i tunes

Disney fans have a right to get upset about the lack of releases in the music and movie categories.

Just take an online stroll through Amazon to see just what DOES get released - silent films from the 1920s, obscure titles and bona fide bombs along the lines of "Killer Tomatoes," to long-forgotten full-length seasons of TV series such as "Isis."

"So Dear to My Heart" is not available on DVD? "The Light in the Forest"? On Disney's 40th anniversary TV special back in 1994, Glenn Close noted that "The Littlest Outlaw" was one of her favorite films from her childhood. Surely there are others that would like to own that?

I can buy a full-season of "Jason of Star Command," yet the Disney anthology series - 29 seasons, in the top 10 or top 20 of the ratings for many of those years - is off-limits and unavailable? And not only is it unavailable, but it's not even seen anywhere on television to reinforce demand! Would "The Andy Griffith Show" or "Bewitched" remain popular today if their studio owners had withdrawn them from the market 30 years ago, never to be seen again?

Even more insulting - if Walt Disney himself, the creator of the company that enables 30-year-old "geniuses" with MBAs to have a job there today - deemed it ok to greenlight and produce films like "Tonka" or "Emil and the Detectives," it's a crying shame that these films remain locked away when we have some disposable income and WANT to buy these things.

"Zorro" was a popular TV show, and Disney has taken to selling it and some of the older live-action films through their Disney Movie Club. I've had friends visit my house and see these titles and want to know where I got them, why they'd never heard about their release, and moreover, I've even seen resales on eBay get questioned as to their authenticity and if they're "bootlegs" or not.

And as for the economic reasons about a vintage Disney record on iTunes not selling as much as "High School Musical," if pure profit is the SOLE motive, then why pay people to work in the Disney Archives? Shut them down and sell it all off.

cschurr

wonderland you put into words exactly what I haven't been able to.

The only thing I can say is why are they just sitting on this gold mine of *stuff* that would cost a lot less to put out then another *something from a full length animated feature* II

I just don't get it, but then again, I don't have a suit. ;D

Just think, they could make a channel devoted to vintage disney stuff, show old specials and ALL the old stuff we have been talking about. Imagine vault disney 24/7 (hey not a bad name) Believe me, you guys are mad that this stuff isn't seeing the light of day, I was born in 1982 and never had the Disney channel! (it is pointless to get in right now) I would love to just SEE some of this stuff! I have the 40 years of tv special on tape and I would love to just see everything that is mentioned on that program.

On another subject, the Jim Henson Storyteller series was released to dvd and if fantastic if you haven't ever seen or heard of it. That is another program I heard about through a documentary and bought as soon as I saw it for sale.

I just don't get it! I don't! ???

MousekeTodd

Disney fans have a right to get upset about the lack of releases in the music and movie categories.

..."So Dear to My Heart" is not available on DVD? "The Light in the Forest"? On Disney's 40th anniversary TV special back in 1994, Glenn Close noted that "The Littlest Outlaw" was one of her favorite films from her childhood. Surely there are others that would like to own that?

I can buy a full-season of "Jason of Star Command," yet the Disney anthology series - 29 seasons, in the top 10 or top 20 of the ratings for many of those years - is off-limits and unavailable? And not only is it unavailable, but it's not even seen anywhere on television to reinforce demand! Would "The Andy Griffith Show" or "Bewitched" remain popular today if their studio owners had withdrawn them from the market 30 years ago, never to be seen again?

Even more insulting - if Walt Disney himself, the creator of the company that enables 30-year-old "geniuses" with MBAs to have a job there today - deemed it ok to greenlight and produce films like "Tonka" or "Emil and the Detectives," it's a crying shame that these films remain locked away when we have some disposable income and WANT to buy these things....

Bravo on your discourse on the Disney movie/television release dilemma!!!

HOW can new generations discover all of the gems -- sparkling, and not-so-sparkling -- of the Disney library if Disney doesn't broadcast them and/or release them on consumable media? There are shows *I* haven't even seen before, and I'm a passionate 39-year-old Disney movie fan!

I've finally resorted to purchasing titles on retro-VHS, just so I can have these movies -- I recently purchased "Big Red" and "The Littlest Outlaw" (the latter of which I've only READ about).

"Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow" VHS tapes go for big bucks on eBay. Disney surely knows that. There's a demand for it!! And I don't understand how in the world "So Dear to My Heart," one of Walt's personal favorites, is available in the England on a Region 2 disc, but cannot be found on American store shelves. It's not as if it's got to be translated!

Bill, and others, do you think there is a degree of embarrassment that prevents Disney from releasing these items? Are they perhaps afraid it would dilute the brand currently occupied by princesses and Pixar characters?

Gurgitoy2

"Birth of a Nation" is also availible on DVD, so there really isn't a good excuse, other than Disney's reputation as a "Family" studio.

David S.

Bill, and others, do you think there is a degree of embarrassment that prevents Disney from releasing these items? Are they perhaps afraid it would dilute the brand currently occupied by princesses and Pixar characters?

Why should they be embarassased by the "old" stuff? Anything produced in the Walt era is better than ANY of the rubbish currently airing regularly on the Disney channel ;) ;)

David,

I suggested 'embarrassed' due to the fact Disney seems to reluctant to release anything pre-1984, which, coincidentally, marks Eisner's debut as Disney CEO. Even though Michael made the Mouse lots of money, he seems to have shut down lots of extraneous ventures and I just wondered if it was due to embarrassment.

(Bill - thanks for the 411 regarding Eisner.)

>>Even though Michael made the Mouse lots of money, he seems to have shut down lots of extraneous ventures and I just wondered if it was due to embarrassment.

Dr. G

Hi all:

I don't post here much, basically because most people here know a lot more than I do about Disney music and I don't have much to offer. But, I try to read regularly and appreciate everyone's insight. I do love listening to Disney music and GREATLY appreciate all the material that has been made available in whatever form, especially music from the Disney Parks.

With regards to people who do or don't post here much anymore, I believe you can see when someone was last active (I assume that means when they last accessed the board, whether they posted or not) by clicking on their profile icon on one of their posts. Doing so may give insight into how much people do care, even if they don't or can't post.

So, if you're reading, THANKS!!!!!!

Dave