carousel of progress

bbowling

hi i'm trying to plan a trip to disney world in augest and wdw guest service line is no help with answers to the opening hours of the c.o.p or if it will be open at all the week i'm going can anyone help me with this problem.

thanks in advance
brian

Carousel of Progress is currently open and will remain so at least through the week of the 4th of July. If crowds remain high, it will continue to operate during the summer months. This may include August. The scheduled operating hours would be 11-5, but during the high crowd days, it may continue operating well after 5 or well before 11.

However, it's all in the air now.

Hope this helps!! :)

Jessica L

I got to ride it last week (along with another fav - the Timekeeper) and it was like seeing an old friend. The seating was almost full and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. I sang along with every chorus, of course! Hope you get a chance to see it, and the Timekeeper as well.

Jessica

Alex K

Just got here yesterday. CoP was open today, and the schedule shows it being open for the rest of the week. Same with Timekeeper. The CM I talked to only knew about this week's schedule. I'll try to ask Guest Relations or someone else about the rest of the season. If GrizzlyHall's statement is true, the crowds at CoP today should keep the attraction open for quite a while. They weren't skipping any sectors, and each seemed pretty full.

By the way, CoP was scheduled to be open until 8:00 PM every day this week.

MitchB

So is WDW thinking Of closing the COP or even worse
changing it? It's one of my all time favs! I love both
the original World's Fair version and the original
WDW version. Speaking of changes I wish they
would have left the Tiki room alone. I know kids
didn't find it too exciting, but adding the bird from
Aladdin was too annoying!

I know. Tiki Room was one of my favorite attractions, right with CBJ, CoP, and Dreamflight at the MK. It is now so close - and yet so far. I only go in there now, when people exit - I can't stand Gottfrey (Iago) and all of this rap and pop music they put in there; it's sickening. I hope one day I might be able to enjoy a true tropical serenade again with Jose, Fritz, Pierre, and Michael...

On a brighter note, the CoP will be operating through July 31st, closing at 8:00 PM each night (scheduled), but it can extend on crowded days. It's not even on the seasonal list any more, so let's hope it can go through August! ;D

I can't believe people actually liked the old Tiki Room! I thought it sucked big time, the new version is way better. I'm not to fond of the rap music part, hard rock is way better ;)!

Enchanted What? (Was Re:carousel of progress)

I can't believe people actually liked the old Tiki Room! I thought it sucked big time, the new version is way better. I'm not to fond of the rap music part, hard rock is way better ;)!
The good news is that only the, ah, *simple* citizens of Zanarkand feel that way! ;-)

We air-breathing Earthlings appear to greatly prefer the original show.

NovaCite

Believe it! The old show was far superior!

JB

J2002

I'm sorry I am going to have to agree with the Earthlings..lol. The original show was much better!!!!

MitchB

I was at Disneyland in February and they have
the original Tiki Room still! I was so nice to be
able to experience it at least one more time.
(I don't get to CA very often) Back to the
Carousel of Progress, which song was better?
I prefer the "there's a great big beautiful tomorrow"
It makes me feel that there is hope for the future.
"best times of your life" is a nice song but just
doesn't have the emotional puch of the original.
How about a "Carousel of Progress" CD much
like the Haunted Mansion and Pirates CDs!!!!!!!!!

I'd LOVE to get my paws on *anything* from the current CoP! Live recordings are nice, but a CD would be great. (Same with CBJ, though there are still copyright questions)...

My favorite theme song has to be 'Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow'...'Best Time of Your Life' is great also, but I don't find it as original as...the original.

And yes, the original Tiki Room was much superior in my mind. Walt Disney, his Imagineers, and the Sherman Brothers (for a part) created this wonderful attraction in the 60s. Yes, it isn't "new", but we can't say the music was outdated.

Original songs will always be original, unless they are caught in the "time's flavour". Nearly every Disney attraction remains original, and therefore the music can remain out-dated - exceptions would be the NEW Tiki Room and Food Rocks. After all, we still hear people humming "In the Tiki Tiki Tiki Room" or "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing".

Another problem is Iago - he really messes up the flavor. His voice is loud and penetrating; and yes, he really insults the old attraction. I find this a real insult to Mr. Disney himself - and after his interruption, his voice is very loud and actually quite obnoxious. "Get your OWN attraction, Iago..."

The theming is another problem. There's rap, 50's music (if you think the old attraction was outtdated, look at the new one!), and lots of modern influence which really takes away from the theme park's wonderful nature of original theming and music. The old attraction had such a cultural experience - and stuck with the name of a real Tropical Serenade.

I'm responding particularly about the Carousel of Progress, but let me just make a comment regarding the Enchanted Tiki Room. When it comes to the "wonderful world of Disney," I'm certainly a traditionalist, having a deep affection for the artistry of "Walt's time"--but I have to admit that I do enjoy the "new" Tiki Room(I've never seen the original show, but have--and also enjoy--the original soundtrack!). I was lured back into the Disney realm with the birth of my son 12 years ago, so I've been newly "raised" with characters like Iago and Zazu, who my son, my wife, and I do enjoy, particularly in the new show--even though none of us are fond of the rap/hip-hop "music." My son is also a great fan of the Disney villains, so he was especially thrilled by the presence of a "villain" in the new show--the Tiki goddess of disaster! Remember, Walt felt that Disneyland would never always be the same, and that, to a certain extent, it would always change and grow with time. Anyway, enough about the Tiki Room.
Regarding the Carousel, I wrote to Walt Disney World in May, but as of yet, have not heard a response. The gist of my letter was simple: in a year that we're supposed to be celebrating Walt Disney's 100th birthday, why isn't the Carousel of Progress glowing in full-operating mode? It's a timeless vision of progress and the American family, a refreshing journey in a land flooded more and more by rock-infused, inverting coasters(and I love roller coasters!)--even my 12-year-old son has always loved the Carousel! It was also one of Walt's first forays into audio-animatronics--I think it's just a shame that during this supposed celebration that the Carousel hasn't been brought to the forefront as one of Walt's lasting achievements. We wouldn't want to start to think that this whole celebration thing is only about.....MERCHANDISING?!??! We can only hope that for the Carousel that "there's a great big beautiful tomorrow"! Michael.

Fantasmic

I agree. I think that at Disneyland Park and at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom that Disney should have done a "Walt's Favorites" type thing with his favorite attractions. Things like CoP, Tiki Room (Disneyland Only, of course), Matterhorn, Peter Pan, Small World and Mr. Lincoln/Hall of Presidents. Speaking of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, what did the rest of you think about "Journey to Gettysburg"? I thought the speech was great, but the bugs and haircutting detracted from the experince. The music was fantastic, however. Anybody know who wrote it?

SharonKurland

> I think that at Disneyland Park and at Walt Disney
> World's Magic Kingdom that Disney should have done > a "Walt's Favorites" type thing with his favorite
> attractions.

Lord knows they're doing it now, with Walt's Favorite Dessert. Somewhere along the line, Walt must've picked lemon merangue pie as his favorite dessert. As part of the 100 Years of Magic theme, it seems that EVERY restaurant on WDW property has SOME form of Walt's Favorite Dessert on their menu. Most of the time it's the classic pie. But at Rose & Crown in the UK Pavilion, it's lemon posset. The best is California Grill, though...they couldn't keep up with the demand for chocolate souffles (not even after a substantial price increase intentioned to decrease sales!), so they invented the lemon souffle for the 100 Years of Magic. I guess they figured lemon wouldn't be as popular as chocolate. When the demand was STILL higher than what they could produce, they got rid of the souffles entirely and now sell lemon creme brulee as a dessert.

I guess once the 100 Years of Magic thing is finally over, they can all go back to key lime pies . Because ALL of Florida eats key lime pie, y'know .

-Sharon-

Jessica L

Sharon - that's really funny, cause we noticed the lemon merangue pie thing too! They also sell it at Mama Melrose at MGM, if anyone is interested... ;) Their four-cheese pizza is wonderful! :)

Jessica