MitchB

I was listing to the early 90's Disneyland/WDW-Epcot
park CD, and I was trying to figure out who did the
voice of the Dreamfinder. Anybody know? The voice
sounds so familiar but I can't seem to place it. I kind
of reminds of one of the characters on "Tennessee
Tuxedo" back in the 60's. It's just bugging me and
I thought maybe someone might know. ???

Chuck McCann (I believe) voiced Dreamfinder in the segment you are talking about. After having struggles with Disney, Ron (not Rob) Schneider took his place and voiced the unload speil and science loop. :)

Gurgitoy2

MitchB, if you watched Ducktales in the 80's, then you recognize his voice from that show too. He voiced "Duckworth", Uncle Scrooge's Butler. Oh yeah, and the Beagle Boys.

In addition to being a legend of children's TV in the New York area, Chuck's also done scores of commercials over the years and back in the 70s his most visible ones were Right Guard commericals where he was the obnoxious guy on the other side of a shared medicine cabinet always stealing the other person's Right Guard.

W

wondergreg

Re:Dreamfinder Question

Regarding the "Tennessee Tuxedo" connection, you're thinking of Larry Storch as Phineas T. Whoopee. This voice, like Dreamfinder's, is based on the voice of Frank Morgan in "The Wizard of Oz." The recently-passed cartoon voice great Lionel Wilson also used a similar voice for Cuckoo Man on Ralph Bakshi's "Mighty Heroes" series in the mid-60's. By the way, Figment's first voice was the late, great Billy Barty, and is now Dave Goelz of The Muppets.

Plug, plug... If anyone is looking for more information on Chuck McCann (whether or not he was the Dreamfinder), you will find him, along with several hundred other local children's show hosts, in that eminent work HI THERE, BOYS & GIRLS! AMERICA'S LOCAL CHILDREN'S TV PROGRAMS, published by the University Press of Mississippi in 2001. It is still available through Amazon.com. Modesty prevents me from telling you what a great job the author did on it, but I am sure I.. that is, he.. will do another fantastic job on the upcoming history of Walt Disney Records.. oh yeah, I.. that is, he.. has a co-author on that one, so it should be TWICE as good!

Now, back to our regular programming.

SharonKurland

> legend of children's TV in the New York area

I grew up in the NYC area with strong memories from 1970 and on...curious about what did he do in NY that I would know? I looked at IMBD and didn't see anything "local" that was familiar.

-Sharon-
Bklyn NY - March 1966 - February 1976
Staten Island - February 1976 - November 2000

Chuck mostly worked in NY during the 50s and 60s. I have a Channel 5 retrospective special from 1984 that shows clips of him on a program hosted by Sandy Becker. One of the characters he played was called Bombo. On Channel 11, he hosted a show called "Let's Have Fun" (1959-1966).

By the 70s Chuck wasn't doing any regular programs in New York anymore and was mostly doing commercials and guest shots on other programs (including a "Columbo" episode where he gets bumped off by Robert Culp).

W

wondergreg

Re:Dreamfinder Question

Your connection to TENNESSEE TUXEDO is correct, because, like McCann and Schneider, Phineas T. Whoopee was an impression of Frank Morgan in THE WIZARD OF OZ. Another variation was Lionel Wilson's Cuckoo Man on Ralph Bakshi's THE MIGHTY HEROES for Terrytoons in the 60's.

SharonKurland

Ah OK...so he was doing the local NY stuff before my time. Wow....at 37, "before my time" doesn't happen a whole lot anymore .
Thanks!
-Sharon-