What are Your Favorite Vintage Disneyland LPs?

hauntdmansn

What are your favorite vintage Disneyland LP's?

Hello my friends! Let's talk about our favorite Disneyland Records. The ones that we listened to on our record players over and over. I think my favorite was Songs from The Jungle Book and other Jungle Favorites. Also Mickey Mouse and Friends was great! :D

jb-304.jpg

Mickey.jpg

Re: What are your favorite vintage Disneyland LP's?

Wow. So many.

In my childhood, I adored the Camarata Alice in Wonderland LP with Darlene Gillespie, still probably my favorite Disneyland record. Also the Camarata Babes in Toyland original cast LP and the Mary Martin/Camarata Storyteller of Sleeping Beauty (incredible narration and full orchestration). I also liked all the WDL/DQ soundtracks, especially Sleeping Beauty and the Vista Mary Poppins soundtrack (and still prefer many of the song cuts/versions from these VS the nice extended CD versions).

As an adult I discovered all the Buena Vista Annette albums and singles - - and the Hayley Mills soundtracks and LPs, which have all become favorites - - as well as the various Mickey Mouse Club and Darlene LPs, and the Saludos Amigos instrumental LP. All Brilliant.

merlinjones, I totally agree about the Camarata/Darlene Alice LP. I received it as a gift for a good report card around 1966 and I have worn through several copies. I finally saw the movie itself in 1974 and much as I loved it, the record was a rich experience that captured my imagination in some ways more thoroughly. As I learned about Camarata's career, I realized that his varied experience in arranging and conducting, in addition to creating just the right setting for the soloist, made this a work that encapsulated the full range of his talents, much as some believe Mary Poppins did for Walt Disney.

It's no accident that there's considerable space in Mouse Tracks devoted to this album, and if you read the iTunes reviews and Jeff Pepper's comments at his website, 2719hyperion.com., a lot of new listeners are discovering the wonders of Camarata's Alice.

Other Golden age faves include: Tinpanorama, 101 Dalmatians Storyteller, Summer Magic, Babes in Toyland (both versions), Family Band (yellow cover), The AristoCats and Other Cat Songs, The World is a Circle, Italiannette, Songs from the MMC Serials, Mary Martin's Hi-Ho & Sleeping Beauty, A Christmas Adventure in Disneyland, Little Gems from Big Shows, Jan Clayton's Carousel, Man of LaMancha, The Jungle Book & Other Jungle Favorites, Bedknobs and Broomsticks (both versions), Mary Poppins (both versions) and well, I could go on and on...

Rich T

My favorites were the pop-up storyteller LPs of 101 Dalmations and the Sword in the Stone. I also loved the Camarata Alice LP and Walt Disney's Song Parade. Also, the Peter Pan soundtrack with the window cover and the pirate ship in the distance.

BTW, I still remember the full lyrics version of "Playful Melody" from that Dalmations record. I'd love to see it made available again!

Yes, Mary Martin's "Hi Ho" is a great album too, and I was also introduced to those tracks through "Walt Disney's Happiest Songs" from the Gulf station, which I listened to constantly. Also - Camarata's arrangements of the songs from "Sword in the Stone" are far superior to the film and really sell the melodies - I always liked the original music versions of "Lady" and "Dalmatians" too.

A few of my favorite single tracks on Disneyland/Vista:

Annette and The Beach Boys: "The Monkey's Uncle" (probably my favorite track released by BV)
Darlene/Camarata: "Very Good Advice"
Annette and Tommy Sands: "The Parent Trap!/Let's Get Together"
Camarata: "Love Theme from Sleeping Beauty"
Burl Ives: "On the Front Porch"
The Wellingtons: "Scarecrow"
Paul Frees: "The VonDrake Quake"
The Commanders: "Sing an Smiling Song"
Annette: "No Way to Go But Up"

I would love to hear Randy put together a nice 'Best of Darlene' collection from the source tapes.

The majority of the tracks I have collected from her derive from vinyl, some a little too 'well-loved.' Her vocals and interpretations are mesmerizing, even on simple songs from 'Perri' or 'Snow White.' She so deserves to be rediscovered and appreciated for her incredible talent.

MousekeTodd

I would love to hear Randy put together a nice 'Best of Darlene' collection from the source tapes.

The majority of the tracks I have collected from her derive from vinyl, some a little too 'well-loved.' Her vocals and interpretations are mesmerizing, even on simple songs from 'Perri' or 'Snow White.' She so deserves to be rediscovered and appreciated for her incredible talent.
Hear, hear!! I second that!! I'm glad that her three "Corky and the White Shadow" songs and the "Alice in Wonderland" album are available on iTunes.

True, I've liked Annette Funicello very much, but when I grew up watching the '70s reruns of The Mickey Mouse Club, Darlene was my favorite female Mouseketeer.

It saddens me about Darlene's adult legal troubles. Hopefully, all royalties from iTunes and DVD sales are accumulating for her, and she'll have access to them when she has been released (or, perhaps she has already been released.). I pray the best for her future.

hauntdmansn

Alice/Camerata is a favorite. I played the heck out of The Mouse Factory and I must mention Song of the South. I grew up in the late seventies/early eighties, reading your posts makes me feel like I missed a lot. I was stuck with whatever Kmart had at the time. Went through four Jungle Book records, my favorite. Sword in the Stone and Pinocchio also. Tell me more! :D Anyone else?

X-S Tech

While my little record player was my best friend growing up, I think I was pretty underprivelaged compared to you guys when it came to Disney LPs. I had an old Cinderella Record with a pink/white gradated cover, and Cinderella in her rags sitting in the chair while (I think) the prince tried the slipper on her foot. Didn't listen to that much. I did listen to a 50's Mickey Mouse Club Record, but I didn't have the cover so I can't tell you which one it was. I listened to Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too storyteller type record A LOT. It had all the original voices taken directly from the film and a big book with lots of illustrations. I remember this was the first record I tried playing parts backwards, just to see what happened. I didn't have any of the actual Disneyland LP's- actually I did have the Small World album with all the Mary Blair style kids on the cover- the one that was mostly folk songs and one really echo-y version of small world. As a kid, it didn't interest me, but I'd put it on every once in a while to see if perhaps I had missed something. I know at some point I got the Small World Storyteller but that may have been on tape. I had lots of Disney tapes.

OK.....this is going to be fun. I've collected Disneyland/Vista LPs for many years and I have many favorites. Here are mine listed here:

Mickey Mouse Disco
Mousercise
Highlights From Scheherazade (Thanks to the beautiful art by Neil Boyle)
The Official Album of Disneyland/Walt Disney World (1980)
Best Loved Fairy Tales
Heidi
Mickey Mouse Splashdance
America The Beautiful
National Anthems and their Stories
Learning To Tell Time Is Fun
Yankee Doodle Mickey
The Best of Disney Vols 1 and 2 (There was also a 2-LP set)
Camarata Conducts Finian's Rainbow
Camarata Conducts Fiddler On The Roof
Mike Curb Congregation-It's A Small World
America Sings
The All New Mickey Mouse Club
Mickey Mouse Club Song Hits
Songs from Doctor Dolittle
Songs from Happiest Millionaire featuring Richard Sherman, Carol Lombard, Bill Kanaday
Rubber Duckie and Other Songs from Sesame Street
A Christmas Adventure In Disneyland
It's A Small World (Disneyland Boys Choir)
Sing
Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House
Children's Favorites Vols 1-3

The list goes on to infinity and beyond but I still enjoy these LPs even to this day.

X-S Tech

Bill, I'm picturing you with your kiddie guitar and short haircut, singing "Do Re Me"... wishing you were Mary Martin.

Isn't it a small world? On my honeymoon we stayed at the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, Vermont. I grabbed some luggage and skipped over the hills. I mean, how could you NOT, with real Von Trapps in every direction? But I gotta say, I DO like Mary Martin. Especially when she pleads for me to clap my hands.

BJWanlund

I'm pretty sure you can't make an ASCII version of that face, Bill, but that story was PRICELESS!

BJ

Hail to the Princess Aurora!

Someone posted my absolute favorite storyteller LP, "The Story of Walt Disney's "Sleeping Beauty" Told and Sung by Mary Martin and Camarata" - - on YouTube (through they weren't very discriminating about the breaks)! What a fine album, from the script to the narration to the full underscore.

Looks like these were posted by musicradio77, a contributor to this site. musicradio77; take a bow.

FRAN?OIS

Bill said:
Julie Andrews tells a story when she returned to Salzburg and went back to the mountains south of Salzburg to recreate the mountaintop spin for old time's sake and ran into a group of VERY confused Japanese tourists.
That was not in Salzburg, Bill, but around her place in Gstaad, when she goes for walks and used to sing aloud thinking she was by herself! Then she ran into those tourists ...

musicradio77 does post some great stuff on YouTube doesn't he. Thanks again musicradio77.

Gurgitoy2

Bill said:
Julie Andrews tells a story when she returned to Salzburg and went back to the mountains south of Salzburg to recreate the mountaintop spin for old time's sake and ran into a group of VERY confused Japanese tourists.
LOL, that must have been a sight to see!?

musicradio77 does post some great stuff on YouTube doesn't he.? Thanks again musicradio77.
You're welcome! I was on YouTube under the name "musicradio77" and I got suspended, so I create another which is "HomeoftheGoodGuys" which is the one that I not put music on there and another backup account under the name "BrooklynMouse" which is videos from my Disneyland LP collection.