Help with "Carousel of Progress" please?

Gurgitoy2

Another question...

I've been curious about the various incarnations of the "Carousel of Progress", and I wanted to ask a few questions about the NY World's Fair and Disneyland versions.

Ok, first, the world's fair version. As you walk into the GE pavillion you heard the "Progressland Spectacular" track, right (and also on exiting)? Then, you made your way to the "Carousel of Progress", which was slightly different in narration than it's later Disneyland counterpart. After the final act, visitors went accross the stage and up a ramp into the hall of mirrors (which had another name, but I forget). This was where they heard the "Mirror Maze" tracks, right? After reaching the end of the ramp, this is where the "Skydome Spectacular" was shown. After that, visitors walked down a spiral ramp to the "Speedramp March" right? At the bottom of this ramp was the atom-splitting demonstration. After which, they were dumped out into the common area where you could view the "Toucan and Parrot Show", or visit "Medallion City" where the "Music to Buy Toasters By" played. Did I get all of this correct? I'm asking because I just want to get the continuity down.

Now, as for the Disneyland version. Once it moved accross the country it lost all of the other parts of the pavillion. So, did it lose "Progressland Spectacular" as it's entrance/exit song too? Did anything play outside the theater? Once inside, the narration changed a bit, but for the most part the show was very similar. Once the final act was over though, was this where they replaced the "Mirror Maze" tracks with the "Speedramp March"? And, instead of going up the ramp to see the "Skydome Spectacular", guests saw the "Progress City" model instead? Was that a Disneyland addition only? Was there anything to see after you saw "Progress City", or did you just exit the building?

Sorry for the long winded questions, but I've been wanting to know this stuff for a while, but finally decided to ask.

Thanks for any help,
Ben C.

Now, as for the Disneyland version. Once it moved accross the country it lost all of the other parts of the pavillion. So, did it lose "Progressland Spectacular" as it's entrance/exit song too? Did anything play outside the theater?
No.
Once inside, the narration changed a bit, but for the most part the show was very similar. Once the final act was over though, was this where they replaced the "Mirror Maze" tracks with the "Speedramp March"?
Yes.
And, instead of going up the ramp to see the "Skydome Spectacular", guests saw the "Progress City" model instead?
Yes.
Was that a Disneyland addition only? Was there anything to see after you saw "Progress City", or did you just exit the building?
After viewing Progress City, one exited the upper level and used the exterior walkway to return to Tomorrowland.

I hope that helps.

Howard

One of the cool things I loved about the DL version was going into the entry room and hearing "Welcome to the COP" and as the spiel went on the display in front lit up to his voice and music. I can't remeber what to call the effect, some light dispersal through geometric plastic design, but I do remember you could buy attachments (like speakers) to your stereo system that would do the same effect. Somebody help me with the name, I having a senior moment.... ;D

Ken

Gurgitoy2

Well, I know that the music track that played in the opening act was called "Kaleidophonic Opening", so maybe that's the name for the light effects that were used to create the pulsing, changing light show?

Ben,

You should get the Persistence of Vision issue on the World's Fair. It will answer many of your music questions.

Gurgitoy2

I've heard about that magazine, I just haven't been able to get it. One of these days I'll find one.

Man, I gotta arrange my stuff :eek:. I just found the Worlds Fair POV issue on the shelf. I had forgotten I had it. Great article in the back about the World's Fair music including answering my question:

"The music would then drive a color organ, a device which converts audio signals into varying intensities of light, which controlled a large array of colored bulbs at the front of the theater, dubbed the "Kaleidoscopic Curtain"
POV #6/7 page 134

I've heard about that magazine, I just haven't been able to get it. One of these days I'll find one

Ben, I can lend this issue to you I you would like. Let me know.

Ken

Ben...just sell your extra copy of The Daytime History of Tokyo Disneyland presents the Super Rare Special Edition Show Mix of Cinderellabration Digs DJMasterMickeyBoy Orgel Surprise WeightCafe@100 and buy the d*mn magazine! You will thank me for the tough love...I assure you.

Scott

Why would TDL's Cinderellabration be on a daytime history? ;)

You weren't thinking of the Readymade Strings Fantasy Music Box Super Best Electone Sound Carnival version, were you? :)

Gurgitoy2

>>Ben...just sell your extra copy of The Daytime History of Tokyo Disneyland presents the Super Rare Special Edition Show Mix of Cinderellabration Digs DJMasterMickeyBoy Orgel Surprise WeightCafe@100 and buy the d*mn magazine! You will thank me for the tough love...I assure you.

According to Paul Anderson's Persistence of Vision website(last updated 5/04), the World's Fair issue is still available(I've been meaning to order one myself)--with a price tag of $30! If the issue is not "in stock", he'll sell you a copy of it, if that's acceptable.

Mike

Eric,
Thanks for the link. Even has a picture of the Kaleidophonic Screen. I saw it at DL while it was there.
It was so "Groovy" ;D The lights would get bright and red when the rocket noise came on. Soft and blue with the quiet symphony music. Too bad they don't bring it back at WDW.

Ken

Horizons

Playlist Author
There are numerous tracks from COP - Disneyland and Progressland that have been in circulation. However, does anyone have a complete list, and in order, of the various tracks used in the two attractions (possibly with running times)? Thanks.

FRAN?OIS

Ben,

You should get the Persistence of Vision issue on the World's Fair. It will answer many of your music questions.

May I recommend this place in England that carries issues of Persistance of Vision?

http://www.bookpalace.com/acatalog/Home_Pe...agazine_29.html

I've recently done business with them and was totally satisfied. The prices are right, their services are fast and reliable, and my books arrived in very good shape... as good as if I had bought them up at the store!

I'm not sure if Mr Anderson sells the past issues since he does not seem to care at all about the people who read his fantastic publication...
It's been SO MANY years that we've been waiting for a new issue!.....

There are numerous tracks from COP - Disneyland and Progressland that have been in circulation. However, does anyone have a complete list, and in order, of the various tracks used in the two attractions (possibly with running times)? Thanks.

Seems like additional tracks are coming to light fairly often now....make sure u check out the karaoke cd for the park....it has the "rotation" music with chorus only

Horizons

Playlist Author
What I am looking for is a listing of the tracks (with running times) from the World's Fair, compared to the tracks from the Disneyland Version of the attraction.

Thanks