CD music editing software

X-S Tech

I just got my first CD R-W drive and I have some questions which maybe some of you can help me with. Two of the things I intend to do with it are transfering some of my cassettes to CD's and editing together several selections into one track (possibly fading from one to another to create a flow thru). What I got was a TDK VeloCD, which came with TDK Digital Mixmaster software. Can anyone tell me if I can do these things with what I have? If not, what software is available?
Thanks for any help.

thx99

Real-life Harry Caul
Playlist Author
I'm not sure what the TDK software packages are capable of, but there are several audio editing programs out there which would easily allow you to create a master track from individual files as well as record in other audio sources (cassettes, LPs, etc.).

Some of the ones I work with on a daily basis...
1. Sound Forge 6.0 - one of the most popular audio editors
$400 (full-blown version, http://www.sonicfoundry.com/products/NewSh...uct.asp?PID=668)
$60 (slimmer Studio version, http://www.sonicfoundry.com/products/NewSh...uct.asp?PID=718)

2. Cool Edit Pro - $250, another popular audio editing package; http://www.syntrillium.com/cep/

3. GoldWave - $55, one of the simplest editing programs to use; http://www.goldwave.com

Interesting topic--I was asking Will about this a few months ago. I'm primarily interested in "cleaning up" the pops and tics from LP's, for recording onto CD-R's. Will had read some material about the syntrillium.com products(which I haven't tried as of yet)--has anyone used the Cool Edit Pro, or other software for cleaning up vinyl recordings? Mike.

Zarpman

I can vouch for Cool Edit Pro. It's what I use to create all of my mixes and shows on MagicTrips Radio. It's a tad slower than some of the other applications, but very easy and user friendly.

My version doesn't have any CD-burning support built it. I still have to record and clean up the audio tracks, save them as WAV files, and burn them with an external application. I use Nero for that.

Thank you, zarpman--key words for me, "very easy, user friendly," as I'm definitely not a techno-person--yet, anyway! So with Cool Edit Pro, you store the cleaned-up recordings as files, then burn them using your computer's CD burner? What's Nero(sorry!)? Mike.

Alex K

Another vote for Cool Edit Pro. Z?rpman, I was wondering what tools you used on MagicTrips, thanks for revealing what editor you use, and a BIG THANKS for the EPCOT anniversary show!

Mike, I also use NERO exclusively for CD burning, however whatever came with your drive is probably okay. If you are interested, you can check http://www.ahead.de/ or http://www.nero.com/ for a free evaluation of NERO. If you want to buy, you can do it online to get a license key, or a BOX version is available at many stores.
I can vouch for Cool Edit Pro. It's what I use to create all of my mixes and shows on MagicTrips Radio. It's a tad slower than some of the other applications, but very easy and user friendly.

My version doesn't have any CD-burning support built it. I still have to record and clean up the audio tracks, save them as WAV files, and burn them with an external application. I use Nero for that.

Thanks, Alex--I'm wondering, if primarily what I'm interested in right now is audio clean-up, do I need Cool Edit Pro, or is Syntrillium's Cool Edit 2000 for $69, plus the Audio Clean-up Plug-in for $49(if needed) all that I need? Are there some significant features of the Cool Edit Pro that I might end up wanting? Thanks again, Mike.

Alex K

Mike, Cool Edit 2000 plus the Audio Cleanup plugin should be fine. The multitrack recording, timecode and other effects you probably won't need for simple editing and cleanup. Plus, if you
really want to get Pro in the future, you get $50 off if you already own 2000. Hope this helps.

Oh, by the way, before investing in more software, make sure you have enough hard disk space to hold all those uncompressed audio files you will be dealing with, and make sure your
sound card digitizes reasonably well. I had a sound card once that was awful!

Great discussion--thank you so much for the tips, Alex--this is a potentially new endeavor for me, as the CD recording I'm currently doing is through my audio system--but I'd love to clean-up those not-so-perfect vinyl recordings, so I'm looking at my computer(hesitantly??!?). I'm understanding the software aspect of things, but I don't have a CD burner currently with my computer; I understand that you can install one directly in your processor, but I think it would be easier to hook one up externally to my system--any particular suggestions? Also, how would you know if your sound card digitizes well enough? I'm slowly but surely climbing onto the techno-bandwagon--slowly, key word! Thanks Alex, and all! Mike.

thekenster

I have a TDK Velo CD and have the same cool software that came with it. It's great to have the ability to do other things while Velo CD is working. The mixing program isn't really geared for what it is you are trying to do. I figured it out anyway and it's more of a DJ mixing tool, letting you gel songs together with a common beat from scratch.

Nero is the burning software that comes with a Velo CD and it's simple and easy to use, converting mp3s to wav for you when creating CD's, nice.

So, you will need an outside music editing program to achieve the tasks you want to perform. As it has already been mentioned, Cool Edit Pro is a nice program.
Cool Edit is used by radio and television studios to accomplish their objectives. There are other easy programs out there though that are just as good. I personally use Cool Edit Pro to clean up tracks and other programs for editing.

Good Sound Card needed! Your sound card has to have the ability to allow you to capture recordings from outside sources, that way you can record from cassettes and records etc. This ability has helped me to offer the rare tracks that are featured on the station I maintain and create for "Uncle Walt's Place," a project I do for fun.

While only 5 years ago, I was intimidated by a computer. I can build them now, lol. I found learning to work with wav. files to be a frustrating process. With a little help from some professional editors, I learned about 30 or so techniques for editing. I have had to develop a couple of my own to meet my imagination requirements, lol. I actually built a computer to handle all of the audio things I like to do, continually upgrading to the best sound cards and motherboards.

As has been mentioned, you need space. Wav. files take up a lot of space. I recommend at least a 40 gig hard drive at 7200 rpms at the minimum.

Now for the Magictrips radio Zarpman, good job! In recent days, Disney Park Hopper showed up and is moving up to you rapidly. However, there is a radio station flaw there that will probably get it shut down. Think back on what happened a while ago and you have the answer.

The broadcasters at the Magic Music boards are the best by far.

kenster