WDW 40th Anniversary CD?

Marko

Hi everybody!

With the 40th anniversary around the corner (and by corner, I mean 2011) what is everyone hoping to get? What would you like to see on the album? How many disks? Will there even be one?

My personal wishlist is this;
-more music from Tiki Room
-older music not found at parks (ie. Horizons, Timekeeper)
-Space Mountain 3rd Tunnel
-more music from Stitch's Great Escape
-more music from Imagination
-more music from Ellen's Energy Adventure
-Soarin' pre-show
-Toy Story Midway Mania

disneymusic09

I would love to see something along the line of "A Musical History of Disneyland". However, I think it would be great to see itunes utilized for Walt Disney World's 40th. I would be thrilled just to see all of the past and current WDW CDs put on itunes. :lol:

Marko

I would love to see something along the line of "A Musical History of Disneyland". However, I think it would be great to see itunes utilized for Walt Disney World's 40th. I would be thrilled just to see all of the past and current WDW CDs put on itunes. :lol:
:(
That would be really great if they did put it on iTunes. Unlike a cd, iTunes can carry alot more music.

WDWGuy08

i would LOVE and DIE for an a musical history of disneyland type box set for magic kingdoms 40th annv.

i would like to see:

dreamflight
timekeeper
space mountain 3rd tunnel
dinosaur
it's tough to be a bug
kilimanjaro safaris queue video
great movie ride
nazi march from indiana jones stunt show
sounds dangerous theme
american idol i got the music in me song by jordin sparks
new world bound song from american adventure
more ellen's energy adventure music
etc...

anything disney, music wise

DisneyChris

A few things from the real early days of the Magic Kingdom would be great too, like the Mickey Mouse Review, If You Had Wings, The Best Time of Your Life, the RCA Song from Space Mountain, and the Little Orange Bird song from the Sunshine Tree Terrace, to name a few. Also the soundtrack to the original Walt Disney Story would be awesome.

Dirk

I would love to see something along the line of "A Musical History of Disneyland". However, I think it would be great to see itunes utilized for Walt Disney World's 40th. I would be thrilled just to see all of the past and current WDW CDs put on itunes. :)
:)
That would be really great if they did put it on iTunes. Unlike a cd, iTunes can carry alot more music.

I would love to see a multi-disc set along the lines of the DL release for its 50th anniversary - especially with EPCOT there is a wealth of original material not official available that could be released... however, I hope they do create a CD-set for the anniversary and NOT any iTunes project. why?

1. No sales to tourists / regular guests. iTunes downloads must be bought / initiated at home from the pc. So WDW would loose out on the impoulse buys by "typical" tourists / once in lifetime guests, who look for souvenirs in the shop but I doubt would search through iTunes after the trip.

2. International guests (anyone from outside the USA) which are a major percentage of WDW guests would be lost as buyers, since WDR so far always only releases its stuff on iTunes US (while the main releases are put onto iTunes by the international partners regularly, the "iTunes only" releases of WDr in the US just don't show up on international iTues stores, meaning that the only way to get them for anybody without a permanent residency in the US is to break its contractual obligations with Apple).

Both elements would result in lesser sales numbers I fear, which would put future projects of this kind at a risk, since they may be considered "not worth the investment" by management due to lower returns.

And lastly also the fact that I am not living in the US so there is no legal(!) way for me to get the release if it is (as happened quite often so far) an iTunes only release.

Dirk

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
I agree with what you say.
and also agree that iTunes is a pain for those of us not in the US. Unless you want Larry Groce, theirs not much available in the UK store!
OK, there are contractual problems but it does make it pointless to say "you can get those from iTunes".
At least with a CD, there are no export problems so, if not for sale through the "usual channels", you can always get someone to buy it for you and then ship it to you.
I wouldn't feel happy getting someone to buy off iTunes and then send me the mp3 (even if it would play) - too much like ripping a current CD for me.
Yes, impulse buying must account for much of the park sales for everything (remember that giant Tigger you couldn't get on the plane unless you bought it a seat) :)
Let's hope that they don't start to have the same problems as Tokyo on their boxed sets :) (shipping within Japan only).

Here is what I would like on a "Musical History of WDW:"

Mickey Mouse Revue, first and foremost. A single track of the complete show would only run 9 minutes 'n'change.

Tropical Serenade. This would consist of the original "Claude Birdbrain" preshow, and then the original, one and only Enchanted Tiki Room show. Sorry, I know it would be a repeat, but I want to recreate the original Citrus Growers experience while I'm eating my homemade Dole Whip. If you grew up with this park, the complete original show needs to be on a 40th set.

If You Had Wings, naturally. I hear tell this was originally botched by the WDWForever project team because no one in California knows/remembers the significance. I volunteer for the job then!

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Electrical Water Pageant, but the version from the 80s that featured Wassermusik (Water Music/Music for the Royal Fireworks).

The Hall of Presidents, original show narrated by Lawrence Dobkin. (Before you lynch me, let me say I feel the new 2009 show deserves its own CD, available in the gift shop, thank you, but not on this set.)

Carousel of Progress, original 1975 show.

Of course, I'd love everything, too.

One problem with a 40th box is that they will likely devote equal time to the four parks, and I think it's a mistake. The set should showcase the "musical history." In this respect, I think Animal Kingdom should get less of a share, and the Magic Kingdom/EPCOT years more.

I just thought of this last thing: Perhaps the wdw box set will be designed to complement the Disneyland set so beautifully that together they'll make up an even larger entity. Who knows.

Just my two cents!

eyore

DLRP explorer
Playlist Author
OK for you young whippersnappers :)
Some of us may not be around in another 10 years (or too decrepit to lift the CDs out of the box) :)

Marko

OK for you young whippersnappers :)
Some of us may not be around in another 10 years (or too decrepit to lift the CDs out of the box) :)
:eek:

Seriously though, I think that they should have a 12 disk box set for just one park alone. :D

Horizons

Playlist Author
Seriously though, I think that they should have a 12 disk box set for just one park alone. :)
If it's not at least a 1,000 CD box set, I'm not buying it. And it better have the Impressions de France breakdown spiel!!!

Club 33

Playlist Author
Seriously though, I think that they should have a 12 disk box set for just one park alone. :)
If it's not at least a 1,000 CD box set, I'm not buying it. And it better have the Impressions de France breakdown spiel!!!
:) Does Disney even have that much music?
Well, now that you mention it, a fellow at MouseGeeks was trying to put together a 999 CD Walt Disney World set (not with 999 actual discs, but rather utilizing the disc organizational feature on iTunes to give each attraction and/or area it's own disc).

To answer the question seriously however, I think a look back specifically at the Magic Kingdom in the 70s as well as the original WDW resort hotels would be nice. Not to discount the three parks and many other fixtures since, but as these things go we have Disneyland's 55th in 2010, MK's 40th in 2011, Epcot's 30th in 2012, Animal Kingdom's 15th in 2013, and the Studios' 25th in 2014, before the cycle starts over with Disneyland's 60th in 2015. So I think therefore recognizing all of the parks together under the 40th anniversary banner isn't entirely necessary, since they'll have their own anniversaries in short order, but rather a focus on the resort in it's early days or at any rate the original park itself.

So I think therefore recognizing all of the parks together under the 40th anniversary banner isn't entirely necessary, since they'll have their own anniversaries in short order, but rather a focus on the resort in it's early days or at any rate the original park itself.
I think Club 33 has the right idea. Realistically though, I don't think we're going to see anything for the 40th. Disney had a chance to do something for EPCOT's 25th and didn't offer anything. WDW, in my opinion, has the worst contribution to the park music collection, not including the Forever Project. Tokyo Disneyland's is just superhuman! I'd like to remain optimistic but I don't think we're going to see any spectacular box sets here. I hope Im wrong!

Marko

True. Each park doesn't need to have a box set for the 40th, just Magic Kingdom. How is it that Disneyland got a great box collection and all we ever get is two disks trying to fit four parks worth of music in.

David S.

How is it that Disneyland got a great box collection and all we ever get is two disks trying to fit four parks worth of music in.
Good point Marko! I think I posted this once before, but I'd love to see the "Official Albums" packaged in such a way that they could be sold seperately for each park, like the souvenir DVDs and now the souvenir booklets are going the same route. These individual albums for each park could be sold seperately and also be bundled together as a package, just as the DVDs and souvenir booklets are. Even if each park only got one disc each, you would still have 4 discs worth of music in the "official album" format, meaning twice as much material than what is currently available.

This would greatly enhance our musical tour of the 4 parks until such a time when a long-awaited boxed set would finally be available - although, as others are suggesting, this boxed set would have to be bigger than the 6 discs of DLs to truly do justice to ALL 4 of the parks. I like Club 33's idea of each park eventually getting it's own box. I'd buy 'em! ;)

On a semi-related note, I like the idea of each park having it's own strong identity, and I don't just mean for the purposes of releasing music. (but that too!) With all the parks bundled under the rubric of "WDW" (or worse, "Disney Parks"), too many important milestones, such as park and attraction aniversaries (that could be celebrated with merchandise!) are too easily overlooked.

WDWGuy08

i agree. a cd or 2 or box set for each park would be splendid. a history of at that like the old attraction as 1 track then the one that replaced it as the next track or something. i would buy these!

Marko

How is it that Disneyland got a great box collection and all we ever get is two disks trying to fit four parks worth of music in.
Good point Marko! I think I posted this once before, but I'd love to see the "Official Albums" packaged in such a way that they could be sold seperately for each park, like the souvenir DVDs and now the souvenir booklets are going the same route. These individual albums for each park could be sold seperately and also be bundled together as a package, just as the DVDs and souvenir booklets are. Even if each park only got one disc each, you would still have 4 discs worth of music in the "official album" format, meaning twice as much material than what is currently available.

This would greatly enhance our musical tour of the 4 parks until such a time when a long-awaited boxed set would finally be available - although, as others are suggesting, this boxed set would have to be bigger than the 6 discs of DLs to truly do justice to ALL 4 of the parks. I like Club 33's idea of each park eventually getting it's own box. I'd buy 'em! ;)

On a semi-related note, I like the idea of each park having it's own strong identity, and I don't just mean for the purposes of releasing music. (but that too!) With all the parks bundled under the rubric of "WDW" (or worse, "Disney Parks"), too many important milestones, such as park and attraction aniversaries (that could be celebrated with merchandise!) are too easily overlooked.
Great point! How much music can fit into one disk?

DisneyChris

As long as they include "If You Had Wings" I am happy. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, IF YOU HAD WINGS!!!! I have been waiting patiently forever to have this song. Make a Disney Dream come true and realease it Randy!!!!