Thanks Jay!

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
A replacement for our old member Blogs area is currently in progress! :cool:

Formerly active/popular blogs will all be receiving their own section within the newly created 'Solo' category of our forums. A number of inactive blogs/random entries will be moved into other preexisting forum sections.

As the replacement blogs begin to fill in, member comments will be turned back on, and the appropriate persons (Horizons, Club 33, eyore, wedroy1923, etc.) will be granted moderator capabilities for their individual areas, allowing them to create/edit/hide/unhide blog entries similar to how things worked with the old software. Hopefully, I can figure out which buttons, dials, and switches will make all of this possible! :LOL:

A total of 333 former blog entries and 987 associated comments are being manually inserted, one at a time, in a fairly complicated process, so please bare with me as this is going to take considerable time. :sleep:

I am hoping to reintroduce 10-20 entries/comments a day, as free time permits, but I make no promises. :p

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
looking forward to their return. Please don't forget that needmagic also requires access to our blog and also his DLRP special events blog needs to be amalgamated into the general DLRP blog as well as the MK and studios blogs.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
thank you