Pete's Dragon - Detailed Review (Spoilers)

Howdy, folks! Here's some information on the new Pete's Dragon Soundtrack. I will be going song by song:

1) Main Title (3:39)
It's the direct from-film version, except at the end, the "Brazzle Dazzle Day" theme doesn't fall out. It is ended by the finale we hear at the very end of the film. It sounds excellent!

Rating:
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

2) Candle on the Water (3:06)
This is the version in the film and released on a bajillion soundtracks! There's not really much to say. Inspiring song though, :)

Rating:
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

3) I Saw a Dragon (2:35)
Wonderful...I enjoyed this - excellent quality! I came to several...well..surprises. SPOILER: No Dance Scene!! Anyway, here are the surprises: There are two extra verses of the song. I am somewhat glad they appeared on the soundtrack (nice bonus), but I am very glad they didn't appear in the movie. Lines such as "Oh, Lampie saw a dragon. He's bleary0eyed he's ossified...he's tighter than a tick...he had to much to drink today, so call a doctor quick" or "The game is done, you've had your fun - My dad's been through enough - So won't you all behave yourselves? I don't want any guff." Later in the song, I became very dissapointed. Towards the end, Lampie sings "But look across the square." "All right, we'll go and take a look" sing the drinkers. "Good Lord! Good Lord! There's absolutely nothing there!". It really somewhat ruined the original quality, but this isn't Randy's fault, it's the people who designed the original recording for the record in the 70s. Later on, the song goes back to the "you're off your hinges" verse and ends somewhat as usual.

RATING:
;D ;D ;D :( :(

4) It's Not Easy (3:11)
If you love the song, you'll love this! It's directly as it is in the film, and we even hear Nora hum at the end! LOL

RATING:
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

5) Every Little Piece (4:26)
This is the IDEAL RECORDING. It has the entire song in tact, as in the film, PLUS the dance sequence! The CD length is only about 39 minutes (I don't see why the dances could have been edited in or something, LOL, even BGM could have been added...heh). Anyway, as I said, this is the most pleasing song on the Soundtrack!!

RATING:
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

6) The Happiest Home in These Hills (2:49)
Another great song, however, the song starts with the line "I'll cook you cake and gingerbread". It leaves out "he's went this-a-way, etc." I was upset by this, but the song was overall pretty good! At the end of the "main" section of it, Mrs. Gogan yells "SPREAD OUT!" It's a little wierd, but I suppose it's fine. You hear a little music and then the reprise was added in "you'll swim and you'll go camping, you'll be a champ", etc.

RATING:
;D ;D ;D ;D :(

7) Brazzle Dazzle Day (2:47)
I love the song! It does get really hissy on the first verse, but it dissapates in a little. A few notes: Nora sings "...and take off tomorrow" vs. Lampie singing it. There are a few parts when Nora sings lines that the other two (Lampie and Pete) usually join into. I found it TOO SHORT...Mainly because there was a LOVELY Dance theme music put in the film, and, of course, I miss the line "when your job becomes a frollic, you'll become a Brass-a-holic!" Oh well, you can't have it all ;)

REVIEW:

8) Boo Bop Bopbop Boo (I Love You, Too) (2:47)
Just like the film (minus the splash in the middle, LOL!). It was released on the Classic Disney Volume 5, so it wasn't "new" for me, but it's great.

REVIEW:
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

9) There's Room for Everyone (3:07)
Misleading...I thought the dance was in it! I was wrong ;). The big thing I found dissapointing was Nora hogged the whole thing! You can only hear the children in the last verse...LOL! Ends nicely, though...

REVIEW:

10) Passamashloddy (4:25)
Pretty good. It has some dialog in the beginning with that great music...and the song remains intact. They did add a line, though...something like "since I've been young, I've had the name of this town on my tongue..." It's OK, but unexpected. Also, I was very upset with the following: Hoagy could not be heard in the whole thing! In the line "Keep those dimes and rollars mounting", there is a break between that and "I'll do the counting". Not only did you not expect it, musically it didn't sound good at all. Also, the Doc says (using up music) "That's what I meant to say" so the line "My hair was grey and thanks to you it turned into pink" would go on the music in the film where Doc says "but the color, it's so becoming", so that part sounds pretty bad. Otherwise, we do get the "Hoagy in disguise dancing bit", which is cool.

RATING:

11. Bill of Sale (2:42)
Great until the end, it remains as it does in the film. One of my favorites on the soundtrack. At the end, two extra verses (repeats though) are added when each sing their own "bit". However, at the end, (when everyone sings there last line, in the film, falling in the water), Nora sings "I'll protect him as long as I'm alive" - I was not very pleased with this, because I really liked the Gogans ending it by themselves...

RATING:

12. Candle on the Water Reprise (1:54)
Not needed. I believe, in closing, the soundtrack should have really had dance scenes, etc, and fixes put in them. This reprise really wasn't needed, I'd prefer the Brazzle Dazzle Day or I Saw a Dragon reprises over this, of course...

RATING:
;D :( :( :( :( (Due to the record's use of time)

OVERALL RATING:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

This is a GREAT soundtrack! Any Pete's Dragon fan will really enjoy it!! The things I didn't like, though, were not Mr. Thornton's fault, as I said. Kudos, sir - it's a GREAT SOUNDTRACK!! Can't wait for Bedknobs!! ;)