Fantasyland Attractions

B

Bill

Does anyone know the degree to which original soundtrack material was used in the Fantasyland attractions? I suspect that the intro to Heigh Ho is used in Snow White and the Dwarfs Yodeling Song....but did any of the other rides actually use elements from the film soundtracks? Does it differ by park?

Thanks,

Bill

X-S Tech

I know that the Unbirthday song that accompanies the Mad Tea Party at DL is the original from the film. Beyond that I would guess that the stuff for Peter Pan, Pinocchio and Toad were rerecorded, though this is just a guess. They sound very close but not exact. Snow White seems to use tracks that more closely match the film, but I don't know for sure.

I'm not 100% sure that The Unbirthday Song played at The Mad Tea Party wasn't also rerecorded. I've been searching high and low for this music, but haven't found it all yet.

There is a slight variation in the music from the soundtrack and the attraction (which can be found at http://soundofmagic.com). I believe the reason is that the master no longer exists. In the Classic Soundtrack Series CD for Alice in Wonderland, part of the music has dialog included, because the "music only" score no longer existed (it happens in a couple of places on the disc). I think that this portion was rerecorded for the attraction.

If anyone can confirm this, I would greatly appreciate it. And if it's available anywhere, please let me know.

s8ntmark

I seem to remember reading quite a few years ago in Disney Magazine (It was a story about the New Fantasyland) where they said that the Unbirthday song was rerecorded. I remember them mentioning that they had to either redesign or use these funky looking instruments to recreate the sounds of the tea pots in the song.

Does anyone else remember this article?

Hope that helps a little.

Mark!

W

wondergreg

I recall that the music for the New Fantasyland attractions was created by John Debney under the direction of Les Perkins when he was with WDI. Apparently, Debney had to reconstruct the scores from Alice from scratch by listening to them and picking out the instrumentation. The new stuff is all in stereo. The theme music in the queue area, though is the soundtrack, I think.

X-S Tech

OK I was going to refrain from posting any more on this subject because I really didn't have any definative answers and I suspect that there's a lot of speculation going on, but I know that the queue music for Alice is NOT from the film, it is newly recorded. That much is obvious from listening to it. As for the rest of the attractions I couldn't tell ya...

brilligowen

a ALICE MUSIC EFFECTS TRACKS DOES EXCIST IT IS ON THE BOXED LASER DISC SET ON ONE OF THE AUDIO TRACKS-IT IS THE
MUSIC ONLY TRACK-.-THE VOCAL ONLY TRACK DOES NOT EXCIST ANY LONGER...

Excuse me, brilligowen; what?

I can confirm X-S Tech's comments regarding the queue music for Alice.

brilligowen

losers- i dont need children making judgements of someone they dont know what a joke.........................cant spell ritalin either

almandot

It was always my understanding that the alice queue music was from the movie. Hence why you hear things like the paint bucket splash sound effects during painting the roses red, etc.. Nowadays it'd all be archived with separate tracks and layers and they could remove it but back then they were stuck with it.

John; all kidding aside, we're not looking to make enemies here. Consider it friendly banter as we're all here for the same reason.

Could anyone advise if the 1998 Classic Soundtrack release and the 2006 Soundtrack Import version are one and the same?

Rich T

As an old geezer who rode the pre-1983 versions of Alice, Toad, Snow White, and Peter Pan a LOT, I can tell you this much...and here, I'm talking only about the original versions of these DL dark rides:

ALICE: The queue music was the title track from the film, looped over and over and over again...Poor ride operators! The rabbit hole (pitch black in that version) and upside down room had no music. The oversize room just featured the cheshire cat's laugh looped continuously. The flower garden used an edited version of the film soundtrack. Tulgey Wood featured Sterling Holloway's film rendition of "T'was Brillig," looped continuously. The Tea Party scene had the opening verse of the Unbirthday Song as heard in the film. The crash room, pointing signs and screaming doors that made up the finale featured nothing but explosions, screams, and Alice crying out, "Oh dear...how do I get out? I'VE LOST MY WAAAAYYYY!"

Man, what a wonderfully freaky ride that was in its original incarnation. :) BTW, the voice of all four screaming doors (Though the last was really just the keyhole) was the Goofy yell played at different speeds, ending with the classic yell we all know and love. I was very glad when they kept that element for the final crash through the playing cards in the remodel...and even happier when Randy included it on the dark ride suite.

Peter Pan used the film version of "You can Fly" throughout the london and neverland rooms...I remember my friend and I comenting how lame it was that you could hear Nana barking in the song as you flew over Neverland.

Mr. Toad originally used no music in the ride except for the Merrily Song which played in the first couple of rooms. I believe it was the same rerecording used in the queue, but I'm not certain.

The only music I remember from the Snow White Ride was the opening instrumental portion of "Heigh Ho" which played in the diamond mine at the beginning. I'm fairly certain it was the soundtrack version.

I'll try to remember more before it fades away. :)

Rich T

My pleasure, Bill. It didn't hurt that, like a true 1970's Disney geek, I took my panasonic portable cassette player on Toad and Alice and listened to the recording over and over again (Wish I still had that tape!)

One thing became very noticeable on the tape: Mr. Toad used to feature a Motorcycle Cop (parked where the sheep herder currently stands) who'd kick start his bike as you approached. As you u-turned onto the wharf, you heard his siren coming after you. Simple and very effective. Listening to the tape, I could hear the siren each time it blasted, throughout the ride. I remember I could even hear the siren outside the ride while waiting in line.

Me and my cassette player...drawing weird looks from ride operators throughout the land!