Two Dexter Riley-related questions

Dr. Know

First, does anyone have information on what has become of Robert F. Brunner, the composer of the scores to all three Dexter Riley films (and many other Disney comedies of the 1970s)? How I would love to have these scores on cd. It is possible to rip the title tracks from the dvds of Computer Wore Tennis Shoes and Strongest Man in the World, but the catchy theme to Now You See Him, Now You Don't is unfortunately never played without significant intrusions of dialogue and sfx.

Second, I noticed a "John Debney" credited as playing "John," one of Dexter's pals, in Strongest Man in the World. If I'm not mistaken, he is the kid seen playing a guitar at one point. Question: is this the same John Debney who would become one of the most prolific film music composers of our time? I think I read somewhere that his father had been an employee of Disney, though I haven't been able to find that piece of information again. Just curious!

Thanks
Jim

Yes, Bob Brunner is still alive and well and is providing many interesting bits of history for THE STORY OF DISNEYLAND RECORDS. His association with Disney actually goes all the way back to an appearance as a kid on one of the 1950s Mickey Mouse Club episodes (as a Talent Roundup winner, I think). One of the highlights of his Disney record career is the 1973 LP THE SOUNDS OF CHRISTMAS, wherein he arranged the music for the title song (which was written & sung by Pete Renoudet) and a catchy little ditty called "Here He Comes," which was written by Bob's parents in the early 1940s. Both songs are beautiful and deserve wider exposure!

Bob does not use e-mail to my knowledge, but if anyone wants to communicate with him, e-mail your notes to me and I will pass them along to Bob. He is extremely proud of his Disney work over the years.

Dr. Know

Tim

That's excellent news... I am glad to hear that Mr. Brunner is still around. I will compose a letter and send it on to you, if that's ok. I would love to tell him how much I have enjoyed his film scores going all the way back to my childhood.

Cheers
Jim

I have picture sleeve singles of The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes theme and He's Gonna Make It from Barefoot Executive, with kissable Kurt covers!

X-S Tech

Cool article Chris, though It's too bad the pics are so small. My fuzzy memories of this attraction are just about as clear as those pics. I was extremely young the last time I rode Knott's Beary Tales, I'm guessing 4 tops, but I have vivid memories of the overall atomosphere and one or two scenes. I remember feeling that the blacklight made the forest and the various locals seem much bigger than they possibly could have been. The world depicted was very convincing. I remember that Crafty Coyote was pretty scary, just the way he looked, not saying much, and that he existed in this wierd black glowing world. Thanks for the link.

For those who have never seen it - - Did you know there was a 1969 Kurt Russell solo LP on Capitol? - - that's right singing! He does a cover of Sugar, Sugar as performed on Disneyland Showtime!

ex-wdi

Cool article Chris, though It's too bad the pics are so small.

Yeah - sorry about that! I'm holding back better quality for the long-promised, I-hope-I-can-do-it-someday, history of Knott's Berry Farm book!

Yes, Bob Brunner is still alive and well and is providing many interesting bits of history for THE STORY OF DISNEYLAND RECORDS. His association with Disney actually goes all the way back to an appearance as a kid on one of the 1950s Mickey Mouse Club episodes (as a Talent Roundup winner, I think). One of the highlights of his Disney record career is the 1973 LP THE SOUNDS OF CHRISTMAS, wherein he arranged the music for the title song (which was written & sung by Pete Renoudet) and a catchy little ditty called "Here He Comes," which was written by Bob's parents in the early 1940s. Both songs are beautiful and deserve wider exposure!

Bob does not use e-mail to my knowledge, but if anyone wants to communicate with him, e-mail your notes to me and I will pass them along to Bob. He is extremely proud of his Disney work over the years.

As a KID in the 50s? Then how'd he score THAT DARN CAT and some other 1960s? A child prodigy? (obviously an uncle or his dad also named Bob Brunner.

BTW he returned to Disney to write with Garry Marshall the latter's big 1999 hit THE OTHER SISTER..