DLR Notes 2.15.09

Club 33

Playlist Author
Just got back from my first "real" trip of the year. While I didn't get much as far as recording I did see and discover some interesting things...

~The picture on MuppetVision looked great- did they switch to digital projection? Can't remember. The best part, though, was that both before and after the film the hostess referred to our 3D glasses as "safety glasses" (this is funny because MV is the only Disney 3D film where they actually call them "3D glasses"- at HISTA they're "safety glasses", at ITTBAB they're "bug eyes", and at Philharmagic they're "opera glasses".

~During lunch at Storytellers I paid attention to the music loop for the first time. I was able to identify one track, "Blow the Man Down", which I remember hearing on the DLRP CD "Une Journee a Disneyland Paris", from memory, and another track from the Cinderella soundtrack using Shazam. Based on my obervations, there are 3 loops in the hotel, a lobby loop, one loop for Storytellers and one loop for Napa Rose.

Since all three of them are nearly impossible to record I went to hotel guest relations, who directed me to park guest relations. They did not have a list. Rather, the conversation went like this:

Me: "So do you have track information for any of the music loops at the resort?"
CM: "No, but there's a website you can go to I think... [looks in a little book on her desk] ...ah yes here."

She wrote down the url and gave it to me. What did it say? www.disneymusicloops.com

Yes, that's right folks. Disney is directing people to disneymusicloops.com.

~I'm not sure how recent this is, but the mic feed from the band/vocalist that plays intermittently along the waterfront in New Orleans Square (not the Bootstrappers, which play on Tom Sawyer Island) plays on all of the speakers along the Rivers of America as well as in some of the speakers on the second story of New Orelans Square. I've noticed that 90% of the live entertainment at the resort that uses amplification can actually be recorded via induction- one of these days I'm going to go around and record all of them.

~I rode the new It's a Small World for the first time. The changes aren't awful, I suppose- with the exception of the abbreviated rainforest scene and new America scene you could basically ignore them without much effort. I'd say the biggest issue, appropriately enough for this forum, is the music- each character has playing with it some music from his or her respective film, and while they tried to change the keys and tempos to make it fit with the main theme it just doesn't work. Problematically, the new music is too quiet to enjoy or really listen to properly, and loud enough to clash with the music around it. I suppose the biggest issue with the additions is that they dont really add anything- the ride isn't better, or more interesting or more worthwhile or immersive. What the new additions do do is confuse and destroy the storyline- if it's about the people of the world coming together, where on earth do the characters fit in? It just doesn't follow logically. They've taken a ride that was actually about something and turned it into a ride about nothing. The biggest deal? No. But I would have like to have seen that money spent elsewhere.

So that you can judge for yourself, as least as far as the music is concerned, here is a binaural recording I made (headphones, please!):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oia1q9

~Through some further research I've got a new idea for a better way to record Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. Gonna take some work but could have some interesting results- gonna leave it at that for now.

In other news there's the matter of the queue music loop. The issue is that it does not, in fact, play in the queue at all, it only plays in the loading area, and as a result is almost completely impossible to record. I did manage to get a rough live recording of about 10 minutes of it. What I want to figure out is whether it's the same as some of the WDW loops (like the Seas with Nemo and Friends loop) or something original to the attraction. If someone can tell me positively one way or another, that would be great.

Here's that recording:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/glany8

~I finally solved the mystery of that A Bug's Life Suite track on the Disneyland OA, which didn't seem to be in the A Bug's Land loop at all. The answer? There's another loop! While the outer A Bug's Land/Bountiful Valley Farm area seems to play music from the official soundtrack, as soon as you enter Flik's Fun Fair there's another loop. I did make a complete recording of that- it's clearly not needledrop and that track from the OA is in there. Confusingly, however, when I walked out of FFF and back into the former area the same music seemed to be playing. Further investigation will be needed. At any rate, my recording of the FFF loop sounds very muddy so I'll have to do it again.

I finally confirmed that there are in fact three Space Mountain loops. The first loop plays outside of the mountain and is just the Com Chat. Upon entering the interior queue there is a second loop which is the Com Chat mixed with the safety video every 30 seconds or so. Then as you exit into the photo area there's a third loop which is just the spacey sounding effects on it's own (the Giaccino exit music does not play anywhere).

While the second loop (Com Chat and Safety Video) is easy to record, the other two or not. The Com Chat only loop only plays from cieling speakers that are both A) right over the queue and :mellow: in full view of CMs. At Horizons' request, I did make a 9 minute live recording. I'm not entirely sure if I captured the whole thing or not, nor am I sure if it's the same as the WDW version. We'll have to see. I think an induction recording is possible, but it will have to wait for a day when the park is much less busy and the exterior queue is empty. The exit loop is a differenr problem; easy to record but all of the speakers are right in the center of the very narrow exit hallway, so you can't record it without getting in people's way. What I really need for that is for the attraction to close temporarily when I happen to be in the area, so that there's nobody exiting- not a terribly unlikely occurrence, so we'll see.

~I made a short recording of the Lanai area music for the Enchanted Tiki Room. It's tricky because the loop only plays in between the end of the Tiki Garden Show and the beginning of the Dole Pinapple film (about a 7 minute period every 15 minutes or so). I think the tracks are needledrop but my attempts to identify them so far have been unsuccessful. There's also no way to tell how long the loop is- the only thing I can do is make many recordings when the loop is playing and then cut them all together where they overlap.

~As it turns out, the Phantom Manor Music Box track that plays in the HMH queue during the holiday season plays in the Fastpass area all year round, even though the area is closed to guests. You can still walk in there if you're willing to walk through the exit. If you are a sticker and want to get in there without breaking any rules, do this: go on the attraction, enter the building, go through the stretching rooms. When you get to the portrait hall, take the "chicken exit" on your left before the busts. This will take you through some hallways, then you'll exit through the door by the Crypts that the queue overlooks. Walking by the crypts you'll be taken through the fastpass area in order to exit back into NoS. Fair and square! Course if you're hanging around in there and a CM notices you I'm sure the circumstances that led to your entry into the area will not be the issue under discussion.

~I'm fully convinced that a stereo recording of the main Paradise Pier loop is possible. Unfortunately, the speakers are way out in the open so, again, need to wait for an off-day, and then probably do it very early in the morning or late at night.

~Recording the lobby music for Disneyland, the First 50 Magical Years is actually harder than I thought. Maybe even impossible induction-wise. Doesn't really matter though because it's all theme park music, all that needs to be done is identify it.

~There appears to be a loop of music that plays only in the fort at the entrance to Frontierland. I could only find one speaker that was playing it, and very quietly. It's more rustic sounding than the main Frontierland loop, which is mainly movie soundtracks.

~I made a really good recording of the Tomorrowland Area Music Loop- 10 seconds of it anyway. It's a really difficult loop to record- thusfar the only accessible speaker I can find is on the bottom of the Peoplemover track where it crosses over the outdoor Space Mountain queue. You have to actually leave the queue and walk over there to get to it, and then the surface the speaker is on is slanted. Again, gotta wait until there's no one around.

As usual, I left the resort having added more things to my To Do list than I completed. At any rate, I'm getting more intimately familiar with the details of the park, audio-wise, and I've certainly got plenty to do in 2009.

Horizons

Playlist Author
Just got back from my first "real" trip of the year. While I didn't get much as far as recording I did see and discover some interesting things...

Now you're stealing my Music Notes copyrighted idea! :p

Yes, that's right folks. Disney is directing people to disneymusicloops.com.

This is hilarious and sad at the same time.

What I want to figure out is whether it's the same as some of the WDW loops (like the Seas with Nemo and Friends loop) or something original to the attraction. If someone can tell me positively one way or another, that would be great.

From what I can tell from the recording, it's the same as the exterior music loop at the Seas with Nemo and Friends.

At any rate, my recording of the FFF loop sounds very muddy so I'll have to do it again.

I hate when this happens. Yesterday, I recorded a loop for 2 1/2 hours that has a ton of skips in it.

I finally confirmed that there are in fact three Space Mountain loops. The first loop plays outside of the mountain and is just the Com Chat. Upon entering the interior queue there is a second loop which is the Com Chat mixed with the safety video every 30 seconds or so. Then as you exit into the photo area there's a third loop which is just the spacey sounding effects on it's own (the Giaccino exit music does not play anywhere).

I was able to confirm the second loop is not in the same order, dialog wise, compared to the WDW version. What music is playing in the 3rd loop?

At Horizons' request, I did make a 9 minute live recording. I'm not entirely sure if I captured the whole thing or not, nor am I sure if it's the same as the WDW version.

I don't seem to recall requesting anything "live." :mellow:

I think the tracks are needledrop but my attempts to identify them so far have been unsuccessful. There's also no way to tell how long the loop is- the only thing I can do is make many recordings when the loop is playing and then cut them all together where they overlap.

How muck Tiki material is there to record?

I'm fully convinced that a stereo recording of the main Paradise Pier loop is possible.

You are still on this stereo recording kick? Give it up my friend! Mono is the way to go.

There appears to be a loop of music that plays only in the fort at the entrance to Frontierland.

Now this is something of interest! What can you get in the way of a recording?

Club 33

Playlist Author
Well, you know the spacey sound effects that play under the Com Chat loop? The third loop is just that alone, without any voices.

And hey, it's better than nothing! I'll get complete inductions of all of them... eventually.

Glad to hear that the Nemo music loop appears to be the same as the Epcot version... saves me some trouble. I think I'll try lining up my live recording to the recording I have of the Seas loop just to make sure.

As I said, I have no idea how long the lanai music loop is. For all I know it could be 10 minutes long, seeing as it only plsys in short 6 minute or so segments; I have a feeling it's longer though, I'm guessing about 15 minutes. It is definitely comprised of several seperate tracks. Here's a recording I made a couple years back:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t8uvl0

Give up stereo? Never!

I'll have to do some further investigation as far as the Frontierland loop is concerned; the speaker playing it seemed very quiet so I don't know how good of an induction recording can be made.

almandot

You know how some professors put little comic strips like Calvin and Hobbes, Garfield, Cathy, etc.. on their office doors for passerbyers to read, I bet Randy puts printouts of conversations like these on his.

Are the space sounds under the com chat the same as the file named something like spacey sounds?

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Interesting note regarding the fort music.
DLRP has a fort loop (not needledrop and all instrumental - stuff like "yellow Rose of Texas" and Ballad of Davy Crockett") whilst the main area loop is the usual movie theme music (Magnificent 7, Big Country etc).
I haven't been able to either record the loop or sit through it (grumbling family syndrome) to check if it's the same as plays in the BTMR exit area though.
I wonder if they use the same loops in DLRP that you heard.
Must try an induction recording this year if I can reach that speaker on the high walkway where it turns the corner (no CMs up there and a nice rail to lean on - it's in a wooden crate - but a small one).

almandot

The frontierland fort loop has been talked about on micechat before I think because someone asked about it remembering a time when it that area had its own music.. I think it's been listed or downloadable before but I've never gone and went listening for it myself. Where was it playing? By the atm, the christmas shop, or the general gift shop? Or somewhere else..

Club 33

Playlist Author
I lined up my live recording of the FNSV queue loop to an induction recording of the Seas with Nemo and Friends loop and I can confirm that they are in fact the same- which is a relief (one less thing for me to record, and it would have been quite a difficult one). Incidentally my recording starts roughly 47 minutes into the loop; it's essentially the last 10 minutes.

Club 33

Playlist Author

DavidG

DLRP has a fort loop (not needledrop and all instrumental - stuff like "yellow Rose of Texas" and Ballad of Davy Crockett") whilst the main area loop is the usual movie theme music (Magnificent 7, Big Country etc).
I haven't been able to either record the loop or sit through it (grumbling family syndrome) to check if it's the same as plays in the BTMR exit area though.

The DLRP loop consists of only four tracks, all of which are part of the WDW Frontierland loop that's circulating. They are:

- Ghost Riders in the Sky
- Back in the Saddle Again
- Pecos Bill
- Yellow Rose of Texas

So, it's completely seperate from the BTM loop, but it does share three tracks with the Shooting Gallery loop (that is, all except Pecos Bill).

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
The DLRP loop consists of only four tracks, all of which are part of the WDW Frontierland loop that's circulating. They are:

- Ghost Riders in the Sky
- Back in the Saddle Again
- Pecos Bill
- Yellow Rose of Texas

So, it's completely seperate from the BTM loop, but it does share three tracks with the Shooting Gallery loop (that is, all except Pecos Bill).

Thanks for that - that explains quite a lot. I obtained a file marked "frontierland loop" which I uploaded to Rodentsections as I recognized some of the tracks from the fort. I was new to this and got several conflicting opinions about it (from "great, I know this one" to "that's not even from Paris") so I removed it. The tracks corresponded to what was on my video and, having been many times, presumed I just visited the fort at the "wrong" times and missed something.
It's been worrying me for years as to which was what. Now I know. Thanks.
I take it the frontierland loop isn't genuine then? If it is, do you happen to have the track listing? There's not many about for DLRP - even on disneymusicloops.

DavidG

I take it the frontierland loop isn't genuine then? If it is, do you happen to have the track listing? There's not many about for DLRP - even on disneymusicloops.

I take it you're referring to the WDW Frontierland loop? I think it is genuine, but only as far as WDW is concerned. At DLRP, elements of that loop are used in several locations in different order and with slightly different edits for two tracks (replacing solo instruments by whistling). You can find these tracks in the Fort Comstock Area Loop, the Legends of the Wild West scenes (single tracks edited down to short loops here), Rustler Roundup Shootin' Gallery and the Cottonwood Creek/Cowboy Cookout Barbecue area. I'm almost sure that I've also heard Pecos Bill at Fuente del Oro once, but I'm not too sure on that. So... which of these track listings are you talking about?

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
It's OK. You have actually answered my question in a round-about way.
In DLRP there are, as you say, several areas where the needledrop area loop (mag.7/Big country etc) is replaced by more western-sounding audio (guitar banjo harmonica).
Disneymusicloops gives a listing for the BTM queue area (got that) and I have the Keelboat loop and you have given me details of the Fort Comstock loop (which I have as part of the other loop).
So I am presuming that the other areas (shootin' gallery etc) are just using selected parts of the WDW loop as well (which I have)?

That was the problem, you see. I had a loop marked DLP Frontierland Loop which, on checking, appeared to be the same as he WDW one but, not having made a full recording in DLP, I had nothing to check it against other than my memory.
Certainly, some of the tracks were the same but I only had short recordings.
The fact that they use some of the WDW loop obviously made me think that the full loop played in DLP - and in all those sections - as well, without realizing that they had actually split the loop up to cover different areas (which is what I think you are saying).
I hope you can follow that :)

DavidG

The fact that they use some of the WDW loop obviously made me think that the full loop played in DLP - and in all those sections - as well, without realizing that they had actually split the loop up to cover different areas (which is what I think you are saying).

That's about right. Generally they took pieces from the WDW loop and mixed them with tracks from other sources. WDI does that a lot, actually, mixing and matching single tracks for different loops in different parks... The DLRP Keelboats use music from Splash Mountain. When I visited Epcot two weeks ago, I heard some DLRP tracks in the World Showcase area. I've noticed single tracks from the WDW 20,000 Leagues BGM in the American Waterfront area at Tokyo DisneySea. Our Big Thunder uses tracks from The Land and the Mile Long Bar BGM, etc.

To pick up another topic you mention here's a complete list of the Area BGM loops heard around DLRP's Frontierland:

Fort Comstock Area BGM
Thunder Mesa Area BGM (I've seen this one called Frontierland Loop A, I think, and it consists mostly of Western movie soundtracks)
Lucky Nugget Saloon BGM (honky-tonk piano, I believe this also plays at Last Chance Cafe)
Silver Spur Steakhouse BGM (more subdued, elegant music)
Rustler Roundup Shootin' Gallery BGM
Big Thunder Mountain Queue BGM
Fuente del Oro BGM (Mexican guitar)
Cowboy Cookout Barbecue / Cottonwood Creek Area / Frontierland Depot BGM (this one uses pieces from the WDW loop along with other tracks)

Inside Chaparral Theater you'll generally hear music from Heigh-ho Banjo and similar CD albums before shows, and there was a short-lived Woody's Roundup Village BGM consisting of soundtrack cues from Toy Story 2 and Home on the Range as well as Riders in the Sky tracks. That's been replaced by the Frontierland A loop now. The Keelboats/Pocahontas/Pueblo area uses ambient noises and short excerpts of Native American chants. Around Phantom Manor you can hear the Haunted Mansion load music without bells (you used to hear the bride vocals here). And apart from the music inside the attractions, that's about it.

So there you go, I guess that's more about Frontierland BGM than you ever cared to know...

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Nope, that's great.
I now know what areas I'm missing so induction mic at the ready ;) (together with ordinary mic) - and mini-disc recorder primed for action!
I'd always presumed I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I do need to find a couple of the Frontierland A BGMs though as I'm unsure about the actual source and disneymusicloops has 3 tracks missing and a few gaps in the sources as well.
I've reconstructed most of it from the CDs (most of it's on just 3 CDs).
There is a very accessible speaker for that loop (right next to a seat and table - just a few inches away and the speaker gives a good induction recording but, alas, family cries of "are we going on a ride today?" have prevented me getting more than a few minutes of it at a time). maybe this year.
As you have probably guessed, I'm new to induction recording (and the live recordings are so disappointing with all the crowd noise) but not many "do" DLRP at the moment.
That phantom manor one, is that from the speakers on the slope from the exit? There used to be the bride doing that rather nice musical wail there (the music was off there this year when I went).

X-S Tech

Club 33, if you ever get a chance, check out the music being piped into the Mark Twain loading dock. There have been speakers there forever, but for several years the music was silent, either on mute or not playing at all. It's only started playing again in the last few months. I'd love an induction of it if you ever get a chance. It's unique and isn't played on the ship or anywhere else that I can identify.

Club 33

Playlist Author
Club 33, if you ever get a chance, check out the music being piped into the Mark Twain loading dock. There have been speakers there forever, but for several years the music was silent, either on mute or not playing at all. It's only started playing again in the last few months. I'd love an induction of it if you ever get a chance. It's unique and isn't played on the ship or anywhere else that I can identify.

Interesting! Thanks X-S. I'm always on the lookout for unique music that has yet to be captured. There is also, of course, the music that plays on the Twain- some of which I've recorded, but I don't know how much of it there is.