A History of the Official Album

My 1980 vinyl has "How Long Will My Baby Be Gone," and fades after Small World and King Mickey on the MSEP.  Now I wanna hear YOUR version!

If we wanna get down to the nitty gritty, I suppose we could check the stampers on the different records.  Clearly they snuck a different version of the album out there at some point without bothering to change any of the art.  In the deadwax of my record, I've got...

#2150-KMSP-387-SIDE 1-1
#2150-KMSP-387-SIDE 2-1

As an aside, this is sort of an oddity in my vinyl collection - there's no A1/A2/A3 etc at the end of the number to tell me which pressing this thing is.  Usually, there'll be a combination of a capitol letter and a number to let you know if its a first pressing, second pressing, etc.  (ie, A1 on side one would be a first pressing).
My "rare" OA from 1980 with the extended MSEP and Teddi Barra tracks has in the deadwax

#2510-WW-480

Whereas, the edited MSEP track has this on its deadwax

2510-WK-680

ispace

This CD has been considered by many to be the "Holy Grail" of Official Albums.
Well, I'm not sure it's the real "holy grail". I think that one is the CD version of the 1980 "Official Album" that was released in Japan.
Remember also that this album was released on CD in Australia by Pickwick in the late 1980s (PKD 6041). I know because I have a copy in my hands at the moment, but I haven't seen another copy here since I bought it.

Regards,
Brett.
Hi all,

I have listed my copy of the rare 1980 CD on eBay if anyone is interested.

[link expired]

Regards,
Brett.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
So, what happened to Randy's historical story in the first post on this thread?
Weird. It looks like there are nine posts in this topic that are empty. They all pre-date the installation of IP.Board, so my guess is that something was lost during the conversion process. I'll have to go through some of the old forum backups and see what I can find. At the same time, maybe I can work on restoring some of the posts that were lost due to the damage caused by You-Know-Who.

Magic Music

Administrator
Playlist Author
All "missing posts" in this topic (except for those deleted by You-Know-Who) have been fully restored and now have proper quotes/snapbacks. (Ugh, this took an hour I didn't have.)

It turns out it is a CHARSET problem. A good number of Randy's older posts may be blank right now as I believe he cuts and pastes from M$ Word which inserts curly quotes, etc. This is not a problem for new posts, but it's a problem for old posts, as some of the extended characters are causing display problems now that we've switched our CHARSET from ISO 8859-1 to UTF-8. If anyone should happen upon other seemingly blank posts, let me know, and I'll get them fixed.