Adventureland Steel Drum Band

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
Do you know if these guys ever made a CD or released their music otherwise? The only place I've heard them is (WDW) on a promotional film from the 80s, and (DLR) in a mix in a retrospective series.

Horizons

Playlist Author
There was an album released in 1976 (I think) called "WDW Adventureland Steel Band" that included 12 tracks. I believe the band, "J.P. and the Silver Stars" has other CDs available as well.

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
This patio was the original performance space for Adventureland's long-lived J.P. and the Silver Stars steel drum band. The group helped reinforce the atmosphere area and even contributed a performance, "Adventureland Delight," to the 1973 album A Musical Souvenir of Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom.? They moved down into Caribbean Plaza later on, opening up the octagon for live bird exhibitions and, finally, merchandise sales.? The lady with the maracas did not endure into the 1980s, ultimately leaving the men to beat out island sounds on their own.? Before she departed, however, the band cut a 1976 album, Walt Disney World's Adventureland Steel Band, which is now an extremely rare park souvenir.
There goes that. :angry:

As for JP and the Silver Stars, I'm not finding any albums by them. I'll check again tomorrow.

popkid

This patio was the original performance space for Adventureland's long-lived J.P. and the Silver Stars steel drum band. The group helped reinforce the atmosphere area and even contributed a performance, "Adventureland Delight," to the 1973 album A Musical Souvenir of Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom.? They moved down into Caribbean Plaza later on, opening up the octagon for live bird exhibitions and, finally, merchandise sales.? The lady with the maracas did not endure into the 1980s, ultimately leaving the men to beat out island sounds on their own.? Before she departed, however, the band cut a 1976 album, Walt Disney World's Adventureland Steel Band, which is now an extremely rare park souvenir.
Ahhh... I was searching the forums for information about this album. Extremely rare, huh? Great... :)

The Trout

Ahhh... I was searching the forums for information about this album. Extremely rare, huh? Great... :)
In my experience, the Steel Band's album isn't even remotely rare. I got it on eBay in mint condition for a song.

Sounds awesome, by the way. One of my favorite records.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
and also now available over on Rodentsections for those who don't have a problem with torrents for non-available stuff. :)

SeaCastle

Playlist Author
and also now available over on Rodentsections for those who don't have a problem with torrents for non-available stuff. :)
Kudos to who provided that rip. I've been wanting to hear those recordings for a few months now. :)

Horizons

Playlist Author
Decisions like this have to make you wonder though. The fact that something may be out of print doesn't mean the copyright no longer exists. I'm not trying to start a debate on this issue, just passing off the article.

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
Which was why I phrased it the way I did.
No incitement, just information (that should cover me) :)
I doubt anyone thinks that copyright only exists for current work (I hope).

Club 33

Playlist Author
Well, let's face it, if it were available for purchase digitally or even on CD I'm sure many of us would do so. I actually have an interesting in finding a copy of the vinyl if I can- though even in that case the original artists would not see a cent. Unfortunately items like these will remain a gray area for some time (until the copyrights just expire and then anyone can share it with whomever they like- but that wont be for quite a while).