Annette's Beach Party

Hey Jay!

I can assure you that the restored master does not have those glitches. For this new release, I again went back to the original 3 track master and restored it from there.

Back when Pony Canyon released the Annette albums (in the late 1980's early 90's) they used the 2 track album master. This was the same master used to cut the vinyl. However, it was 30 years old at that point and no restoration was done.

Though I had already transferred from the original 3 tracks for "Annette: A Musical Reunion with America's Girl Next Door" in 1994, for these new releases I've re-transferred from those original recordings again - using the best current technology available to make sure that it's as good as it can be.

Hope that helps,
Randy Thornton

dalvarad

Since you happen to be talking about Annette, please bring more Annette releases to Itunes! I'm so happy that a lot of her stuff is slowly coming out on US releases.

Keep it coming please. Please release Pajama Party and Bikini Beach! Note: I'm ok if you don't release Annette on Campus, that's not very fun to listen to... :)

Sorry for my rant.
David

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I can assure you that the restored master does not have those glitches.
Thanks for the reply, Randy! Can't beat getting an answer direct from the source!

...it's as good as it can be.
Hmmm. 1440 kbps WAVs (1992) or 128 kbps M4Ps (2008)... that is the question?

I don't care about paying another $9.99, or even that the files are DRM-protected, but 128 kbps is just so icky for someone whose entire collection has always been lossless.

To quote Dr. Smith: Oh, the pain, the pain.

I HAVE to have faith that lossless will be in our future. That's why I'm doing these new transfers at 24bit 88.2 kHz and 196kHz. I'm ready when "they" are!

Randy

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
I'm ready when "they" are!
Randy,

Is there any chance that some of these albums might show up on CD? They don't have to be made for wide distribution; I'd be happy with limited edition pressings sold at Disneyland's 20th Century Music Company. (Separate topic: how come we don't have a shop like that here at WDW?) Anything that would make it possible for me to hear a tin can scraping pavement Annette, Chilling Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, etc., at the best quality possible.

Back in January '07 I sort of addressed the physical release issue. Here's a link -

[topic=3125]Walt Disney Records and iTunes EXPLAINED[/topic]

Also, the International issue I explained in that post still holds true today. These albums HAVE been cleared since the beginning! We now have someone on staff that is helping me get the word out to our International Partners.

Hope that explains the state of things.

I know where you are coming from. Believe me, no one wants this great stuff out there in a lossless format more than I do.

Randy

almandot

Off topic from annette but since that question got answered already and I don't feel like adding to the masses of whole new Randy threads like random people seem to like to do... :) I had a quick(ha) question on release issues too. Is there really this issue that if they fronted the money for release rights to things when they recorded it in the first place that it'd be cheaper than going back and doing it later? Or would it work out about the same? I remember the tricky part about having to basically pay each performer as if they were rerecording it all over again, so is that the only price difference or would there be a bit more of a discount than that?

And out of curiosity, do you get out to the parks much at all for business/fun or are you pretty much a burbank-disneyperson? Have you ever felt like holding a brain picking session/whatever for inquiring CMs? Inquiring CMs want to know ;)

The Trout

Hmmm. 1440 kbps WAVs (1992) or 128 kbps M4Ps (2008) ... that is the question?
I feel the same way - I'd be all over things like the 20k Leagues release if they were lossless. As it stands, I refuse to pay for music that insanely compressed - I buy my high-end audio gadgetry for a reason, darn it!

Generally speaking, to include "Record Rights" at the initial stages adds approx. 10% to the usual costs. However, an "after-the-fact" deal requires a 100% re-pay. So you can see, that it is a substantial difference. Now it is possible to negotiate a limited number (say a few thousand units), but once that number has sold out, that's it! Unless you are willing to pay the full 100% plus a potentially hefty penalty fee - so in that scenario, you end up paying the discount fee, then the 100% fee, and a penalty. That usually means that the material will be gone forever as there would be no way to recover those accumulated costs. It's best to get the rights at the start. But if I have make a deal after the fact, I want to make sure that it is a lifetime deal and not limited to a select few. I want this stuff available for generations to come - way beyond you and I.

I do go to the parks quite often (fun / business - I have no dividing line). But usually, Cast Members seek me out - either through company channels or the internet (as you have by posting here). Also, though I only post on this site, I do read the other major Discussion Forums whether it has anything to do with music or not.

Randy

almandot

Wow. That's just mind numbing why major entertainment items planned to last for several years would get passed up on that with the mindset of it's saving money.

I really don't understand the union's(it is a union isn't it) line of thought for that setup. Seems like a shot in the foot when it comes to something like theme park music where instead of earning royalties on music it just sits unreleased forever because it'd require an initial repay of the initial amounts.

But given what the setup is, my miff still rests with the choice not to get record rights in the beginning. ;)

*miff miff miff*

Thanks for the answer :)

The good news is, that within the last few years, WDI has been recording with a phono agreement whenever possible. I cannot say enough good things about the folks at WDI. They have worked very hard to help get this material available, which is why I was able to include as much as I have on the next Official Albums.

However, sometimes a phono agreement is impossible due to artist deals. For example, if an artist is signed with another label, that could very well hinder the possibility of us releasing something even if the artist's label has no intention of releasing it themselves. That's just one example of how a phono agreement may not be in the offing.

I should also mention that the Park Entertainment divisions are also beginning to record under a phono agreement - obviously with the same rare exclusions I mentioned earlier.

Things are changing for the better, but these are also just part of what it takes to clear things. There's also the mechanical royalties (payments for the Publishers and Composers) for the songs themselves. That won't change (as they should be rightfully compensated for their creative works). In these cases, it all boils down to how much it would cost vs. how many units the merchandisers feel they can sell - basic business economics. I feel pretty certain that it was this kind of scenario that facilitated the removal of several songs from the MSEP on the original Official Album that was discussed in another thread.

Well, I've babbled on long enough. Hope that sheds some more light on the issue(s).

Randy

WDWGuy08

Hi Randy! you could never babble on too much, everything you post here is very interesting and i always learn something. i enjoy reading what you say. i have a question about the phono agreements.

how does this affect older recordings such as horizons, ellen's energy adventure, world of motion, dreamflight, the great movie ride, etc...? is music from old/retired attractions able to be released? im sure several of us have been dying for more horizons music, my favorite track is omnimax theater.

Now that things are been done under a phono agreement whenever possible, it is from this point forward. It's not a retro-active thing. If it wasn't recorded under a phono agreement, the same old rules apply. Recently, a new exception has been added - recordings over 50 years old no longer have to pay the full 100%. The payment is still rather substantial (depending on the, say, the size of the orchestra), but it's step in the right direction. In other parts of the World, recordings over 50 years old do not have to pay these conversion fees at all.

Randy

WDWGuy08

so would more horizons music be able to be released in the future? how come no music from dreamflight has ever been released? ive always loved that score and have always wondered why it was never released.

almandot

Ya Randy it definitely did shed some light, thanks for all your input on here and dealing with the nagging questions ;)

And like I said if you're ever headed to the parks for kicks and giggles. Glad you don't draw the line between work and play there either. People gawk at me at my other job when I tell them things like staying til 5am in freezing weather for rehearsals and not caring one bit :p

Re: Bourne stuff, yay for the copyright extension that disney pushed? :)