Disneyland Forever?

I've been to Disneyland twice in the last month and, unfortunately, the kiosks have been dead both times. I checked in the morning and afternoon on Saturday April 20th and was there the last week of March. Both times the screens were dark and the employee in the store had no idea when they were last on or if they'd ever be on again. I think the system might have departed us entirely. If Disney were to take this endeavour over themselves instead of having it administered by an outside company I think it would be beneficial to all of us here at the forum. They DID just go digital with the 100 Mickeys project in the Disneyland Gallery above Pirates and I think this is a totally in-house affair so it's a possiblity that Disney could take it over themselves hopefully with the help of the record company and Imagineering.

Shane

I was at DL on 3/23 and on 4/21 and experienced the same thing - dark screened kiosks sitting idle. The 20th Century Music Co. cast member was of the opinion that they were never going to be used again. :'(

Gurgitoy2

Or how about "Disneyland For Now", or "Disneyland Sometimes", or even "Disneyland For a While".

Ben C.

Yep, they're gone from WDW, too! I'm glad my son and I made the CD's we did, when we could! I'm just mad that I would always say to myself--OK, I'll save these tracks for another "Splash Mountain CD," or another "Big Thunder CD" next visit, thinking the kiosks would ALWAYS be there, because I thought that it was such a wonderful idea making all that music available!!! WRONG! Is anyone privy to the reason why the kiosks were left to slowly whither away? Michael.

Dirk

It's sad to hear that the Forever-system has gone. But I wonder: what happened to the PotC-CD and the HM-CD that RedDot-Net produced? Basically both were products based on the Forever-System but they were prefabricated to be bought over the counter without the guest actually using the system and as far as I could judge they seemed to sell very, very well. So are these two CDs gone too or are they still selling them??

Yours
Dirk

Good point, Dirk--we were just at WDW last month--the Pirates/Haunted Mansion CD's are still being sold! With all the incredible excesses of repetitive merchandise being sold at the parks, you think they could have kept something as unique as the CD kiosks going...just upsetting. Michael.

SharonKurland

My guess would be that Disney had Red Dot produce "X" number of thousands of copies of the HM and PoTC CD's and they're not gone yet, so they're still selling 'em. It's one thing to "destroy" a system that makes CD's from scratch...maybe those were paid for by piecemeal, since the number of CD's to be made was an undeteriminate sum. It's another thing to destroy product that's already completed and paid for.

-Sharon-

Shane

As I understood her post, this was merely one of five rumors that she had overheard and I might add, the only good one. The other four spelled certain doom for the system and any one of these seem far more plausible, especially since the kiosks no longer exist at WDW.

Shane

Believe me, this is one time when I'd really like to be proven wrong. I couldn't believe it when I first read that though. Then, since it sounded too good to be true, I figured I'd better check it out for myself. Oh well, I still haven't given up all hope.

jbponzi

I am rather disappointed with the discontinuation of the WDW Forever kiosks and would not be surprised by the same at Disneyland.

Unfortunately this program was not a widespread success in the eyes of Merchandising. It really was a niche market and Disney is definitely moving away from that group. The belief is that merchandise needs to be developed on a grander scale and more general in terms of design and presentation. Ask yourself, just how long it has been since there an abundant amount of area specific merchandise.

When I first heard about DLF in 1998 I could not wait and then got my chance when the kiosks were setup at the 1998 Disneyana Convention. I was one of the their first guests and I bought every single track and had to come back later in the week when the Submarine Voyage was added. Overall a total of 15 CD's.

Likewise when WDW started their program the following spring. I again bought everything and continued to add to the collection as new items were made available. When I visit either park, my database accompanies me so I can recall what I have in the collection.

I will miss this great program and hope ta someday it will return.

-Justin