Help with The Great Movie Ride/The Land Track

David S.

There is a beautiful track with lush, swooping strings that I have heard in two different places in the parks:

I have heard it both inside the lobby of the Chinese Theatre at the studios and ALSO in the food court area of The Land. I'd love to know the name of this track and what film it is from. Hopefully its appearance in two of these loops will help the music loop experts figure out which piece of music I am referring to (unless several tracks appear on both loops).

An additional hint is it was used in the 2010 Winter Olympics by the German pair in the Pair's Figure Skating competition.

Any help identifying this track would be much appreciated!

Horizons

Playlist Author
I have heard it both inside the lobby of the Chinese Theatre at the studios and ALSO in the food court area of The Land.
I have a listing of the tracks/CDs used in the Land food court. Is there a youtube performance of its use at the Olympics that you can point to?

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
I have heard it both inside the lobby of the Chinese Theatre at the studios and ALSO in the food court area of The Land.
I have a listing of the tracks/CDs used in the Land food court. Is there a youtube performance of its use at the Olympics that you can point to?

Didn't watch the pairs but, if you remember their names, there's a list here
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/fsbiospairs.htm
If you click on the names, the music they use is listed in amongst all the other stuff.
May give you enough details to be pointed at the exact recording used in the park.

David S.

Wow, you guys are amazing!

Thanks to Horizons and Eyore for the help. It is indeed Out Of Africa (which I had never seen and was unfamiliar with).

I had wanted to know the track title for a few years when I first heard it in the Great Movie Ride lobby. Hearing it again this year in The Land, the GMR lobby again, and the Olympics all in the span of a few months prompted me to finally investigate.

Before going back home to New Orleans for the summer, I asked a few cast members at GMR and The Land if they could identify the track and even hummed it, but the film scores they suggested turned out to be incorrect.

Horizons, before posting the first time I looked for a clip from the Olympics on YouTube, but NBC seems very protective of their Olympic feed and couldn't find any (just as classic SNL clips never last long on YouTube). I did find a few of that pair skating in other events, but the music was different. However, typing in "Out Of Africa score" yielded this clip of the same pair with the music they used in the Olympics. The part that hooked me/stuck in my head from the parks begins at around the 3:30 mark of this clip:

It comes as no surprise to me that this is John Barry. I'm a big fan of his James Bond scores, even if I'm not a big fan of the films themselves :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all your help!

David

David S.

^Thanks!

Here's a link to a YouTube clip featuring the full and complete track as I remember hearing it in The Land food court and GMR Lobby, without the edits or the commentary interruptions heard in that skating clip. ;)

Also, as one who collects physical CDs rather than downloads, I am glad to see the actual CD is still in print - apparently there were two versions of the soundtrack issued, both still in print:

Out of Africa: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack
(12 tracks, original film recordings)

Out of Africa (Score)
(18 tracks, apparently a newer recording)

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
Your second YouTube video actually features "Out of Africa" from Out of Africa: The Classic John Barry. You can also find this selection on the 4-CD box set John Barry: The Collection - 40 Years of Film Music. Note the longer playing time vs the original soundtrack.

5157vpyKElL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
Out of Africa 4:29
City of Prague Philharmonic
Out of Africa: The Classic John Barry
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

31KCN9JHPDL._SL500_AA80_.jpg
Out of Africa 4:28
City of Prague Philharmonic
John Barry: The Collection - 40 Years of Film Music [Box Set]
 CD   iTunes   MP3 

ab16828fd7a026be03b8f010.L._AA80_.jpg
Main Title (I Had a Farm in Africa) 3:12